Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Syndil
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I have a vague recollection that on Andriod, (this is quite a while ago), V wasn't charging extra for GPS...am I correct, does that still the case?

Thanks and take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    They unlocked the GPS on Android and a few Windows Mobile handsets so that you could use third-party software with the GPS radio, such as Google Maps. But Verizon's own navigation app has never been free AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    They unlocked the GPS on Android and a few Windows Mobile handsets so that you could use third-party software with the GPS radio, such as Google Maps. But Verizon's own navigation app has never been free AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Hi & thank you...I assume you mean that Google unlocks the GPS radio as part of Android OS so it works with Google maps and therefore is free...as opposed to V who likes to charge for EVERY little thing!

Thanks in advance & take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    IIRC, Verizon used to have the GPS locked on Android so that it would only work with their own (paid) navigation app. They finally gave in to pressure from Google and started releasing patches to unlock the GPS in Android so that people could use it with Google Maps and other GPS apps.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    ilovedessert likes this.