View Poll Results: get daughter a Mac or PC for college?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mac

4 15.38%
  • PC

20 76.92%
  • keep the old laptop until is breaks

2 7.69%
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By geeksquadkid
  • 1 Post By fxspec06
  • 1 Post By jeffmcc
  • 1 Post By geeksquadkid
  • 1 Post By jeffmcc
  1.    #1  
    Daughter is heading off to college in a few weeks. ( ! ! ! ) We want to replace her old laptop. She doesn't know if she wants a Mac or a PC. She's had a PC for over 4 years and hasn't really had problems with it. She's used to it and doesn't want to learn something new. But, it seems more people are going Mac. The cost looks to be 2 to 3 times the price of a PC. Is it really worth it? Her friend got a Mac recently and it smoked and flamed after a few months, so please don't tell me Macs never break.
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by gaudenti View Post
    Daughter is heading off to college in a few weeks. ( ! ! ! ) We want to replace her old laptop. She doesn't know if she wants a Mac or a PC. She's had a PC for over 4 years and hasn't really had problems with it. She's used to it and doesn't want to learn something new. But, it seems more people are going Mac. The cost looks to be 2 to 3 times the price of a PC. Is it really worth it? Her friend got a Mac recently and it smoked and flamed after a few months, so please don't tell me Macs never break.
    Ding ding, sounds like a clear winner to me: PC.

That said, look into whether the college has any hardware discounts on laptops or rent to buy programs if she decides she really wants a Mac, but cost may be an issue. The other thing is to look at what classes she'd be taking for her degree program or extracurricular classes, as if it turns out to be more art-focused, most of them are going to be Mac users who probably won't waste time coming up with Windows alternatives for any needed software. Also, check out whether the school has its own special network system. I know my school's network ran on Linux and you could set up a special version of Ubuntu Linux on your PC that allowed you to use it as your personal computer but with all the abilities and program access of the school's network. Kind of a waste of money to me to get an expensive Mac if you're just going to throw Linux on there.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    If she's adamant about not learning something new, get her the Windows laptop. OS X can take all of a couple of days to really wrap your head around if you're an Apple virgin.

Or, if you haven't had your Apple popped!

Let me show you what cynicism looks like.
    I just finished my first year of collefe and I LOVE my PC. And you save ALOT of money.
    speedtouch likes this.
    I think everyone should experience owning a Mac at some point in their lives. The problem is that college is not the right time to learn that. There's 99,000 other things she needs to worry about, I wouldn't add one more thing to the list.

Also, take the money you save from the Mac and buy her a mouse, keyboard, extra battery, laptop bag, mousepad, stickers and glitter. And then take her out to eat a few times. You should still have a few hundred left over.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

speedtouch likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Also, take the money you save from the Mac and buy her a mouse, keyboard, extra battery, laptop bag, mousepad, stickers and glitter. And then take her out to eat a few times. You should still have a few hundred left over.
    I laughed so hard.
    Let me show you what cynicism looks like.
    Find out what the college uses and buy accordingly. If they use Windows, she could run into problems trying to use a Mac and vice versa.

---
    - Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I am a recent convert to Mac from PC. Both have their ups and downs. For instance, the gestures on a macbook make scrolling and switching spaces very easy and satisfying. With OSX Lion she will have access to the Mac App store where anytime she needs new software, it can simply be purchased through there. Also, the backlit keyboards on MacBooks are something I have grown to be unable to live without. I'm sure theres windows laptops with this capability but regardless I love it on my MacBook.

However, while most people claim OSX is easier to use, I have found it to be the opposite. There is a lot more to it than windows. One thing I miss terribly from windows 7 is the simple "snap" feature that microsoft advertised in their commercials. You can drag an open window to one side and it will "snap" open and fill up exactly half the screen and then do the same with another window on the other side. For writing papers where you will need to switch back and forth between your document and the internet, this is a lifesaver. I do not like how OSX manages open windows.

In closing, as a gamer I regret moving to Macs and will eventually rebuild another gaming rig. However, I agree with fxspec06 that everyone should own a mac at some point. It is a fun OS and I like to keep myself well rounded and open to all different UX's.
    I dream of World Wide webOS.
    IMHO, nothing on the Mac makes up for the oppressed feeling I get from using them.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Buy her a 2010 Macbook Pro, and bootcamp Win7 on it, so she can try both and decide for herself?
    Good idea....but she should get a windows system(cheap). It will come with windows, she can install hackntosh(Lion) and Linux(if she wants an easy fast OS as well)

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    To me there is no doubt here regarding the question at hand. I was going to go into a longer analysis here, but then I think why bother? The merits of either system aren't so relevant here. Get the PC and forget everything else. She already knows windows, which will remain vastly dominant, and she has no problems with it.

As someone else also pointed out, she will be bombarded with enough new experiences in college, so no reason to go making a change here just for the sake of it, especially if it would be more costly.

Concerning colleges themselves, most will support all platforms, and if ever they prefer one platform, it is almost always windows anyway. (The only exception I've ever seen is with schools that are heavy in art and design [mac], or heavy in comp-sci/engineering [linux]).

Remember guys, we have to look at this through the prism of an everyday end user, not folks like ourselves.
    Last edited by sq5; 08/07/2011 at 02:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Remember guys, we have to look at this through the prism of an everyday end user, not folks like ourselves.

Then unless the everyday user has the extra cash they should stick with windows.

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    geeksquadkid likes this.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    That depends on how you want here to turn out!

Edit - Rather more disturbing, coincidentally just seen this picture of a looter from last night's shenanigans in London.
    Last edited by tirk; 08/09/2011 at 06:38 AM.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    In a PC, you get what you pay for.

In a Mac, you pay three times as much and get instant coolness and classroom rep.

If your daughter is the hipster type, get her a Mac so that she may drink her venti decaf triple-shot soy non-foam sugar-free whipped-cream latte in style without fear of anybody mistaking her for just another person, even if it means fewer programs and usability issues. If she's never worked with a Mac before, she'll have a lot of fun with that terrible row of apps at the bottom of the screen going into hiding when you need it and popping up when you need it to stay away. I know I did.

If your daughter is the grounded type, buy her a PC and give her the other $1000 in cash so that she may enjoy her perfectly functional computer AND a few other perks at her own discretion.

If your daughter is the nerdy type, buy her a PC for the same price as you'd be ready to spend on a Mac and watch as that PC becomes sentient and starts on its crusade to kill all humans.
    I had one of those weeks ago @GuyFromNam
    jeffmcc likes this.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Ehhhh i can do all that on my phone... plus a 25mp cam....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    geeksquadkid likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    Then unless the everyday user has the extra cash they should stick with windows.
    Hehe, indeed. Touché.
    I would get a Mac. The learning curve isnt that bad at all… mostly everything is point and click..

She probably already uses iTunes and a iPod anyhow…