Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
    iPhone 3GS running iOS 5 (and running it well, by most accounts) makes me think there might be something to the rumor of Apple having an iPhone for each range this fall.
    Wow, remember this slide from the iPad 2 keynote in March?

<broken link removed>

Apple paid out an additional $500,000,000 in the 4 months that followed for a total of 2.5 billion paid to iOS developers. That's just insane.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/19/2011 at 09:11 PM.
    But but but wait, you all ain't being fair to Leo: "It a marathon, not a sprint."

With numbers like those, it will always be a marathon.

It would seem for anybody at the back of the tablet race, all races look like a marathon.

It would seem that for 9.25 million iPad buyers, flash and "real multitasking" is not a deciding factor.

Wonder what it would take to sell 9 million flash based tablets in one quarter. Or for that matter, are there even 9 million flash tablets in the hands of users?
    Last edited by sinsin07; 07/19/2011 at 06:04 PM.
    When they use the marathon analogy, I think they are implying something along the lines of the tortoise beating the hare. Which is a nice enough fable but how do you catch up to numbers like 100,000 apps or 2.5 billion dollars paid to developers or 9.25 million iPads sold in 3 months?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    When they use the marathon analogy, I think they are implying something along the lines of the tortoise beating the hare. Which is a nice enough fable but how do you catch up to numbers like 100,000 apps or 2.5 billion dollars paid to developers or 9.25 million iPads sold in 3 months?
    Easy. You soft launch the Touchpad and Veer. One Two Punch. That's why they got that boxer Pacquiao to advertise it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I think they should stop using the Marathon Analogy, unless they don't mind being analogized as the avg Joe marathoner. Elite & Professional Marathoners usually finish the race in just over 2 hours (usually less than half the time it takes the average runner to finish the race). It's already been over a year since the merger, if HP doesn't pick things up soon, they won't stand a chance at catching up to the "Elite runners" of this "Marathon".

I understand the whole long term strategy thing, but HP has to create some serious momentum over the next 12 months to stay in the race. HP probably sees itself as officially starting this "marathon" with the TouchPad launch; so we'll see where they end up 6 mo - 1 yr from now.
    It's like that old argument about how the smartphone battle is in its infancy because there are still X million feature phone users that haven't upgraded to smartphones yet. Yeah, they exist -- but what makes you think they'll want to upgrade to your smartphone?
    Guys.... we keep the "other handhelds" forums here to discuss and compare devices. If you wish to use this forum for that, please do. If you wish to discuss Apple please feel free to do so over on our sister site TiPb.
    Cantaffordit and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    Just to clarify: I DONT own 10000 shares, but WISHED I did!
    Ahhh Man! i was actually damn happy for you. Hell i wish i had 10000 shares too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    Letīs be honest... the iPhone 3GS is Pre3 competition, since it too will run iOS5.
    I'll be honest. I think the 3GS, the iphone4, and every slick android slab, the evo slider phone, and down the road possibly even WP7. Even in the short term Rim, though i think they are in deep trouble and in this country going in the wrong direction. But there's tons of competition for different reason. Like the 3GS simply because it's cheap. Everything is competition to a Pre 3 in my book. I've tried the other platforms. They are all pretty good.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Right. At the same time, they're selling another product that does much of what people used to buy Macs for.
    Yes. Some people call this "cannibalism". The other product seems to be cannibalizing the own computer's sales...

Decreased?
    Yes, and strong...

Guys.... we keep the "other handhelds" forums here to discuss and compare devices. If you wish to use this forum for that, please do. If you wish to discuss Apple please feel free to do so over on our sister site TiPb.
    I Agree. Imagine some people go to; for example, macmagazine and post the Samsung, HP, Google or M$ quarter results...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    yes they it will cannibalize their own sales... but to say that you also have to also take into account that they are also effecting non-mac sales and say that laptop/netbook/pc sales decreases... which are also very strong.

the the whole scope of that... then the decrease in their own line is not as concerning when they are taking away far more from those others.

i mean they say now for new college kids that one out of every 8 is an apple computer. geez.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Yes. Some people call this "cannibalism". The other product seems to be cannibalizing the own computer's sales...

Yes, and strong...

I Agree. Imagine some people go to; for example, macmagazine and post the Samsung, HP, Google or M$ quarter results...

Best Regards...
    to say that you also have to also take into account that they are also effecting non-mac sales and say that laptop/netbook/pc sales decreases... which are also very strong.
    I was waiting exactly this reply! But there is a little bit to see: the macs are decreasing the sales rhythm since before the Apple lauch the IPad...

But in the end, this only show that the Apple devices are the same thing that we find in all other brands, and his users are exactly like all users of other brands... no more, and no less, no better and so bad than... welcome to mortal land!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    As I said if H/P could sell half the number of iPad tablets in double the time, I would call that a success.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Well... the topic thread is not about the Apple?

Best Regards...
    Last edited by Rnp; 07/20/2011 at 10:36 AM.
    Apple's U.S. Mac sales gains again hit double-digits, experts forecast - Computerworld

Of the top five U.S. computer sellers -- Acer, Apple, Dell, Hewlett-Packard and Toshiba -- only Apple and Toshiba showed year-over-year sales gains.

Apple will have outpaced the computer industry average for the 21st consecutive quarter.
    2 over 1 = increase 100% // 10.000 over 1.000.000 = increase 1%

If is bigger, need more to show that his growth.

I'm not saying that is decreasing, I'm saying that his growth is slowing.

2008 =(2.524.000)=> 2009 =(3.360.000 - 31% )=> 2010 =(4.130.000 - 23%)=> 2011;
    in other words, 2009 increased in 31% and 2010 increased in 23 %, but the first post show increased in 14% in this quarter...

Sources:
    2008 - http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/01/21results.html
    2009 - Apple Q1 2010 Earnings Analysis
    2010 - Apple's Insane Q1 '11: $26.7 Billion Revenue, $6 Billion Profit; 7.33 Million iPads, 16.24 Million iPhones | TechCrunch

Best Regards...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Well... the topic thread is not about the Apple?

Best Regards...
    Yes, but please read my post above... I was trying to get the point across that the purpose of these forums is to discuss and compare devices, not simply talk about a competing company. The thread can be moved to off-topic of people wish to continue the conversation - that's not a problem. But we want to keep the main forums themselves for device discussions.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12