Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AZ8
  1. AZ8
    AZ8 is offline
    AZ8's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
       #1  
    Regardless of brand....I've tried them all. Ive spent hours at my local BB playing around with them and have found them to not be an appealing experience. The OS is not the issue here. Im not comfortable holding them, surfing the web with them, playing games or any other function.

    Maybe in time my thoughts will change but right now the "coolness" factor doesn't supercede the "functionality" factor of my laptop.

    Anyways....jus some random thoughts on this glorious Sunday!
    C-Note likes this.
  2. #2  
    I've yet to lust after a tablet as well.
    If I can't keep it on my person, then i don't need it.
  3. #3  
    Think of when you're out of the home or office. Laptops are more vulnerable. I thought I didn't need an iPad until I realized I could leave my precious laptop(more like the precious data) at home.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4. #4  
    Hi all,

    I agree with the original poster...I don't need one or want one. I don't like typing on glass.....also due to my disability I cannot easily or comfortably look down or hold a tablet. That means I need a book stand and a blue tooth keyboard. If I need all of that, why not just use my laptop?

    The only thing I could possible see me ever using one is to send a recipe to it and have it mounted at eye level so that i can follow a recipe....and I can't see spending for it for that reason. I can print up the recipe & not care if I get cake batter on it.

    None of those reason apply to the fact that I'm glad they make them and I'm glad webOS has a tablet.

    Take care,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  5. jeffmcc's Avatar
    Posts
    619 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #5  
    Good arguments,

    I can see where you tablet haterz stand. I like having a laptop because of the functionality of it. Being able to connect my phones and devices to it and syncing them. And other different things. A tablet is nice to be able to have when you want to whip out a device that is bigger than a phone and play movies and surf the internet. They are nice to have to show things to friends. They are also very portable. My laptop battery last maybe 3 hrs at the most. Where as the iPad lasts about 10 hrs. And having to carry my laptop and accessories is a pain at times. But if i could connect my devices to a tablet i would much prefer that. Like i have an Arduino micro computer and i need to have it plugged into my laptop to connect it to the java programing software. Or if i want to share files with someone all i have to do is plug a flash-drive into my laptop and copy over files. That i cant do on a tablet. Oh and then like watching DVDs. i cant put a disc into a tablet....

    NOT "HP webOS"!!!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

    I agree with the original poster...I don't need one or want one. I don't like typing on glass.....also due to my disability I cannot easily or comfortably look down or hold a tablet. That means I need a book stand and a blue tooth keyboard. If I need all of that, why not just use my laptop?

    The only thing I could possible see me ever using one is to send a recipe to it and have it mounted at eye level so that i can follow a recipe....and I can't see spending for it for that reason. I can print up the recipe & not care if I get cake batter on it.

    None of those reason apply to the fact that I'm glad they make them and I'm glad webOS has a tablet.

    Take care,

    Jay
    How's that book coming along Jay?
    If you haven't started yet, it's a disgrace!
    Take care.
  7. #7  
    for me, no more lugging laptop + case that I pack way too much crapola in.

    Biggest plus is the Cocoon case kinda looks like a murse, so I can get my hipster on.
    I see pandas.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    How's that book coming along Jay?
    If you haven't started yet, it's a disgrace!
    Take care.

    Hi actually I have written 3 chapters, there not very good, but 3 chapters it is!

    Take care,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Think of when you're out of the home or office. Laptops are more vulnerable. I thought I didn't need an iPad until I realized I could leave my precious laptop(more like the precious data) at home.
    All of my data is backed up to SugarSync, (but won't be for long if they don't show webOS some love on the mobile side ). So not only do I not worry about losing the laptop, but I can work on the home or office computer (or even on your computer via their web interface) and keep everything synced.

    If I can't connect directly to a network device (router, switch, or firewall) or can't type a long missive comfortably, I don't need it... yet. I could see the tablet as a great way to carry tons of technical data without lugging around books.

    I ride a motorcycle and have had my laptop (in a napsack) go through all sorts of indignities - rainstorms, falls, etc - and it's never been a problem for me.

    I not a big TV watcher, even when I'm home, so being able to see movies on a tablet does not have a great deal of appeal for me. But "different strokes for different folks"...
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    Regardless of brand....I've tried them all. Ive spent hours at my local BB playing around with them and have found them to not be an appealing experience.


    Maybe in time my thoughts will change but right now the "coolness" factor doesn't supercede the "functionality" factor of my laptop.
    I'm with you. And I really want to like a tablet. I feel like I'm supposed to like them. I'm a tech guy, I guess. (4 phones, 1 laptop, 3 computers, one mi-fi hotspot and one 4g modem device)

    Most of my companions who are working professionals have come to the same conclusion. The marketing and sales guys are the only ones in my work circles carrying them because they are cool and make a good impression at meetings.

    I can understand an e-book reader, even the color ones, I might even get one for the old lady for our anniversary (I hope she's not reading this ) But none of them seem quite ready for prime time yet. Maybe in 6 months to a year.

    C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )

Posting Permissions