1.    #1  
    My mother who is a technophobe and has very little idea how to use a computer needs a laptop for some things, checking email, doing some online classes etc

I'm not 100% yet whether a laptop would be best for her or maybe an ipad (though not sure how well she will take to a touch screen)

I have a budget of about 450 and core features in the laptop would ideally be

13-15 inch screen
    good battery life
    Fairly fast
    Something light, under 4.5 lbs
    802.11 N

Things like hard drive space are not that important as she is never going to come close to filling it with anything nor are graphics as shes not going be doing any gaming.
    Last edited by kel101; 07/14/2011 at 12:00 PM.
    Get her a TouchPad~
    Let me show you what cynicism looks like.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAngelOfElysium View Post
    Get her a TouchPad~
    the initial learning curve will be too much for her and she will give up, yeah shes that bad. And its not stable enough for someone of her experience to use competently
    Difficult question, depends on the user. Tablet might seem the obvious choice, but being a technophobe, she might not be able to get used to typing on a touchscreen. But if you get her something that is too unfamiliar, like a laptop, she might just refuse to use it, which would be money wasted. Have to match the technology to the person. Might also consider Google TV.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Difficult question, depends on the user. Tablet might seem the obvious choice, but being a technophobe, she might not be able to get used to typing on a touchscreen. But if you get her something that is too unfamiliar, like a laptop, she might just refuse to use it, which would be money wasted. Have to match the technology to the person. Might also consider Google TV.
    needs to be something she can take around, she has used a laptop before, and though shes slow, as long as she has instructions she can achieve what she needs to.
    In that case a 15.6" laptop is going to be your best bet. 15.6" is the most common size, and therefore cheapest. Anything smaller or larger is going to increase the price. I'd personally recommend a Lenovo G570, although there are plenty of choices in this category.

Scratch that, too heavy. Going to need to pay a bit more and get something 13 or 14 inches. 450 is about $725 US, so should be able to accomplish that and stay in budget. Lenovo G470, or if she can do without an optical drive, Ideapad U460 is even lighter with better battery life. U260 is even thinner and lighter, but has a 12.5" screen. Not sure if that counts as 13 inches to you.
    Last edited by Syndil; 07/15/2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I bought a N510 netbook (when it was just out), and it's a great mom-book (we use it as a couch-book).
    You probably can't buy it anywhere, but anything similar should do just fine. Resolution's great for older eyes too.
    I agree. Go with a low res netbook, like 800 x 600 w/ 7" or 8" screen.

It's small so there will be less problems. or less frustration to the problems.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I agree. Go with a low res netbook, like 800 x 600 w/ 7" or 8" screen.

It's small so there will be less problems. or less frustration to the problems.
    The N510 is 1366x768. 11.6" and an ION chip.
    It's anything but lores.
    I use and highly recommend a Lenovo X120e, but the OP said a screen size of 13" - 15", which says to me that he considered and decided against netbooks.

But if you are going to go the netbook route, considering the budget, may as well go top-end and get a next-gen AMD Fusion E-series processor in there. Good luck finding an X120e in stock anywhere though. Really high demand for them apparently, as they are backordered even on Lenovo's website.

Personally, for someone a bit older, I would stick with the original plan and get something bigger. Netbooks are for ultra-portability. If she's not going to be carrying it around much, no sense in sacrificing screen size.
    Touchscreens are a fad.