Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Netflix just announced a big price increase,so I went looking for alternatives and found this:

"Barbara Ortutay, AP Technology Writer, On Wednesday July 13, 2011, 6:02 pm EDT

NEW YORK (AP) -- Even with a fee hike, millions of Netflix subscribers will be spending less each month than what it costs two adults to watch a single movie in a theater.

Yet the company, which is usually well-liked, managed to irk many of its 23 million U.S. customers by raising what it charges for streaming movies and TV shows over the Internet and sending DVDs by mail. The increase is as high as 60 percent.

For the disgruntled bunch, or those looking to expand their media-consumption horizons, there are a growing number of options for watching movies and TV shows online, on DVDs or through cable TV's on-demand services.

The right option for you will depend on your appetite for video. Do you want the latest movies or the greatest classics? Would you prefer cheap or better on-the-go access? How many movies do you watch each month?

If that red DVD envelope from Netflix has been gathering dust, unopened, since "Jersey Shore" premiered in 2009, it might be time to ditch that DVD plan.

Of the online options, Netflix has the most content available for streaming over the Internet, though cable TV providers have pay-per-view options with a better selection of recent movies. Apple and Amazon, meanwhile, let you rent a la carte if you don't want to commit to a monthly plan but want the latest movies.

What's clear: New rates take effect immediately for new customers and on Sept. 1 for existing ones.

Netflix Inc. split the options for streaming and DVDs by mail. It is charging $16 combined for streaming and one DVD at a time, a 60 percent increase from $10 under the old package. Smaller fee increases are coming for Netflix more expensive plans, which offer more DVDs.

A plan that offers only online streaming remains unchanged at $8 per month. That may be all you need, but the selections are more limited than the DVD plans.

So have a seat. Grab some popcorn. Consider these video consumption options."

The rest of the article:

Beyond Netfix
    Last edited by BobKy; 07/31/2011 at 09:23 PM.
    Yeah, this really ticked me off. I hate monthly fees, so I'll probably be ditching Netflix before the rate hike, just to make a point. IMO not really any place else to go... yet. But I believe this opens the door to competition. It's NOT OK to simply hike up my bill 60% and expect me to go along with it. Hell no.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Yeah I've been off and on with Netflix but I think I'm going to stop my monthly fees for good soon.
    I've been using zediva.com

It's like having a home version of Redbox.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the tip on Zediva.com

Pricing | Zediva

The article points out that Amazon has free on-line movies (about 6000 titles) as a benefit of being a Prime member. Watched my first movie on Amazon last night
    It's been stated that part of this is due to the content providers demanding higher fees from Netflix. Netflix looks like the lone bad guy but I suspect there's something to the higher fee stories. I wonder if the raise was to $12, would people be less upset?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #7  
    More good news for some:

"On Wednesday July 20, 2011, 2:59 pm

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Members of online retailer Amazon.com Inc.'s premium shipping program will be able to stream CBS Corp. TV shows, the companies said Wednesday.

The companies did not disclose terms of their licensing agreement.

The deal will add 2,000 TV episodes to the content that members of Amazon Prime can already access, bringing the total of free content to over 8,000 movies and TV shows, Amazon said. In February, Amazon began offering about 5,000 movies and TV shows from its on-demand video service to Prime members for free."

Amazon to stream CBS shows free to Prime members - Yahoo! Finance
    There's a running list of sites in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-video-tv.html
    Thanks for the heads up on Amazon Prime. I just checked it out. $79 a year works out to $6.58 a month, and I buy so much stuff from Amazon it might be worth that anyway. But the list of movies eligible for Amazon Prime is woefully short. Not a Netflix replacement contender, IMO.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  10.    #10  
    HelloNNNewman,
    Thanks!!

Syndil,
    I agree at Amazon Prime is not a Netflix replacement. FYI, I absolutely love Prime,as I often buy things from Amazon.
    Face it, Netflix does not have a competitor... that is why they can do what they want.

The people blowing air about this price increase still know you still can't "replace" netflix for the same price or cheaper (even at the higher rates).

I looked... it is not possible at this time... unless you want to pay more. For $19.98 I'll get two movies at a time out, along with unlimited streaming...

Thought I'd stick it to netflix and go to blockbuster for my movie rentals... oh, well... that is $14.99 for two movies... then I'd have the $8 streaming at netflix.

Redbox sucks... I don't want to go out in the heat and cold to rent a movie... been there, done that. Plus, I ended up paying more per month.

Fact is that netflix is a great deal at the higher costs...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I said that they don't have a competitor. Not the point here.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  13.    #13  
    You said:

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    But the list of movies eligible for Amazon Prime is woefully short.Not a Netflix replacement contender, IMO.

I said:

I agree at Amazon Prime is not a Netflix replacement.
    I was agreeing with you;guess I should have added the word "contender."
    I was responding to Theog last time.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I was responding to Theog last time.
    That is the main point... The topic is "where else to get your flix fix". Not sure how how not having competition and then a post (mine) backing up what I stated, is not on topic.

What are you going to do? Leave and pay more someplace else out of principle? Good luck.

Sounds like you were a little ****ed that someone is not ****ed that netflix raised the rates... hey, content costs money.

Made my post so others won't have to waste their time looking for something that does not exist for the VAST majority of netflix users: Another alternative. lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I'm not ****ed about anything other than Netflix arbitrarily deciding to raise my rates 60% without even bothering to give me a reach-around. That sort of behavior--regardless the company or the product they provide--is unacceptable. If Netflix has no competitors, then I will manage to live without until a competitor does present itself, just as I did before Netflix.

I was quite happy with Redbox, especially with the free rental coupons they kept sending me. Not as convenient, but with the price increase, Netflix's convenience is no longer worth the higher cost over Redbox. Not to me anyway.

With Netflix, I had the one-at-a-time plan, and probably watched an average of 6 movies a month. On Redbox, assuming I use my one free coupon a month, that would cost me $5. With Netflix costing $9 and having the bonus of online streaming, it was worth the difference. With Netflix costing $16, it's no longer worth it to me. And if I'm going to do away with streaming, $5 is cheaper than $8, and I can get movies when I want, instead of having to wait for the mail.

And no, Netflix can only "do what they want" as long as the consumer allows it. I for one am not going to allow it. I don't care what others decide to do as it does not affect me at all.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  17.    #17  
    Wal-Mart offers video streaming on website - Yahoo! Finance

Mae Anderson, AP Retail Writer, On Tuesday July 26, 2011, 5:29 pm EDT

NEW YORK (AP) -- Now playing: Movies at Walmart.com.

The world's largest retailer on Tuesday started streaming many movies the same day they come out on DVD, in a second bid for a share of popular movie rental and streaming website Netflix Inc.'s business and just two weeks after Netflix announced new price increases.
    IMO not really any place else to go... yet. But I believe this opens the door to competition.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I'm not ****ed about anything other than Netflix arbitrarily deciding to raise my rates 60% without even bothering to give me a reach-around. That sort of behavior--regardless the company or the product they provide--is unacceptable. If Netflix has no competitors, then I will manage to live without until a competitor does present itself, just as I did before Netflix.

I was quite happy with Redbox, especially with the free rental coupons they kept sending me. Not as convenient, but with the price increase, Netflix's convenience is no longer worth the higher cost over Redbox. Not to me anyway.

With Netflix, I had the one-at-a-time plan, and probably watched an average of 6 movies a month. On Redbox, assuming I use my one free coupon a month, that would cost me $5. With Netflix costing $9 and having the bonus of online streaming, it was worth the difference. With Netflix costing $16, it's no longer worth it to me. And if I'm going to do away with streaming, $5 is cheaper than $8, and I can get movies when I want, instead of having to wait for the mail.

And no, Netflix can only "do what they want" as long as the consumer allows it. I for one am not going to allow it. I don't care what others decide to do as it does not affect me at all.
    Netflix is still the best value for its price. Sucks they raised the price but good luck getting the same bang for your buck elsewhere.

Put like that, I agree with you 100%.

There are some out there who don't care about the 60% price increase... it sounds like a lot when put like that, but it is really a small $ amount for many of Netflix users.

$5 vs. $8... if that makes a difference in your life, I can't (and won't) knock that.. or mock it. I've been there, too.

If netflix fails, I fear we will never have a real alternative... the owners of the content want to make the most out of that content... they will keep driving prices up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast