Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    If Netflix fails before a competitor comes along, the owners of the content will lose an outlet for selling their content.

Anyway, I've been overruled by the other half. We're keeping Netflix. I actually won a powerline ethernet adapter kit from Netgear which I received just yesterday, and I used it to bring Netflix instant streaming to the Blu-Ray in the bedroom. Yes, the player had a wired connection but no WiFi. Cheap. Anyway she doesn't want to give it up now.

The cost was never the issue. We both work, no kids, and we bought a house that cost less than 50% of what we were approved for so we wouldn't be house poor. It just ticked me off. IF Netflix had even bothered to make just a little bit of effort to soften the blow--like for example giving us a free 3-month upgrade to 2 at a time or Blu Ray--then I probably would have just let it blow over. But no, just a notification that, hey you gotta pay more, tough s***, sorry 'bout your luck. I mean come on. Give me something.

Just like those surveys I sometimes get in the mail or see on websites. Offer me something (coupon, chance to enter sweepstakes, whatever) and I'll complete the survey. Don't offer me anything, then forget it. Not doing it.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  2.    #22  
    In Deal With NBC, Amazon Seeks to Widen Its Video Streaming Service

By BRIAN STELTER
    Published: July 28, 2011

Amazon, the online retailing giant, announced a deal with NBCUniversal for access to part of Universal Pictures’ film library on Thursday, its second such pact in the streaming video space in as many weeks.
    The attention around its content acquisitions suggests a budding rivalry with Netflix and a strategy of stocking up on films and TV shows for the tablet computer that the company is developing. Much like Apple, Amazon wants to have an assortment of content available for owners of the forthcoming device.

The NBC deal gives Amazon nonexclusive access to films like “Elizabeth,” “Babe” and “Billy Elliott.”

Last week, Amazon and CBS announced a similar deal that lets Amazon stream about 2,000 episodes of older TV shows like “The Tudors” and “Medium.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/29/bu...er=rss&emc=rss
    I'm surprised no one has brought this option up yet?
    But there's nothing like seeing movies on the big screen at a theater. Independent theaters are an especially great way to explore classics and lesser known movies. Sure its more expensive than netflix or red box, but its worth it, IMO.
    I go to the symphony as often as I can, why hasn't anyone brought that option up yet? Or baseball games. Why hasn't anyone brought those up?

Because they don't apply to this discussion. Neither does going out to the theater, which I also do regularly.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    The op asked ' how do you get your flicks fix'? In fact going to the movies is how I like to get my flicks fix and it's how movies were originally made to be seen. Especially the classics. It's totally relevant Syndil, sorry if you don't see it. I predict that more people will go to the movies now in reaction to Netflix's move.

PS: Going to the symphony may be irrelevant, but a wonderful experience too.
    GuyFromNam likes this.
    Before I spend $7-10 on one movie, I'd just buck up and pay Netflix's extra $4 a month that they think I can sacrifice a latte a month for, like I'd waste money on terrible expensive coffee in the first place. But I'm not doing the latter, so I'm not doing the former either.

That said, I actually have seen more movies in the theater than usual this year. A whopping three! But they were all superhero movies, it's been a big year for those. Thor and First Class were great btw, Captain America, not so much.

But anyway, I'm going back to the old fashioned way, supplemented by Hulu and Youtube via Playon, the latter of which has some unexpected gems (well, if you watch anime anyway). I like that Amazon Prime works via the web browser without that POS Silverlight, but until it gets console and mobile support (even if I have to get it via a third party like Playon), it's worthless to me.

Like Syndil, it's not so much the price increase means Netflix doesn't hold a good value. I was on the three-out plan because a lot of stuff I watched either wasn't streaming (non-network TV series) or was streaming in crappy dubs and frankly, no one wants to get to the WHAM episode on Disc 3 and have to wait a total of two weeks before you can finish the headlong epic conclusion of the series on Disc 6 because you're on a snail 1-out plan. Nooo, I want to send Discs 1-3 back and give me Discs 4-6 by the end of the week.

Rather, it was that Netflix has the worst customer service on the face of this Earth. It was that when they mess up and send you an email saying they're going to offer you a whopping 3% credit if you accept it, they don't even give it to you when you accept it! It was not having a legitimate complaint resolution method - their phone line is a joke. It was JUST raising my price $3 in January. It was the impending removal of DVD management features from mobile devices. It was the removal of Add to the DVD queue from their own streaming apps. It was the steadfast refusal to come out with a native streaming solution for Linux. It was me not wanting to bend over and ask for some more.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    I looked at my Netflix compared to my value, for as much stuff as we watch together and I watch by myself, I spend about 25 cents a view, that's with the upcoming price increase, so it doesn't bother me, at all.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12