1.    #1  
    tired of everyone always posting amazon prices and then saying "no tax"

Amazon charges tax these days.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  2. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Only for states that require it, or for states in which they have a physical presence.
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    tired of everyone always posting amazon prices and then saying "no tax"

Amazon charges tax these days.
    Nope. Amazon doesn't charge me tax...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    No tax here. Internet resellers are required to charge you state sales tax only if they have a physical presence in your state. Luckily for me, Amazon apparently doesn't have any buildings in Indiana.

According to the law, you are actually required to pay use tax on anything you purchase without paying sales tax. The use tax rate is identical to the sales tax rate, so if everyone followed the law to the letter, it does not matter whether or not a reseller charges sales tax or not, since you are still required to pay use tax on it if they don't.

But few people actually do what they are supposed to do and pay use tax. However, state and federal lawmakers are working to make it more difficult to avoid paying use tax.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, basically it comes down to if you live in a democrat or repub majority state. In general democrat states can never get enough money so they find ways to tax.
    I believe Republican led states have tried that route too. Amazon generally pulls out its affiliates then. But it cannot use that loophole in states where they have a distribution center, that is a physical presence. Therefore the OP is right, and so are the ones that say Amazon does not charge tax. It's where you live.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    yeah, basically it comes down to if you live in a democrat or repub majority state. In general democrat states can never get enough money so they find ways to tax.
    An unfounded claim that reveals your bias.
    Touchscreens are a fad.