1.    #1  
    I just started using it today and I have a cable connection. Seems to me my connection is pretty slow as my uploads are around 10 k/s even when sending files to DSL+ connections.

I know WinMX asked me about UDPs and having a direct connection but apparently I could not have a primary connection. I have a wireless linksys router, so I do not know how to open up the bandwidth.

Any suggestions?
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
  2. cml
    WinMX works great for me. Make sure you are not in primary mode because it sucks up bandwidth like water. Perhaps it could be the router... check to see what ports WinMX is using and go to your router setup to let that good stuff through. I wouldn't know anymore because I had to change the ports...

I swear by WinMX. Totally ad-free and spyware-free like other programs (Kazaa) ...

- cml
  3.    #3  
    I really don't my ads so much as long as they are not popups and are only on the sides. I had been using Qtraxmax but the last upgrade crashed my system and after I fixed it there selection went downhill and my speed dropped dramatically! WinMX seems to have a lot more users!
  4.    #4  
    So how do you read the k/s? If you are on a 56K dial up mode, what speed should you be moving at (usually it is between .1 and 1). DSL and higher is usually around 10, what does it mean?
  5. cml
    Originally posted by Doggy
    So how do you read the k/s? ...
    Normally 'Net speeds are measured in kbps (kilobits per second, like 56 kbps) but download speeds are in KBps (kiloBYTES per second, like 7 KBps).

There are 8 bits for every BYTE, so if you have a 56 kbps connection you should get around 7 KBps (56 kbps divided by 8 bits per byte = 7 KBps).

It won't be exact because, by doing this, we are assuming there are 1000 bits in a kilobit (kb).There are actually 1024 bits in a kilobit.
    We are also assuming that both the receiving computer and sending computer are using the maximum amount of bandwidth available, and that the sending computer has equal or more bandwidth available to it than you do.

Make sense? Sorry if I confuse you but this is the only way I can think of explaining it.

- cml
  6.    #6  
    Makes a lot of sense, thank you!
    I have found Kazaa Lite the best right now. I say right now, because they seem to fluctuate by users in the network.

Zero Paid - Has all the info I ever needed about P2P.