Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ilovedessert
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Interest idea! Please use the supplied link.

take care,

Jay

Rethinking Apps: Why Nokia, Microsoft, Google, RIM, and HP Should Partner Together
    Posted by Chuong Nguyen | July 1, 2011

Rethinking Apps: Why Nokia, Microsoft, Google, RIM, and HP Should Partner Together

Apps. They’re beautifully created, thoughtfully purposed programs that help us extend the value of our smartphones by tapping into a whole universe beyond the basic silicon, glass, plastics, and other materials that are part of the physical phones. And Apple’s clever marketing campaign has led us to believe that there should be an app for everything–from the games that we love to the photo sharing site that we frequent, to the social networks that pervade our own digital existence. It’s now been three years since the first native app appeared on the iPhone, and developers have gone a long way, utilizing different methods to monetize their apps, different social and cloud services to connect their audiences with, and different hardware APIs and SDKs to tap into to leverage the full potential of the smartphone. However, now, with apps beginning to mature and rival platforms demonstrating their hardware prowess, is the time, I posit, to re-think apps and give web apps a second chance. Doing so could potentially disrupt the app ecosystem that Apple has been successful in defining.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    cellmatrix likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    the app ecosystem that Apple has been successful in defining.
    Apple and Palm used to be equal in terms of handset profits back in 2007, but since that time Palm/HP profits have (sadly) plummetted, while Apple now takes in half of the profits in the whole handset industry.

But while banding together with the others and copying apple is one short term strategy, a much better strategy in the long run would be for HP, to out-innovate Apple. Palm used to be a high power innovator in its early days - would love to see that again.

Last edited by cellmatrix; 07/08/2011 at 04:38 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Hi,

When it became clear that it wasn't that hard to port certain games and certain types of apps written in certain computer languages, Apple decided to require apps be written in only certain languages or they wouldn't allow them to be sold at the Apple app store....the DOJ started snooping around and a number of app firms were very upset over this...

Once the DOJ took notice Apple backed down.....that's why the other firms need to make apps work on multiple platforms....as Apple basically is setting the ground rules of what an app can be, how much Apple gets to keep & what it can sell for.

IMHO sooner or later Apple will have to change the way if runs the App store and Itunes....several lawsuits across the country, (state and private) have already or in the process of trying to force Apple to change it's business practices....I know the music industry is also suing Apple/Itunes.

The first push back from Apple seems to be the Newspaper and magazine business, who feels they can't afford to give apple a 30% cut. Financial Times, (FT), is dropping it's support of it's own app, knowing the Apple would more than likely kick them out of the App store, when it decided it was going to support an "mini" app that will work on all platforms, that takes you to their website....where you pay FT for a subscription not Apple and FT gets to keep all of the $ not a 70/30 cut with Apple. The industry is waiting to see what happens. My guess is you will see more of this, as it is getting too expensive for companies to support so many platforms or they will do what the article suggests and work together.

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Hi,

When it became clear that it wasn't that hard to port certain games and certain types of apps written in certain computer languages, Apple decided to require apps be written in only certain languages or they wouldn't allow them to be sold at the Apple app store....the DOJ started snooping around and a number of app firms were very upset over this...

Once the DOJ took notice Apple backed down.....that's why the other firms need to make apps work on multiple platforms....as Apple basically is setting the ground rules of what an app can be, how much Apple gets to keep & what it can sell for.

IMHO sooner or later Apple will have to change the way if runs the App store and Itunes....several lawsuits across the country, (state and private) have already or in the process of trying to force Apple to change it's business practices....I know the music industry is also suing Apple/Itunes.

The first push back from Apple seems to be the Newspaper and magazine business, who feels they can't afford to give apple a 30% cut. Financial Times, (FT), is dropping it's support of it's own app, knowing the Apple would more than likely kick them out of the App store, when it decided it was going to support an "mini" app that will work on all platforms, that takes you to their website....where you pay FT for a subscription not Apple and FT gets to keep all of the $ not a 70/30 cut with Apple. The industry is waiting to see what happens. My guess is you will see more of this, as it is getting too expensive for companies to support so many platforms or they will do what the article suggests and work together.

take care,

Jay
    Jay, I really can see you have a lot of insight and behind the scenes knowledge of the business end of this. I really appreciate learning from your posts, including this one. However, it seems to me that its not only marketing, but innovation which is also a large part of what makes apple successful. And the only way you are going to bring apple down is to grab the bull by both of its horns - otherwise you are going to get gouged. I agree this hypothetical Nokia/HP/Google/Microsoft consortium could put together an app store clone or a collection of web apps that can undercut what apple charges. But when apple changes the playing field and brings in some new innovation that gives their app distribution system a competitive advantage, what could this consortium do?This consortium would need more than just a marketing agreement, they would need to have some collective and sizeable R&D to keep innovation at the cutting edge. Otherwise Apple will outcompete them in the long run. Thats whats been lacking in Palm and now HP for some time, sure they can market, but they need put more energy into innovation. Its an area I really hope that Palm/HP can understand, because I would like to see them successful again.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 07/08/2011 at 08:30 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    Jay, I really can see you have a lot of insight and behind the scenes knowledge of the business end of this. I really appreciate learning from your posts, including this one. However, it seems to me that its not only marketing, but innovation which is also a large part of what makes apple successful. And the only way you are going to bring apple down is to grab the bull by both of its horns - otherwise you are going to get gouged. I agree this hypothetical Nokia/HP/Google/Microsoft consortium could put together an app store clone or a collection of web apps that can undercut what apple charges. But when apple changes the playing field and brings in some new innovation that gives their app distribution system a competitive advantage, what could this consortium do?This consortium would need more than just a marketing agreement, they would need to have some collective and sizeable R&D to keep innovation at the cutting edge. Otherwise Apple will outcompete them in the long run. Thats whats been lacking in Palm and now HP for some time, sure they can market, but they need put more energy into innovation. Its an area I really hope that Palm/HP can understand, because I would like to see them successful again.
    Hi & Thank you,

(here is my meandering answer and thoughts about Apple).

I agree Apple's designs are cutting edge and so are how they work....what saddens me about Apple is that Jobs is doing exactly what he repeatedly accused Bill Gates & MS of doing. That is to not play fair.

Since I know there are a number of lawsuits looking to change the way Apple runs The App Store/Itunes store...I assume they will most likely force Apple to accept all devices for music download.

One of the members of this site worked at one time for Real Music (I believe that was the one), he mentioned how difficult Apple made life for them.

It's one thing that Apple wants to sell only to it's own devices, yet it picks and chooses which other ones will work with Itunes, thus indirectly making or braking a potentially successful product. Apple did just this with the original Pre, Pixi and Pre Plus...b/c he was mad that Ruby left Apple and took others with him...

Apple controls the system so tightly, that he is in effect asking for legal intervention.

1. Suing Amazon over the Name of the App Store...App has been short of Application before Apple invented the Ipod!

2. After accepting apps written in certain computer language and then demanding that all future apps only be written in a language that couldn't be easily ported to other formats is plain old bulling...after all if Apple doesn't accept your app your out of business.

3. Not allowing Flash and having a temper tantrum at Adobe...my guess this was b/c Flash helps burn thru batteries at a rapid clip....

From what I read The Financial Times is far from the only one company that doesn't want to play by Apple's rules....

HTML5 will help make many complicated apps immaterial....for example...I expect most magazine and Newspapers to do the same thing that FT did if it works out. Periodicals and newspapers are so financially squeezed that they feel they can't afford the 70/30 cut with Apple and they can't afford to create apps for every platform...the music industry also is very upset b/c they don't like the fee structure that Apple DEMANDS.

I recently emailed an online wine store that has an app for iOS and Android....she cannot afford to have one written for or adapted for webOS because the other 2 platforms cost well over $5000 each, she stated in this economy she had enough trouble paying for those 2 apps. (I don't drink wine, but a lot of people do, so I figured it doesn't hurt to ask).

When I pointed out that stores, newspapers, magazines will all be able to make an end run around Apple's app store, she was very pleased to hear it....In many ways, HP/Palm will be the real winner in with HTML5 and "mini apps" to get to these types of sites....webOS is truly designed from top to bottom to work online as opposed to just apps...

The more the Internet switches to HTML5 the better it is for platforms that don't have many apps.

WebOS needs more apps that aren't tied to the Internet, such as Calendar Apps, Kindle or other ebook readers, video apps for TV & movies and so on.....HP should stress over and over again in all of the commercials that webOS makes many apps unnecessary.....However HP has to follow thru on what it promised....to if needed pay for apps to be written, pay for apps to be ported......

The DOJ has a very long history of braking up firms that become overly monopolized, The death of Hollywood's star system, the studios could no longer own theater chains....the old Ma Bell...etc....

Jobs' behavior of late is almost inviting the DOJ to start breathing down their backs....& as I stated before, there are a number of lawsuits from states and the public, b/c Apple doesn't play nice.

Apple already lost one of them, Massachusetts sued on behave of the blind, because the Ipod and Itunes weren't readily usable to the blind, The suit was brought under the states version of the ADA, (American's with Disabilties Act). That is why the latest version of the Ipod Nano has audio feed back for forward, reverse etc...Itunes site was also modified. Apple didn't want to do either and were forced into it....upgrading the itunes store shouldn't have been a big deal b/c all major firms update and modernize their websites all of the time. Adding audio feed back to the Nano could have cost much, since the new version of the Nano with audio feedback cost so little....so why didn't they just do it instead of all refusing to and being forced to do so, (along with any negative publicity that came with the lawsuit)?

Just as Apple already knows that the judge isn't buy their argument about the name "App Store"....while it goes 10 rounds with Amazon....It's not as if they are going to wear Amazon down mentally or momentarily.

For years there have been rumors that Bill Gates has a form of Autism called, high-functioning autism or Asperger's syndrome. I have no idea it's true...although it was originally told to me by my sister who is a Asst Principle for special ed (she has 2 masters in special ed).

Look up the symptoms of Asperger's syndrome. The link below is to webMD, it makes me wonder about Steve Jobs as well....it actually explains a great deal of his actions with regard of which devices can and can't work with iTunes, his refusing to allow the use of Flash etc...

High-Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome

take care,

Jay
    Look up the symptoms of Asperger's syndrome. The link below is to webMD, it makes me wonder about Steve Jobs as well....it actually explains a great deal of his actions with regard of which devices can and can't work with iTunes, his refusing to allow the use of Flash etc...

High-Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome

take care,

Jay
    so if we can't beat them, then we should just resort to name calling?