1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI.

Take care,

Jay

Nintendo says one Wii U controller per console, robs player two of extra screen

Nintendo says one Wii U controller per console, robs player two of extra screen -- Engadget

By Sean Buckley posted Jun 18th 2011 3:02PM
    Nintendo's tablet-esque Wii U controller raised a few questions when it was announced at E3. Questions like, "What kind of crazy games are going to use that thing," and "How much will a second controller cost me?" The latter, at least, has been answered. Nothing. You don't need one. Nintendo's Satoru Iwata recently said in an interview that games enlisting more than one Wii U controller aren't being considered just yet -- although they are possible. Our very own Ittousai tells us that Iwata told Diamond Online that the Wii U can technically support multiple screen-controllers, but that additional slabs would be too expensive to sell on their own. Iwata went on to say that the console would ship with only one, and that game developers should design titles under the assumption that each console will use a single Wii U controller. Player two will have to settle for a good 'ol Wiimote, and even Satoru himself admits that there are plenty of those around.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    BOOOOOO.

I was seriously considering buying a Wii U until I saw this. This will render any sort of local multiplayer nigh-impossible.

WELP.
    Let me show you what cynicism looks like.
    No it won't. You can still use wiimotes, and those definitely allow for local multiplayer, so there is some sort of local multiplayer definitely available.

I'm sure this is one of those things that will be enabled via a later software update, probably when the prices on these fancy new controllers go down far enough for Nintendo to expect people to buy more, or if there is enough demand from consumers otherwise (people going to each other's houses, playing in local tournaments, etc).
    Perhaps. Still, just think of how many arguments will occur in households over who gets the Wii Remote Plus (I believe that's what it's called). And in multiplayer games which would require some level of secrecy, i.e. any card game, or minimap in an FPS, et cetera, all of that possibility is lost. It's just...this should have been made available immediately, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    No it won't. You can still use wiimotes, and those definitely allow for local multiplayer, so there is some sort of local multiplayer definitely available.

I'm sure this is one of those things that will be enabled via a later software update, probably when the prices on these fancy new controllers go down far enough for Nintendo to expect people to buy more, or if there is enough demand from consumers otherwise (people going to each other's houses, playing in local tournaments, etc).
    Let me show you what cynicism looks like.
    I saw this before. This is an idiotic stance by Nintendo. More than the social argument investors made earlier. Only one person can use the hot new controller? LOL! Good luck selling this to families!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    In all honesty, I kind of saw this coming. If you saw any of the demos of Wii-U games that are currently in the works, they all seemed to be built around, what I call "Tag-game" mechanics. In which one person is "it" (i.e. the one with the tablet controller) and the other people are working together against that person. Most of the games seemed to be geared that way.

I also figured that selling those tablets as extra controllers would be REALLY expensive. Think about it, that tablet is practically a dumbed down iPad 1. Basically one of those hundreds of Android tablets that are around $150 or so. Would a family afford a second video game controller for that much? When the Wii-U itself will probably be around $250? MAYBE $300.

All i'm saying is, good decision or bad, I'm completely not surprised.
    But Nintendo is geared toward families from what I've seen. Encouraging fights over the cool remote isn't a good strategy. Now I'm beginning to think maybe Wii U will have problems selling. Unless they figure out how to make the controllers cheaper so at least you can have 2.

Games all geared toward competing with the person with the remote? Another bad strategy IMO. Cooperative or even competitive local play is a better option. But not through competition over the remote.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Hahaha.. cops and robbers.. *TAG* You're it! Wii-uuu Wii-uuu Wii-uuu

sorry awful joke.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Not as awful as the Wii U may be. Let's see, no regular DVD drive even though the other 2 have it. Release a hot new controller but there's only 1 per family and no option to buy another. Speculation that the price will be as high as the other 2. I'm not sure this is a must buy as of now. But they do have time to make changes.

Yeah I pretty much had the same mind set as you, Phone Diva.

I started off thinking this is a great idea and I might pick one up, but then after seeing those demo videos and hearing about no other media disc playing capabilities, this really does question the utility of the Wii U.
    PlayStation 4 and Xbox 720(or whatever they will be called) may slaughter the Wii U. Wii U is a next generation device shown before the other 2 have something ready(except rumors), but it doesn't even have the DVD capabilities of the current gen.

And let's say the investors are correct about online. I was skeptical, but the other 2 do indeed have better online for a lot of things. If you can't at least stream HD or high quality on the Wii U, even if they don't have good online multiplayer, that makes it even more useless to me. I'm one of the few who often avoids online multiplayer, but loves the streaming. PSN also allows media rentals. Wii allows that only in Japan. They do have Netflix but so far only SD.

Wii U just seems limited right now especially since it sounded like they don't want to venture too far from the original.