Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    You really think it's OK to steal from a company just because they make a product that everyone wants, and as a result have become large and successful? You think it's OK to steal something simply because you can't afford it? Really?
    Yeah. I do.

Think what you want, but like I said.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAngelOfElysium
    No regrets.
    Let me show you what cynicism looks like.
  2.    #22  
    World reality:

Most of the countries try to protect against software piracy.

Most of the countries are bombarded with piracy software even from the country where the software is original.

Most of the countries have then two options: To buy an original software license or a cracked one.

Most the countries inhabitants can´t afford to pay an expensive software license.

However most of the softwares companies still having big profits and still alive.

So we can blame: the software company who sells expensive softwares, or the pirat from the country where the software is and sent it to other countries?

The final buyer just goes to the market and buys what is best for their pocket.

We recieve Lee jeans made in the USA $26.99 and in China $12.-(copycat) exactly same quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Are you serious? So, morals are only applicable to you as long as they are convenient for you? I've always known there were people like you, but to come out and admit it... Unreal. I'm flabbergasted.

You really think it's OK to steal from a company just because they make a product that everyone wants, and as a result have become large and successful? You think it's OK to steal something simply because you can't afford it? Really? I sincerely hope that you don't actually speak for "most of us."
    I take it then you're against invading other countries for oil, or is that too much of an analogy for you to handle?
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    World reality:
    World reality: Syndil is not from this world.
    (I think he's from Middle-earth).
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Syndil had better never read robin hood or there might be a book burning crusade...

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I know some people who think its a sin to rip a DVD that they own and use that ripped copy on their different devices..... I.E. phone, video player, console ect ect...

another thing to think about is what if you really need a piece of software but it has become "abandonware" (i.e software (games or apps) that are no longer supported nor made available by companies. There's nowhere to buy them (except used, which many companies frown upon) and the companies won't release them.)

What will you do? You might say well ill find a alternative that i can buy. well what if that alternative is several hundred $$$?

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Not being able to afford a product is no excuse for stealing it. If a product is too expensive and hurts a company because of it, it is up to that company to adjust their pricing to suit them better.

These copyright threads are always neverending, because the conscience of the piraters will not allow them to simply accept that what they are doing is wrong. Whenever they are reminded that they are common thieves, they must rationalize it away, which is exactly what I am seeing here.

Fair use arguments (copying stuff you own for your own use) and ridiculous analogies (invading countries for oil) are obvious weak attempts at rationalization.

There IS NO EXCUSE for stealing. So if you want to steal, just accept that you are low-life criminal scum, and keep your rationalizations to yourself, as they are really for your own benefit anyway.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I know it's a radical concept in a world of entitled brats, but if you can't afford something, DO WITHOUT.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Syndil, since you're human and therefore must not be entirely without fault, I dare call you a hypocrite.
    You can't possibly win every discussion on whatever kind of morality issue, but we don't know you well enough obviously to sabotage that notion and confront you with your own weaknesses. Perhaps your weakness is thinking you have none, and are some kind of über-moralist.
    This is not meant to insult you, but to point out 'everyone's a winner baby'. It just totally depends what battles you choose to pick.
    Oh wait, you just called me low-life criminal scum!

That's not very civil of you, Syndl.
    I did not call you a low-life criminal scum. I made a generalization, and called anyone who wants to commit piracy low-life criminal scum. Apparently you made the assumption that that statement applies to you. One might take that as an admission of guilt.

Also, I can understand why you would want drag me down to your level and call me a hypocrite. It means you have a conscience. Just as you feel the desire to rationalize your criminal acts, you also want to believe that, hey, everyone does it, so that must also mean it's OK. But it is not OK, and not everyone does it. Somewhere in your mind, you know this to be true, even if you refuse to admit it. Your arguments give your thoughts away.

But I don't commit piracy. Every MP3 on my PC, every game, every piece of software, every movie in this house... all properly bought and paid for. Therefore it is impossible to bring me down to your level. I am not a pirate and I am not a thief. I prefer to believe that there are many more people like me--who aren't low-life criminal scum--than there are thieves or pirates. If not... Then karma will sort them out. I'm not an "uber-moralist" (whatever the hell that means), I'm just a normal person that knows the difference between right and wrong, like everyone else.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    But you do agree with US carriers ripping people off, as your posts in other threads show. They have proven to be huge thieves through their questionable billing practices. We are all hypocrites if you ask me. We get moral about one thing but allow other stuff to go on that probably shouldn't.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I think you must be remembering someone else's posts. I've never complained about US carriers ripping anyone off. I have said that, if a person feels a carrier is ripping them off, they should drop them. I have never (nor would I say) that a person should steal from a carrier if they feel they are ripping them off.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Read my posts again. I said you support US carriers ripping people off.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    No, I don't support US carriers ripping people off. Sounds like you are trying to paraphrase something I said elsewhere without understanding what it was that I was saying.

Either way, completely irrelevant to piracy.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    You didn't read again. I said we are all hypocrites. We get moral about one thing and let a lot of other things go.

It's not OK to pirate but it's OK for US carriers to double dip with bogus tethering charges(data is data) and charge for 4G that isn't, right? Theft by "official" means is OK apparently.

Not sure what "getting moral" means. Anyway, no one is twisting anyone's arm forcing them to pay for 4G that isn't really 4G. Therefore it isn't theft. Therefore it isn't immoral.

If you believe your carrier is ripping you off, then you are allowing them to rip you off by continuing to voluntarily pay for their service. My carrier is not ripping me off.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    False advertising is theft. You are not getting what you're paying for.

How much extra are you paying per month for 4G?
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Nothing on AT&T, they have no 4G plans yet. But AT&T is the network that lied about having HSPA+(their fake 4G) and sold phones based on that. But they did not at the time. Only when customers discovered they had slower speeds than iPhone 4 does AT&T say, "we haven't turned it on yet" . But they had already sold the phones advertising "4G". People were not getting promised speeds, and even less speed than iPhone 4 on 3G.

HSPA+ is now on, but things like this leave a very bad taste in my mouth. AT&T at the time outright lied to sell phones. Not only is there no 4G to begin with on AT&T, but you couldn't even get the 3.5G advertised!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast