1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. I have supplied a link to the balance of the story....this doesn't surprise me and Apple can certainly afford it!

This makes me wonder if they would try to push for better working conditions were Apple products are made.

Take care,

Jay

Apple Store Employee Seeks to Plant Union Seed

By REUTERS, June 12, 2011, (Reporting by Poornima Gupta and Alexei Oreskovic, editing by Matthew Lewis and Marguerita Choy)

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - An Apple Inc store employee has started a union in a rare move at a company known for its near-fanatical following and cutting-edge mystique.

Cory Moll, a part-time employee at an Apple store in San Francisco, is working to form a union to fight for better wages and benefits and to address what he says are unfair practices in the company's glass-and-steel retail showrooms.

"The core issues definitely involve compensation, pay, benefits," Moll said, adding that he decided to go public with the union to encourage other employees to come forward.

While unions are strong in industries like trucking and autos, they are largely unheard of in Silicon Valley companies, which pride themselves on being quick-footed and having the flexibility to hire and fire.

Moll's budding campaign is also unusual given Apple's reputation for fierce employee loyalty.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Given the kind of culture Apple has cultivated and the kind of person that is likely to buy a Mac, I'm surprised Apple is not unionized yet.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    A couple of Best Buy employees tried this years ago. It's usually started by part-timers or lazy employees worried about being fired for not doing their jobs (seen if first hand). The rest of the employees will see it for what it is and vote it down. Not gonna happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Given the kind of culture Apple has cultivated and the kind of person that is likely to buy a Mac, I'm surprised Apple is not unionized yet.

I may have misunderstood your post though. So I'll wait for further explanation.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/12/2011 at 05:02 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    A couple of Best Buy employees tried this years ago. It's usually started by part-timers or lazy employees worried about being fired for not doing their jobs (seen if first hand). The rest of the employees will see it for what it is and vote it down. Not gonna happen.
    Unions were originally started to stop employers from unfair and unsafe employee practices.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yes.. thanks for the lesson. I realize that... just throwing in an observation from going through it first hand with a major US retailer many years ago. We worked for a company (like Apple) that took very good care of their employees. But there were a couple of very bad ones, who knew they wouldn't be around long unless A) they performed better, or B) pushed for a union to protect their jobs. They had no support from the rest of the employees who had no issues at all with the company, and ended up being gone the next year because of poor performance. We all saw the true motivation for that particular push for a union. They have their place, but I see this one just like that other company. I could be wrong, but that's just my observation.
    The link didn't post but in the snippet, I saw nothing that implies that.

P.S. The link that didn't post:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...75B1FL20110612

A union for store employees! Ye!
    I'm sure that's historically correct as back in Middle Ages there must have been a guild for CRAFTSMEN of this particular trade.
  9.    #9  
    Hi all,

I am so sorry I realize now that I didn't post the link. Here it is:

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2011/...gewanted=print

Off with my head! So sorry!

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  10.    #10  
    Hi all,

I wonder if they unionize there, if they will start pressuring Apple over what goes on at the factories that actually have contracts with Apple and make the products?

Take care,

Jay
    If they unionize, can they really make changes to Foxconn all the way back in China? I doubt it.

What I find most comical is that it's a part-timer trying to organize it. Now, I don't know how things are in San Francisco, but where I'm from you have to be full time, and full time for a certain amount of time, to qualify for raises and other benefits.