1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. Please use the supplied link to read the balance of this article. Perhaps one has to try it to love it!

Take care,

Jay

Nintendo President Puzzled by Investor Reaction to Wii U

By REUTERS, June 9, 2011, (Reporting by Liana Baker and Isabel Reynolds; Editing by Lincoln Feast)

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2011/...gewanted=print

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said he was surprised at the tumble in the company's share price following the unveiling of a successor to its smash hit Wii games console, adding that the new gadget had to be played to be understood.

Shares in Nintendo fell almost 10 percent in the two days following the company's splashy presentation of the Wii U, which features a tablet-style controller and high-definition graphics, and goes on sale next year.

"Honestly speaking, the reaction to (Tuesday's) presentation and what I heard from people I met and the mood of the convention did not chime at all with what happened in the stock market," Iwata said in an interview at the E3 games show in Los Angeles on Wednesday. "It's very strange."
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I know it's too early to tell, but I don't think the Wii U will do well long term. It may start out strong, since they will be the first to launch a next gen console, but once Sony & Microsoft reveal their next consoles, I don't think the Wii U will be able to compete.

After reading the following article, I think the Wii U may end up like the Dreamcast.

Is Wii U the new Sega Dreamcast? | ZDNet

Only time will tell.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Saying it's like the Dreamcast is like saying it's ahead of it's time and their audience may not be ready for it. So yeah, you may be right.
    I don't know why they won't allow DVD usage. I read that and was pretty surprised considering the other 2 allow this. That's not ahead of it's time, unless it really does something else innovative. The controller looks promising, but it will depend on how Wii U is priced IMO. If it lacks what the other 2 have but asks the same amount of money, then we have problem.

However I don't understand investor reaction either. It focused too much on the social part of gaming.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'll be the first to admit that the wii U presentation was pretty neat, but I certainly don't think it will provide the kind of growth the wii did. That's why investors weren't moved.

Personally, I think people are tired of collecting peripherals.

As far as social gaming is concerned, I'm sure investors are frustrated with Nintendo's inability to capitalize on such a lucrative part of the industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by elslunko View Post
    Saying it's like the Dreamcast is like saying it's ahead of it's time and their audience may not be ready for it. So yeah, you may be right.
    Dreamcast was ahead of it's time in that it had a modem built in to take advantage of online gaming, but it didn't really capitalize on it. Xbox was pretty much the first console to really get online gaming right with it's Xbox live service.

Though with my comment, I wasn't comparing Wii U & Dreamcast in that way. Dreamcast smoked PS one & N64; however it couldn't compete against PS2 or Gamecube, and pretty muched opened the door for Microsoft to step in with Xbox.

Like the Dreamcast, when the Wii U is released, it will have it's advantages against current gen consoles (PS3 & Xbox 360), and will have success based on that (being the "new hotness"). But once next gen consoles are released, Wii U just won't measure up. The awesome tablet controller, and cool features is not going to sustain it. It will evetually wear off, similar to how the wii is dying off now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

...However I don't understand investor reaction either. It focused too much on the social part of gaming.
    Online gaming is where it's at, and where the focus should be at. Major reasons for Xbox 360 & PS3's success is due to their online networks, and this is why investors are upset. Nintendo didn't even touch on it at E3. If Nintendo doesn't get it right this time they will learn the hard way.

Hopefully the Wii U doesn't flop like Dreamcast, but if it does it will open the door for someone else to step in. And if I had to take a guess at someone who could do that, I'd say Apple (I know it may sound crazy, but so did Microsoft when it announced the original Xbox). iOS' is already competing in gaming. I realized that after watching the Game Center segment from Apple's recent WWDC keynote.

Apple's game center launched 9 months ago, has over 100,000 titiles and 50 million users (In comparison, Xbox live has been around 8 years, and has about 30 million users). That is a big deal, and show's the demand & market for online/social gaming. Nintendo is foolish to ignore this aspect of the gaming market, and Investors are right to be upset with them. If the Wii U flops, Apple can step up & be a major player in gaming. They don't even have to release a full fledged system (although they very well can if they wanted to). They could just add a controller to Apple TV w/ game center, and have a base of 50 million users (or whatever number it grows to).

I know my assumptions in these last 2 paragraphs may seem wild, but I see it as a possible scenario. Nintendo needs to refocus it's efforts on the social & online aspects of gaming.
    they are probably skeptical cause like everyone else they think the controller looks huge, and expensive, and there were few people that could actually test the console this week.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Online gaming is turning out to be only good for the publishers. Hard core gamers are tired of paying for a game only to have the campaign cut short for online multiplayer. Or find that what should have been in the game is now DLC. Not only that but many DLC prices are out of hand. Couple that with now paid online codes to play online, so used buyers or renters have to pay extra. Young gamers put up with this but older gamers know this is nickel and diming. Nintendo likely knows this too since they were old school too at one time.

Should Nintendo concentrate on online multiplayer? Perhaps but I hope they cut out all the nickel and diming.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9.    #9  
    Online gaming is turning out to be only good for the publishers.
    Hi,

It's also working out well for the hackers, (that's if they don't get caught)!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Parents (like me) with younger kids are happier with closed (not online) games.
    I think that revelation that the game footage presentation was using Xbox and Playstation game footage didn't help matters...

Which ever PRPRPR $guy$ $did$ $that$ $is$ $in$ $trouble$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Parents (like me) with younger kids are happier with closed (not online) games.
    Right but the videogame market is now much bigger than small kids. With that in mind, someone can buy a PS3 or and Xbox360 and still find plenty of content for their kids to play w/o getting online. What it boils down to Nintendo attracts kids and the wii did well w/ non-gamers, but the software attatch ratio is horrible and without appealing to the age groups in the middle, it'll will stay that way.
    Yeah, I agree that off-line gaming is probably more appropriate for children.

As for online gaming, I do hate paying for extra content; but I feel online services have made the gaming experience so much better. I have friends all over the place, and it's a lot easier for us all to get together online for a gaming session than to meet up together at someone's house. For some it's not even possible, since they live out of state.

I'm into First Person Shooters, Fighting and Racing Games, and Online multiplayer has extended the shelf life of all games in this catergory. Prior to Xbox live, whenever I played these, once the campaign was done, I had no reason to keep the game. If I wanted to get an extra challenge, I'd set it on the highest difficulty & beat it for bragging rights.

On Xbox live, I have a reason to keep playing these games. In fighting games I can get online at anytime and someone will be online for me to fight. Same thing goes for racing games. WIth First Person Shooters (As you can tell from my Avatar, I'm a big Halo fan) I pretty much only buy them for the Multiplayer. I've had Halo Reach since it launched, and I haven't even finished the Campaign, all my time is spent in online match making. For the few times I do play the campaign, I'm end up playing with one of my friends online.

I know not everyone's into online gaming, but it really does enhance the gaming experience. That plus all the other bonuses like Netflix, ESPN, Zune, Facebook, Messaging, etc that come with Xbox live make it worth having in my opinion.
    Wii didn't have good adult games IMO, except for Dead Space Extraction, Black Ops and a few others. I hope the PS3 and Xbox 360 showings were to imply that they will finally get some major games for the Wii U.

<<thread moved>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Yeah, I agree that off-line gaming is probably more appropriate for children.

As for online gaming, I do hate paying for extra content; but I feel online services have made the gaming experience so much better. I have friends all over the place, and it's a lot easier for us all to get together online for a gaming session than to meet up together at someone's house. For some it's not even possible, since they live out of state.

I'm into First Person Shooters, Fighting and Racing Games, and Online multiplayer has extended the shelf life of all games in this catergory. Prior to Xbox live, whenever I played these, once the campaign was done, I had no reason to keep the game. If I wanted to get an extra challenge, I'd set it on the highest difficulty & beat it for bragging rights.

On Xbox live, I have a reason to keep playing these games. In fighting games I can get online at anytime and someone will be online for me to fight. Same thing goes for racing games. WIth First Person Shooters (As you can tell from my Avatar, I'm a big Halo fan) I pretty much only buy them for the Multiplayer. I've had Halo Reach since it launched, and I haven't even finished the Campaign, all my time is spent in online match making. For the few times I do play the campaign, I'm end up playing with one of my friends online.

I know not everyone's into online gaming, but it really does enhance the gaming experience. That plus all the other bonuses like Netflix, ESPN, Zune, Facebook, Messaging, etc that come with Xbox live make it worth having in my opinion.
    I agree. I just think that publishers have become too greedy milking console online for all it's worth. I've already mentioned how some games cut the campaign short for online. DLC priced almost as a new game when you add up things, and you have to own the old one. Online player codes really get under my skin. And now Activision wants to start online game subscriptions for stuff that used to be free if you were a modder or used mods.

Xbox does offer better deals sometimes for DLC.

Wii didn't have good adult games IMO, except for Dead Space Extraction, Black Ops and a few others. I hope the PS3 and Xbox 360 showings were to imply that they will finally get some major games for the Wii U.

I don't think the Wii had good adult games either. The Wii seems to be geared towards kids & casual gamers. Maybe the Wii U will try to target more adults since they did use PS3 & Xbox games for their demo.
    I agree. I just think that publishers have become too greedy milking console online for all it's worth. I've already mentioned how some games cut the campaign short for online. DLC priced almost as a new game when you add up things, and you have to own the old one. Online player codes really get under my skin. And now Activision wants to start online game subscriptions for stuff that used to be free if you were a modder or used mods.

Xbox does offer better deals sometimes for DLC.
    Yeah Publishers have become greedy. Usually if you buy all the extra maps released for first person shooters, it eventually adds up to the cost of a new game. Sometimes I wait for them to go on sale, or just skip some of them. The new Activision subscription model is crazy, but with all the people hooked on the COD series, I have a feeling that it will do well when they launch it with MW3.
    The problem is Activision may be messing up the franchise. Yearly COD releases means something's being rehashed or it's actually mediocre. Despite the great reviews by pro gamer sites, many did not like the last 2 releases(MW2, Black Ops) or had gripes about them. They churn games out yearly to make money and the faithful buy up all the games and DLC, but are the games actually quality? People griped about some maps being rehashed.

Though I must say perhaps MW2 did deserve it's ratings, it was just their contempt for some gamers that ****ed people off. And why did it take them 2 years to finally lower the price, even after a new game was released? Most games are reduced in a year.

Activision's greed may eventually mess up the franchise, but for some reason I can't see it happening soon. Despite people's gripes, MW2 & Black Ops are 2 of the top selling games of all time, & has even out produced pretty much every block buster movie in terms of revenues generated (probably why they didn't lower the price for 2 years). Also if you check the weekly stats (Major Nelson usually publishes them every week on his blog), MW2 has been in the top 3 Xbox live titles played since it's release, Black Ops as well. Currently (and pretty every week of this year so far) Black Ops has remained #1 , MW2 at #2, and Halo Reach at #3.

The stats boogle my mind, but the COD fan base is ridiculous. IMO churning out a game every year is too much (If there was no online multiplayer & DLC, it would be fine). I didn't even pick up Black Ops, because I wasn't bored with MW2, I only Prestiged once or twice in Multiplayer, I recently bought the new maps when Black Ops was released, & didn't feel the need to get Black Ops (though almost all my friends did). Then I got Halo Reach, and just decided to skip Black Ops.

Based on the Previews, MW3 looks impressive; and I have a feeling it will probably top Black Ops & MW2. I plan to pick up MW3 when it launches, but I definitely don't plan on joining that subscription service.