Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Are our accounts as secure as they should be, read below and see.

take care,

Jay

Cheap GPUs are rendering strong passwords useless
    By Adrian Kingsley-Hughes | June 1, 2011, 4:35am PDT

Cheap GPUs are rendering strong passwords useless | ZDNet

Think that your eight-character password consisting of lowercase characters, uppercase characters and a sprinkling of numbers is strong enough to protect you from a brute force attack?

Think again!

Jon Honeyball writing for PC Pro has a sobering piece on how the modern GPU can be leveraged as a powerful tool against passwords once considered safe from bruteforce attack.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Very worrying if your laptop gets stolen. Thanks for the post.

How a cheap graphics card could crack your password in under a second | PC Pro blog

So this could mean we now have to buy higher end graphics cards and pay more. Some people don't exactly need the higher end cards though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

How a cheap graphics card could crack your password in under a second | PC Pro blog

So this could mean we now have to buy higher end graphics cards and pay more. Some people don't exactly need the higher end cards though.
    Hi Scary stuff isn't it???

A few years ago, I read an interesting column that said, "take 2 to 3 quotes from the movies turn the quotes into initials, using the first letter of each word for each letter in the password. If you combine the letters from 2 or even more quotes into a password, it would be very hard to guess the password and easy for you to remember the password.

Therefore I have been doing that ever since....well now that whole idea may now be out the window....

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts

I don't think the problem is cheap graphics cards. The point is that this kind of stuff can be done quickly with even a cheap graphics card.
    Sounds to me like the problem is cheap cards make it a lot easier and faster.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Passwords are only one part of the security blueprint. In order for passwords to come into play, a hacker must have already gained access to the login prompt, which means either remote access or physical access. If they've gotten that far, passwords are the least of your worries.

Passwords are like fences. They keep honest people honest, but they won't keep a determined criminal out.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Passwords are only one part of the security blueprint. In order for passwords to come into play, a hacker must have already gained access to the login prompt, which means either remote access or physical access. If they've gotten that far, passwords are the least of your worries.

Passwords are like fences. They keep honest people honest, but they won't keep a determined criminal out.
    Since most people have their browser automatically store passwords and/or, worse, automatically log in, none of this is even necessary if you have physical access.
    That's why you keep the bad guys out of your building, or at least don't let them go snooping around your employee's unattended computers. :P
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    That is why I paid extra and run bitlocker with tpm on my laptops... my desktops use bitlocker, with less secure thumbdrive that I need to open with (but I keep the thumbdrive hidden). I leave my desktop on, so my hope would be they would reboot to run their program... lol

If someone will has physical access to your machines, it is mostly all over anyway.

I did not learn anything new in these articles... guess we have to hear this stuff every now and again, then forget, then hear it again later and be scared... then forget.... lol

I'm more scared of trojans... crappy anti-virus software is about worthless.... all of them.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Kaspersky consistently gets high marks.

Kaspersky consistently gets high marks.
    That is because they release the most spyware/malware/trojans so they know how to stop it.

High marks means nothing these days.

Let me figure this out... so they get high marks because they find something after it is already there. Heck, impress me... stop it from being installed. lol

My point being that your best desktop security rests between these words (your monitor) and the back of your chair (if you are not sitting in a chair, pretend you are). Anti-virus does help.... but a combination of using virutual machines and smart browsing helps... saying "no" to everything. Giving kids their own machines, blocking flash/adverts, etc... basic security goes a long way.

I'm still surprised at how many people will get a virus, clean it, and decide that was enough. Get a virus, clean the computer by formating it.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Their internet security program supposedly does stop stuff from running. I haven't used it though. But testers have said it's very effective.

Okay... get it and let me know how it works out. Go to a couple of known sites and see what happens. Oh, yea, it gets high marks, but not 100% marks. LOL

But it does nothing against a payload that was authorized by the user... social engineering of adults and kids (kids are a HUGE target of these scammers). Attacking programs already installed on systems is also huge...

An antivirus is a tool that one must have, don't get me wrong. IMO it is less important than an educated user (well, maybe not less, but in security you have layers... and the educated user layer is the first line of defense IMO). An educated user goes a long way in the securing of a system. Well, staying out of places that need an anti-virus... which is hard since issues can come from crazy places, like google pictures (when you search for images on a topic -- like Justin Bieber lol).
    Kapersky, AVG, NOD, etc. have all been made obsolete by Microsoft Security Essentials. It's a full-fledged Internet security suite that is 100% free, and it can hold its own compared to similar software requiring a paid subscription, i.e. Norton Internet Security. The other free programs cover antivirus only.

Anti-Malware, Virus, Spyware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    MSE did not stop a drive by download on a safe site, believe it or not. Though the firewall stopped Gracenote in Winamp from working but allows iTunes to work fully.

I agree that no security system is perfect. As for safe surfing, how about viruses and malware coming out of vulnerabilities of legal sites? You have no control over who the site accepts advertising from in those revolving ads. Even with script and ad blocking turned on, something could still happen. You also need to keep the browser patched.

MSE did not stop a drive by download on a safe site, believe it or not. Though the firewall stopped Gracenote in Winamp from working but allows iTunes to work fully.

I agree that no security system is perfect.
    No solution will catch 100% of everything, but having full-featured Internet security suite like MSE is better than having any of the other free solutions. However MSE does not include a firewall. It will ask you to turn on Windows Firewall during installation, but does not include a firewall of its own.

As for safe surfing, how about viruses and malware coming out of vulnerabilities of legal sites? You have no control over who the site accepts advertising from in those revolving ads. Even with script and ad blocking turned on, something could still happen. You also need to keep the browser patched.
    Sounds like you need a different browser. I have been using Opera since... well, for over a decade, and as far as I can tell it is vulnerability-proof. I have never gotten anything nasty via browsing. Granted, I do use Opera's built-in ad-blocker to block ads that are especially annoying, so that may have taken care of some of it, but as a general rule I do not block ads. Ads are what keeps the Internet free.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I use the Windows firewall in conjunction with MSE. It's certainly less intrusive than Zone Alarm(also Outpost) which shuts off almost everything until you enable it, so I was surprised about Gracenote. ZA's method is safer, just sometimes the programs you need to enable are really technical and you don't always know what to enable and what to keep shut off, unless you really know computers. A user friendly firewall should do much of this for you. I won't gripe too much though, Windows firewall seems ok for the most part.

Firefox(main) and IE for some sites are my browsers, and sometimes Chrome. I think Firefox still needs some ironing out though, however it's ad block add-ons are way better than IE's.

I'd wager that IE is the cause of most brower-based infections, due to its support of ActiveX controls and VBscript. Firefox and Opera support neither of those (this is a good thing).

Opera's ad-blocker is built-in and maintained by Opera.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    However I was using Firefox on the site, with ad and script blocking on. lol.

Which page was it? Would love to see if Opera will withstand an attack from a site that has actually been confirmed to cause infections.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast