1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Here is the philosophical question for today: Is Internet Access a Human Right?

Take care,

Jay

Is Internet Access a Human Right?
    By William Fenton, ARTICLE DATE: 06.06.11

Is Internet Access a Human Right?

In the face of government crackdowns on the free flow of information, Frank La Rue, the UN Special Rapporteur on freedom of expression, has released a report stressing that Internet access ought to be an essential right for all citizens.

La Rue's report connects Internet access with freedom of expression, a right guaranteed in article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. The Rapporteur urges governments to open up Web access by developing action plans that make the Internet more available, accessible, and affordable.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    As long as there are kids dying of AIDS because their mother didn't get the 5$ worth of medicine, this discussion is an abomination.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    The internet is a commodity. Nobody has a right to a specific commodity. We need to separate this insidious conflation of "what people should have" with "what people have the right to have".
    Oh, and here is the philosophical question for today: Is copyright a Human Right?
    When we catch the rest of the world up on hunger, disease, and water problems, then maybe this can be a talking point.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    As long as there are kids dying of AIDS because their mother didn't get the 5$ worth of medicine, this discussion is an abomination.
    Hi,

I agree with you....I have lost over 4 dozen friends and business associates in the last 30 years to AIDS...trust me it is a topic that is never far from my thinking....but I will play devils advocate for a moment.

I also should remind you that at least the Internet is a place that an AIDS or HIV patient can get info...I'm not sure that it is Gabon, as my memory isn't what is used to be...The head of the country doesn't believe there is such a thing as HIV or AIDS. He feel that it is all made up propaganda by the drug companies....

It also would be a source of info, since sex outside of Marriage in Africa is cultural, as the opposite is supposed to be cultural in the West. Frankly what other people do in their private lives, isn't my business. However, if the is a cultural bias toward unprotected multiple partner sex, at least the Internet is a place to get info from outside your own country or government, (especially since at least one head of a country in Africa doesn't believe Aids/HIV exists).

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Rights are based on societal morals. There is nothing inherently moral about the internet. How we use the internet though can have moral implications.