Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Windows 8 shown at D9 | This is my next...

Now that, my friends, is multitasking in its truest form; having the ability to stack applications side-by-side and working in a true windowed (no pun intended) environment.

<staff edit>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/02/2011 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Trolling comment deleted.
    looked at the video demo in your link and it looked, well...boring, almost tired to me. Maybe I'm just done with Windows. Walked into a Verizon store today and asked about the Pre3 and the salesperson tried to sell me a windows phone. Blech.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    looked at the video demo in your link and it looked, well...boring, almost tired to me. Maybe I'm just done with Windows. Walked into a Verizon store today and asked about the Pre3 and the salesperson tried to sell me a windows phone. Blech.
    Boring? How is it any more boring than "cards"? It appears to be chock-full of gestures, which HP seemingly has done away with (for the most part) in the TouchPad.

This is still a year or so out, so what were seeing is probably a very early alpha build.
    I liked it a lot. It's certainly something different. I would love to see webOS incorporate that snap feature, it looks like it would be very useful.
    i was very impressed. it had a very webOS feel and it appears that they've borrowed the gesture area and improved upon it. I was one of the people who was unmoved by HPs decision to remove it from the tablet, but now i'm seeing what it could have been.

Another thing i noticed is that the implementation of the snap feature is very reminiscent of something I've seen on these very forums. Its ashame palm couldn't implement it first.

This demo makes me think MS has plenty of potential in the tablet market, especially if they can bring the full power of windows to the form factor. it would blow mobile OSs out of the water.
    The snap looked awesome, but I think there's a schism between "classic" Windows and those Windows 8 apps. The Task Bar at the bottom came out of nowhere, but then you switch back to the side swiping for the new stuff.

Still if Microsoft sticks the landing, I could see tablets becoming a two-horse race.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    this looked very good, and i feel in certain ways better than webos. just wondering how ms will screw it up =X
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    I really like the demo, it was very fluid unlike webOS that can be laggy, I cant say how much more important it is for H/P to license webOS in this wake, otherwise webOS may just die
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Looks amazing! Can't wait to see HTML5 on everything!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Guys... the fluidity was being demonstrated on a PC - not a tablet. Yeah, it does look nice and has some cool UI ideas. But how about we leave the actual comparisons for when they put it on tablets in a year or so. Until then, it's a PC OS that is still a year out.
    Interesting. Not sure how business friendly it is, but definitely consumer friendly.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    It's not clear how you organize your windows in order to do the snap. The keyboard is the same old boring keyboard by default. The split is nice but it still has the same problem of missing a dedicated number row as well as being a one size fits all size. Even more so than with previous Windows themes users aren't going to like the default style. Not everyone is into the industrial design and it's not clear how themeable or customizable this new format is (if at all). My concern would be that it's so different from what people use today that people may shy away for something that feels more familiar and it will take a lot longer to drive people from Vista and Win7 to Win8. Seems like a little bit of an uphill battle where they stand to lose market share to Apple, Google, Linux and others if they're not careful.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    It's not clear how you organize your windows in order to do the snap. The keyboard is the same old boring keyboard by default. The split is nice but it still has the same problem of missing a dedicated number row as well as being a one size fits all size. Even more so than with previous Windows themes users aren't going to like the default style. Not everyone is into the industrial design and it's not clear how themeable or customizable this new format is (if at all). My concern would be that it's so different from what people use today that people may shy away for something that feels more familiar and it will take a lot longer to drive people from Vista and Win7 to Win8. Seems like a little bit of an uphill battle where they stand to lose market share to Apple, Google, Linux and others if they're not careful.
    The difference though is that windows can run the real apps. Not pretend apps like quickoffice or iwork. You'll also be able to do all the multitouch along with simple apps that is driving present tablet sales. A desktop level OS on a tablet. Like someone else said, it's a two horse race again.
    funny how people bash another company when its not there own, I cant blame you though because we are all loyal Palm users. To be honest Windows has got it period. This new interface for PC's and tablets will change the game. Very well done in multi tasking, implimenting WP7, and taking it to another level. I have a WP7 device too, and hands down it is second to Webos only. With How they intend on using Windows 8 I like it alot. It shows microsoft thinking out of the box, like Palm did when they made windows 8. Why use icons when you can use tiles, and Im from the west coast so i can relate to metro awhole lot. Bottom line is Microsoft with Nokia are back in the game big time, and HP needs to make sure they bring the heat, because Android and Apple wont have anything that will wow people like what Microsoft just showed.
    Sweet video! MS is unifying the entire experience across their product line so that consumers will get a consistent, user friendly and absolutely gorgeously rendered UI whether on a PC, Tablet, Xbox, or Phone.

I never would have thought MS could pull it off but after using a Windows Phone 7 for the last 2 months, it looks like they have and will continue to remake themselves as relevant once again.
    Last edited by foosball; 06/01/2011 at 09:58 PM.
    windows 8 is going to be a force to reckon, next year they wouold merge their PC, Tablet and phone software. Hope by that time H/P has also not only merged but become successful
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I have a WP7 device too, and hands down it is second to Webos only.
    Granted we are on a Palm forum and I'm a huge Palm fan but I ain't going to mince words here: webOS isn't even in the same class as WP7. It's a distant second which is still better than iOS or Android but it's not even close.
    makes me wonder what exactly webos will do on hp pc's when windows 8 is on them too.

obviously it doesn't make sense to have webos and windows 8 on the same pc, other than to synchronize data btwn devices...

hp's vision of webos on pcs just got a lot murkier in my eyes. I just don't get it.

it was so much easier when smartphones were just smartphones...
    Windows 8 will change everything. Perhaps tablet windows 8 can finally replace laptop. I can't wait. I guess I can stick with my iPad til I will get my next tablet with windows 8 on it. I can do TRUE multitasking and can run existing pc program. Simply amazing!

Sent from Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmil1212 View Post
    The difference though is that windows can run the real apps. Not pretend apps like quickoffice or iwork. You'll also be able to do all the multitouch along with simple apps that is driving present tablet sales. A desktop level OS on a tablet. Like someone else said, it's a two horse race again.
    I'm not sure I follow you on the "pretend apps" line. Microsoft is moving Office to the web to compete with Google docs, which is already mobile accessible. And you're missing the whole point of why we have Google Docs, QuickOffice, and iWork. BECAUSE THE AVERAGE USER DOESN'T USE 90% OF WHAT THE "REAL" OFFICE APP OFFERS. Why would you need the "real" app when everything that you need to do can be done just as easily anywhere else and for free?

It's also idiotic to label something as a "real" app versus a somehow "pretend" app. Do they both run? Do they do what the user needs them to do at the time the user needs it done? Well then they are both applications. It's not a fake, it's not pretend. It does real things for real people.

And who wants a freaking two horse race. That's about the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Try to foster competition and innovation in that kind of race. More likely the two horses will turn to each other and say let's split the prize. It also increases the likelihood that should one horse falter, you have one "winner" and we're right back to the good old days of Microsoft anti-competitive practices and regular anti-trust lawsuits. Nice. Are you some ***** Microsoft shill that thinks that if somehow Microsoft wins they're going to be nice and give away Windows to the masses or have you forgotten that they sell these operating systems for hundreds of dollars just for the upgrades. Have you forgotten all the anti-competitive OEM contracts they devised. Have you not seen that they make more money right now for every HTC Android phone that gets sold vs. the money they make for their own phones. Competition keeps Microsoft on it's toes. I dare say it keeps Microsoft honest.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast