Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Windows 8 will change everything.
    Didn't people say the same thing about WindowsXP, ME, Windows XP for Tablets, Vista, 7. I feel like people just don't get it. Stop thinking of software as something you run and you have to have X operating system to run Y software. Start thinking of software as a mechanism for content delivery or as a window into OTHER software.

    It's asinine to me that in the 21st century we're still finding ways to tie ourselves down to this OS and that hardware. The thing I like most about webOS is really it's promise; build applications in a way that they are easily portable across multiple platforms, hardware and OSes. That should be our goal. Open standards and ultimate portability. The goal that Java only partially realized. It shouldn't be, assuming that Android/Win8/OSX/webOS/Ubuntu/Chrome will be the one OS to rule them all.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    Didn't people say the same thing about WindowsXP, ME, Windows XP for Tablets, Vista, 7. I feel like people just don't get it. Stop thinking of software as something you run and you have to have X operating system to run Y software. Start thinking of software as a mechanism for content delivery or as a window into OTHER software.

    It's asinine to me that in the 21st century we're still finding ways to tie ourselves down to this OS and that hardware. The thing I like most about webOS is really it's promise; build applications in a way that they are easily portable across multiple platforms, hardware and OSes. That should be our goal. Open standards and ultimate portability. The goal that Java only partially realized. It shouldn't be, assuming that Android/Win8/OSX/webOS/Ubuntu/Chrome will be the one OS to rule them all.
    but if you really look at it, it really will change the game. Examples? 1. Its a major os not a mobile one thus much more full featured apps. My only hope here is prices go down on software. 2. The hardware that can come of this.. Man I can imagine a tablet which you can dock on a keyboard with a hardrive and cd rom drive and make it into a laptop or a stand and make it into a PC. Or maybe dock your phone to a laptop or PC I mean, the concepts that the atrix showed can become huge due to the os being windows. And as far as quick office goes... Its never going to be meant to replace office, not even for simplicity. Nor does the web app. Most students and businesses rely on features like margins, line spacing, chart inserting, and detailed attractive PowerPoint that quick office or mobile apps can't touch. Even for simple usage, the image tools are big for flyers ect. Office on a tablet makes a tablet an extreme tool. Being able to sync and use paraphernalia is another huge advantage. The game changing Microsoft talked about with other versions doesn't even compare to what this means. I gaurentee we also see many cool features of windows phone 7.5 integrated as well. I'm truly sad to say, but it'll take me getting a really cheap or free touchpad, to actually get one. Id rather wait and see what windows is coming with and buy that because it'll surely satisfy my needs. Windows combined with windows phone 7! I'll miss webos but I've seen nothing compelling that shows advancement yet other then notifications and cards.
  3. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    but if you really look at it, it really will change the game. Examples? 1. Its a major os not a mobile one thus much more full featured apps. My only hope here is prices go down on software. 2. The hardware that can come of this.. Man I can imagine a tablet which you can dock on a keyboard with a hardrive and cd rom drive and make it into a laptop or a stand and make it into a PC. Or maybe dock your phone to a laptop or PC I mean, the concepts that the atrix showed can become huge due to the os being windows. And as far as quick office goes... Its never going to be meant to replace office, not even for simplicity. Nor does the web app. Most students and businesses rely on features like margins, line spacing, chart inserting, and detailed attractive PowerPoint that quick office or mobile apps can't touch. Even for simple usage, the image tools are big for flyers ect. Office on a tablet makes a tablet an extreme tool. Being able to sync and use paraphernalia is another huge advantage. The game changing Microsoft talked about with other versions doesn't even compare to what this means. I gaurentee we also see many cool features of windows phone 7.5 integrated as well. I'm truly sad to say, but it'll take me getting a really cheap or free touchpad, to actually get one. Id rather wait and see what windows is coming with and buy that because it'll surely satisfy my needs. Windows combined with windows phone 7! I'll miss webos but I've seen nothing compelling that shows advancement yet other then notifications and cards.
    ROFLMAO. Linespacing? Margins? Inserting a chart. Don't make me laugh. Most of the users I've encountered don't even know they can use "Help" to figure out how to do those things. The last 2 conferences I went to every speaker used a web based presentation tool (i.e. not PowerPoint). One of those presentations was done by a MS manager begging us to help them kill IE6 use. PowerPoint is probably one of the most hated tools on the planet because of the horrible presentations that people pump out of it. Nothing good ever comes of PowerPoint. And from reading a lot of the business requirements I read I can say with certainty that not much good comes out of Word or Excel either.

    Microsoft is moving Office to the web. The whole interface that they just demoed is web/mobile based. You can't say "these apps don't cut it because they're mobile" and then in the same breath applaud MS because they're making the OS more mobile friendly.

    People use what's preinstalled or readily available. If the template matches what they need then they use it. They use Office because it's what they're told to use and they don't know there are alternatives. Most users don't know how to adjust the margins or the linespacing. Regardless they can do that in the web based tools just as easily if not more so than in the "real" app (see Google Docs).

    There is nothing that 90% of desktop users do with PowerPoint, Word, or Excel that cannot be done in the mobile/web equivalent. That leaves 10% of users who are actually using the full features of the desktop app, 8% of which are probably only doing it because it looks cool or because they can, leaving 2% actually exposing functionality that's needed and warranted.

    It's just fanboism to think that MS is somehow magical and everything else is crap. That MS is somehow going to change the world with what amounts to a new version of Active Desktop, Sidebar Widgets and a bright coat of paint. This kind of thinking is no better than thinking that webOS or iOS or OSX or Android is going to unify everything. It's a nice thought but these companies will always fall short. Since most of the time they're just rehashing ideas that happened 20 years ago and calling it "new" and "innovative".
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    ROFLMAO. Linespacing? Margins? Inserting a chart. Don't make me laugh. Most of the users I've encountered don't even know they can use "Help" to figure out how to do those things. The last 2 conferences I went to every speaker used a web based presentation tool (i.e. not PowerPoint). One of those presentations was done by a MS manager begging us to help them kill IE6 use. PowerPoint is probably one of the most hated tools on the planet because of the horrible presentations that people pump out of it. Nothing good ever comes of PowerPoint. And from reading a lot of the business requirements I read I can say with certainty that not much good comes out of Word or Excel either.

    Microsoft is moving Office to the web. The whole interface that they just demoed is web/mobile based. You can't say "these apps don't cut it because they're mobile" and then in the same breath applaud MS because they're making the OS more mobile friendly.

    People use what's preinstalled or readily available. If the template matches what they need then they use it. They use Office because it's what they're told to use and they don't know there are alternatives. Most users don't know how to adjust the margins or the linespacing. Regardless they can do that in the web based tools just as easily if not more so than in the "real" app (see Google Docs).

    There is nothing that 90% of desktop users do with PowerPoint, Word, or Excel that cannot be done in the mobile/web equivalent. That leaves 10% of users who are actually using the full features of the desktop app, 8% of which are probably only doing it because it looks cool or because they can, leaving 2% actually exposing functionality that's needed and warranted.

    It's just fanboism to think that MS is somehow magical and everything else is crap. That MS is somehow going to change the world with what amounts to a new version of Active Desktop, Sidebar Widgets and a bright coat of paint. This kind of thinking is no better than thinking that webOS or iOS or OSX or Android is going to unify everything. It's a nice thought but these companies will always fall short. Since most of the time they're just rehashing ideas that happened 20 years ago and calling it "new" and "innovative".
    you must not know many students then. I've been told to use margins double spacing and header and footers since like 8th grade and im in college now. Most people I know use word proficiently. Many school projects require detailed use of graphics and such on word. I'm not inferring your wrong because I know alot of computer illiterate people, but maybe you are surrounded by too many? Even if 10 percent do know how to use it. I'd say more then 50 percent need more then the features on the web version. Atleast in my experience.
  5. #25  
    PS: actually until recently I didn't even like windows or Microsoft much. But they actually are impressing me. When and if the web version can add atleast some more features it'll become more useful. Maybe Microsoft should poll different groups for what's most important so that they include it in their mobile suite. (which I've used and realized I could not write a paper because there was no page and paragraph tools I needed. I have nothing against going mobile. Also I disagree works is insufficient. I believe that is exactly what would satisfy the average user (not the Mac one, the ipad one.)
  6. EMPOLLA's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #26  
    I don't see how people can complain about this one. This is the next version of windows. Just an upgrade. Just one version.

    If you have a tablet of course you would use the metro UI while on the go and use the simple apps that are built for it by searching through that app store. Apps such as the ones on ipads (they'll look better on Win 8 though).

    When you get home or anywhere you want to get real work done switch over to the classic desktop UI. Then you can also browse for applications through that store.

    **If you've been paying attention to the leaks it's know that Win 8 will add lots of new features to the classic desktop experience.**

    Windows 8 has the same specs and even lower than those of Windows 7. We already have all the requirements we need to run it. It's also going to be running on ARM processors.

    So when MS releases windows 8 it will automatically be number 1 in the tablet space considering that at least a 100 mil will get it on day one. Of course the OEMs will have a variety of hardware for the release akin to the atrix and it's dock.

    This really makes chromeOS look even more ridiculous.

    The whole point of this is so you don't need a phone, a tablet, and a computer. Now it's just a phone and a computer.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    Granted we are on a Palm forum and I'm a huge Palm fan but I ain't going to mince words here: webOS isn't even in the same class as WP7. It's a distant second which is still better than iOS or Android but it's not even close.
    The GUI design on WP7 is infinitively superior to that of WebOS. I'm not saying WebOS isn't as good, or better, but the user interface is seriously lacking. I'm currently a WebOS user, but I'm seriously thinking about making the jump to WP7 once Mango is released.
  8. #28  
    Here's a 9 1/2 minutes video of the demo of Windows 8. I really like! I will love to see the entire demo!!

    Microsofts Windows 8 Operating System Unvieled

    Now there is a 75-80% chance that all my devices next year will be Windows devices (PC, tablet, phone).
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    The GUI design on WP7 is infinitively superior to that of WebOS. I'm not saying WebOS isn't as good, or better, but the user interface is seriously lacking. I'm currently a WebOS user, but I'm seriously thinking about making the jump to WP7 once Mango is released.
    correct and I have a htc Arrive and had it since launch. These phones are really fast, and the transitions are perfect. Again as I stated before what it has over webos is a fully optimized OS, I havent had a lag issue ever, and applications open up instantly. Also the VK (and the hard keyboard is ridiculious but we all know HTC can make phones) is the best Ive tried them all, as well as IE is the best browser by far. I use these phones on the go for buisness and the htc arrive has not stumbled yet under tough pressure when I needed things fast, and the battery life I get at least 16hrs on heavy use insane. Though with all this still webos once optimized, will be a sure winner, i just think as you stated the interface for WP7 is so clean and professional looking its hard not to like it, those who bash it have not really tried it.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    correct and I have a htc Arrive and had it since launch. These phones are really fast, and the transitions are perfect. Again as I stated before what it has over webos is a fully optimized OS, I havent had a lag issue ever, and applications open up instantly. Also the VK (and the hard keyboard is ridiculious but we all know HTC can make phones) is the best Ive tried them all, as well as IE is the best browser by far. I use these phones on the go for buisness and the htc arrive has not stumbled yet under tough pressure when I needed things fast, and the battery life I get at least 16hrs on heavy use insane. Though with all this still webos once optimized, will be a sure winner, i just think as you stated the interface for WP7 is so clean and professional looking its hard not to like it, those who bash it have not really tried it.
    I have the arrive as well... it is the best phone I've ever owned... what a killer OS... I upgraded the micro sd card to 32 gb since I have zune pass.

    I kept telling everyone to relax.... yea, apple kicked the door in with the ipad... but as netbooks shown, MS knows how to fight back.

    Windows 8... windows phone 8... windows live 5... xbox...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions