Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    What isn't important, or even advisable, is to scare people with exaggerated claims about their risks. It isn't advisable because health care costs. It costs individuals. Not just money but time and emotional stress.
    Truth is, melanoma can kill you, it will kill you if you don't get it treated. Its not an exaggeration but at the same time its scary. Same as H1N1, not everyone will die if you get it, but some will, and it can spread pretty fast. Its scary, but its the truth. Its stressful to think about it, but its better to let people know than to just sugar coat the issue.

Further, it isn't advisable because people look to medical professionals for real answers, not scare tactics. If they continually get scare tactics, they let their guard down, often to below what would otherwise have been appropriate had they been given better information.
    There is always a range of possibilities that can happen in a disease, poor to better. I think the the WHO is also offering these possibilities too, they are painting a picture or worst case scenario, while at the same time, by following sensible public health measures like vaccination, public awareness and exposure control, there is the potential to do much better.

Now imagine how a person would feel if they learned they were being over-treated so that their doctor had more financial resources to provide for charity cases. Case in point, what did Canada do with their excess H1N1 vaccines? Not saying that's definitely what's going on but the statements made by the WHO make me wonder.
    Charity arrgggghhhh! If my doctor took a small part of what he earned from me, used it to help charity cases and only told me after the fact, well I would um, well I would um, well I guess I would like him or her even better.
    I'm sorry that you have the impression I live to criticize.
    I think you are being overly critical on this point.
    I didn't even mean to give the impression that I don't think there's a need for organizations like the WHO or that they do good work. I don't believe I said that at all.
    I am glad to hear that.
    But I do see a trend of "crying wolf" and I also see political activism that makes me distrusting of why they're crying wolf.
    Where you see political activism, I see concern for public safety. I think this is the crux of the whole discussion here.
    On a side note, I wish my dermatologist had the work ethic and professional integrity you appear to.
    Thanks, its not so much professional integrity or work ethic, but the key to being a good doctor is simple, its remembering that you are not working for the insurance company, you are not working for your hospital or health care system, you are not working for the pharmaceutical industry, in fact your real boss is the patient, and you fight with these other entities on the patient's behalf to get them the absolute best care you possibly can. Your patients will always appreciate you for doing that.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 06/05/2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: clarified a couple points
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    Truth is, melanoma can kill you, it will kill you if you don't get it treated. Its not an exaggeration but at the same time its scary. Same as H1N1, not everyone will die if you get it, but some will, and it can spread pretty fast. Its scary, but its the truth. Its stressful to think about it, but its better to let people know than to just sugar coat the issue.
    Agreed, the truth is bad enough. There's no reason to inflate the number of death and morbidity due to melanoma.

Charity arrgggghhhh! If my doctor took a small part of what he earned from me, used it to help charity cases and only told me after the fact, well I would um, well I would um, well I guess I would like him or her even better.
    You think so? You would ignore the dishonesty? Being over-treated (and over-charged, over-inconvenienced, etc)? Somehow, I don't think your altruism extends quite that far.

I think you are being overly critical on this point.
    Yet if I'm wrong about this I would "just move on to criticize something else".

Where you see political activism, I see concern for public safety. I think this is the crux of the whole discussion here.
    For whom and at what cost?
    You think so? You would ignore the dishonesty? Being over-treated (and over-charged, over-inconvenienced, etc)? Somehow, I don't think your altruism extends quite that far.
    Canada deciding to donate excess vaccine to WHO to be used for poor countries - I'm totally fine with that.
    Canada donates excess H1N1 vaccine to WHO | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Yet if I'm wrong about this I would "just move on to criticize something else".
    I'm afraid my attempt at a friendly jibe backfired badly. I'm sorry if you took offense.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12