Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 24 of 24
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Of course.....the Holiday back then honored all soldiers killed in the Civil War.....both Confederate and Union. Not sure why people are hesitant to mention the Confederate soldiers....odd.
    I don't think thats correct. In fact, a separate Confederate Memorial Day was set up in several southern states to remedy this. In your state, Confederate Memorial Day is May 10.

    Confederate Memorial Day observed in SC - WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina |
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    I don't think thats correct. In fact, a separate Confederate Memorial Day was set up in several southern states to remedy this. In your state, Confederate Memorial Day is May 10.

    Confederate Memorial Day observed in SC - WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina |
    Agreed....I was just pointing out that many people (many, not all, and generally not from the South) often seem to disregard the Confederate soldiers who lost their life while quick to speak highly of the Union soldiers who did. Not trying to start an arguement at all....I just said it was odd how some people aren't real quick to mention the Confederate soldiers....like it's a bad word or something.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Agreed....I was just pointing out that many people (many, not all, and generally not from the South) often seem to disregard the Confederate soldiers who lost their life while quick to speak highly of the Union soldiers who did. Not trying to start an arguement at all....I just said it was odd how some people aren't real quick to mention the Confederate soldiers....like it's a bad word or something.
    I suppose if you look at it from the perspective of those who originally started the holiday, slaves who were freed from southern slaveholders by the Union Army, you can understand why it was set up this way.

    At the same time I can understand that for most Confederate soldiers the war was less about slavery than it was protecting their homes, families and culture from what was viewed as an invading force.

    To be honest, I initially tried to avoid this problem by not bringing all of this up in my OP. But its good that you brought it up and that it is being discussed.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
    To be honest, I initially tried to avoid this problem by not bringing all of this up in my OP. But its good that you brought it up and that it is being discussed.
    Well you are quite welcome!
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions