1.    #1  
    Add another item to the list of innovations that HP will probably be slow to bring to market and will be copied before they do it.

http://allthingsd.com/20110524/start...o-windows-pcs/

Essentially, BlueStacks wants to do what HP is doing, but with Android. BlueStacks says this will be a way for PC makers to differentiate themselves in the face of the iPad. While many of them are reacting by releasing their own tablets, BlueStacks questions whether that strategy will be successful, and is betting that Android on PCs will give greater returns.

Of course, HP is way ahead of them by both developing a webOS tablet AND bringing webOS to PCs. Here, webOS has a huge headstart: it will be on all PCs made by the world's largest PC manufacturer, while BlueStacks will have to secure licensing agreements with PC makers, to the tune of at least $10 per PC.

I think BlueStacks will have a tough time persuading HP to pay for Android, when HP already will already have its own mobile-on-PC solution, and it certainly won't help if they don't have the largest PC manufacturer on board. The only recourse then would be for BlueStacks to advertise their solution and get HP users to download it, although the article does not mention if this would be a free download.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    You say you want to run Android apps on the TouchPad? You still like WebOS? Don't want to install Android / hack your TouchPad?

I was reading CNET and came across an article discussing a new program called BlueStacks (free - for now? Android apps can now run on your PC via BlueStacks | Digital Media - CNET News). BlueStacks is currently in Alpha, and allows you to run Android apps, full screen, on your PC.

Download link: Bluestacks :: App Player for Windows :: Run apps fast on your PC or tablet

As you might imagine, the very first thing I did was to try this with SplashTop, and I have to say, it's been working really well! Not PERFECT, but pretty darned good! Not bad for an Alpha release. The best part is, I can sync apps from my phone to the utility, so I get access to everything I've already been using on my phone.

For me, this was a really exciting development. Until now, the only Android emulator I was aware of was in the SDK for Android, and it takes forever to load, and doesn't do full screen, etc etc.

So, if you have SplashTop, or another RDP app, you can use the new BlueStacks App Player for Windows. I recommend giving it a try, because it's free.

It's not perfect - you need to get used to the double-tap-drag method of scrolling (because of how SplashTop handles dragging), and I had to adjust PC resolution to get a couple of apps to display correctly. Some use too large of fonts at 1024x768. There obviously isn't support for things like accelerometer, but hey - it's free, and it's available now.

Yes, SplashTop and desktop connectivity is a big "catch", but comparatively speaking, it's a small one. Most Android apps are Internet connected anyway.

Sorry if I'm making a big deal about a small thing, but I was DELIGHTED when I tried this!
    just came across a story about bluestacks( Bluestacks :: App Player for Windows :: Run apps fast on your PC or tablet ) seems that HP wouldnt need to be persuaded as it looks like its an individual's choice whether they want to install the software or not.
    Bluestacks :: App Player for Windows :: Run apps fast on your PC or tablet

well bluestacks has an alpha software out for running android apps on windows....would this be possible for webOS in a card/pdk app or something?
    <threads merged>
    Did a search for Bluestacks before posting - this didn't pop up at the time, thanks for the merge.

Quote Originally Posted by retroblu View Post
    Bluestacks :: App Player for Windows :: Run apps fast on your PC or tablet

well bluestacks has an alpha software out for running android apps on windows....would this be possible for webOS in a card/pdk app or something?

I can tell you that it's possible to run it through Splashtop, which in turn runs on a card. But it's a Windows app. You can't just say *poof* and pop that into a pdk/WebOS app. Totally different systems.
    yea i figured it would be possible w/ splashtop, but was wondering if it would be possible to do an app that runs locally in the event you arent near wifi for example
    The requirement for Facebook and associated substantial permissions is causing some concern on their forums - I've uninstalled it meanwhile till they sort that out.