1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. Please see the link for the balance of the article.

Take care,

Jay

The Perils of Cloud Computing: Lady Gaga Sale Stalls Amazon Servers

By BEN SISARIO, May 23, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/24/bu...gewanted=print

Lady Gaga has made herself a paragon of pop ambition and a spokeswoman for equal rights, but on Monday she became an unwitting symbol for something else: the pitfalls of cloud computing.

“Born This Way” (Interscope), her new album, arrived with a blitz of marketing, and Amazon surprised the singer’s fans by offering a one-day sale of the MP3 version of the album for 99 cents, a full $11 less than its price at iTunes, the Web’s dominant music retailer.

The discount was widely seen as a way for Amazon to promote its new Cloud Drive service, which allows users to store music files on remote servers and stream them over the Internet to their computer or smartphone. But Amazon may have underestimated the zeal (or thrift) of Lady Gaga’s fans. By early afternoon the company’s servers stalled, and many users were unable to download or listen to the album in full. Frustrated customers quickly took to Twitter and to Amazon’s user review page for “Born This Way.”

“Very disappointed,” a customer wrote in a one-star review of the album. “I guess next time I will pay full price and get the album immediately on iTunes.”
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Whomever wrote that article either was dropping the word "cloud computing" to draw interest to the article, or they simply do not understand what the term means. The sale drew lots of customers, causing Amazon's download service to receive more hits than it was capable of handling. That happens all the time on the Internet, when a server receives more traffic than it is capable of handling. The Cloud Drive service was not involved or affected by the increase in traffic. After purchasing the album, purchasers got an email from Amazon offering a free trial of the Cloud Drive service. That's about the extent of the involvement of "cloud computing."

And if iTunes had had a $1 sale on a Lady Gaga album, they might have had the exact same traffic problem.

I give this author an F.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  3.    #3  
    Hi all,

Well Amazon will try once again with Lady GaGa and the great Cloud Music bargain download....

Please see the link for the balance of the article.

Take care,

Jay

Amazon to Try Again on Lady Gaga Album Special
    By BEN SISARIO, May 26, 2011, 8:47 am,

Amazon to Try Again on Lady Gaga Album Special - NYTimes.com

Amazon stumbled on Monday when it offered Lady Gaga’s new album in the MP3 format at 99 cents, a surprise one-day promotion that proved so popular it stalled the company’s servers. But on Thursday it is trying the promotion again, and promises that it will be prepared.

Amazon will offer Lady Gaga’s new album in the MP3 format at 99 cents on Thursday.
    “Clearly customers are really excited for Lady Gaga’s new album — we saw extraordinary response to Monday’s promotion — far above what we expected. She definitely melted some servers,” Craig Pape, Amazon’s director of music, said in a statement. “So we’re doing it again, and this time we’re ready.”
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Yes I was one of those that tried to get it that day. It took until about 10 PM that night for it to finally download. Talk about not being ready. Hope it goes better today. Just wish I had known about the midtown promotion in the nyc subway. Would love to have gotten a free Veer.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk