1.    #1  
    For all those claiming Bush is a war-crazed fool, intent on ousting Saddam regardless of any actions he takes, it turns out the administration does have at least half an ear toward the world's opinions. Powell just claimed that effectively a completely disarmed Iraq would essentially be a changed regime and therefore would satisfy the policy of "Regime Change." Seems to me like a bad twisting of words to save face, but more importantly it demonstrates that we do have logical people in charge of this country. Don't stop complaining about policy--that's integral to the system--but don't doubt the country and its institutions. "The good ol' days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems."
    Well if it wasn't for the stubborness of the Russians and the French, the U.S stance would not have changed.

Originally posted by KRamsauer
    For all those claiming Bush is a war-crazed fool, intent on ousting Saddam regardless of any actions he takes, it turns out the administration does have at least half an ear toward the world's opinions. Powell just claimed that effectively a completely disarmed Iraq would essentially be a changed regime and therefore would satisfy the policy of "Regime Change." Seems to me like a bad twisting of words to save face, but more importantly it demonstrates that we do have logical people in charge of this country. Don't stop complaining about policy--that's integral to the system--but don't doubt the country and its institutions. "The good ol' days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems."
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by yardie
    Well if it weren't for the stubborness of the Russians and the French, the U.S stance would not have changed.
    I'm not sure if you know it or not, but you're agreeing with me. That's the way it's supposed to work. We shouldn't consider this an anomaly or that we're "lucky" they were so stubborn. The system solicits the opinions of the world and gives veto power to a varied few. Our American system punishes the leadership who fails listen. In the often ugly realm of politics, sometimes things work as designed.
    This is not new. It has been going on since at least the beginning of October (Christian Science Monitor had an article dated ~10/5, IIRC). I can't see how anyone is surprised by it. Bushie has a lot of Reaganites in there. The people freaking over Bushie's statements are the same ones who freaked over Reagan's joke about outlawing the Soviet Union (the bombs start dropping in five minutes). Reagan's cowboy act worked. Bushie's will likely work as well. "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by Toby
    This is not new. It has been going on since at least the beginning of October (Christian Science Monitor had an article dated ~10/5, IIRC). I can't see how anyone is surprised by it. Bushie has a lot of Reaganites in there. The people freaking over Bushie's statements are the same ones who freaked over Reagan's joke about outlawing the Soviet Union (the bombs start dropping in five minutes). Reagan's cowboy act worked. Bushie's will likely work as well. "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
    I have no idea what that means or even if it's actually French like I think it is. Wait, Googling......"The more that changes, the more it is the same thing." Hey cool. Let's see, where was I? Oh, yes... Look at that, we agree on something. BRB, the doorbell just rang. I think the cows just came home.
    I have no idea what that means or even if it's actually French like I think it is. Wait, Googling......"The more that changes, the more it is the same thing." [...]
    En anglais, the more things change; the more they stay the same.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...