Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I don't use a Mac, however my nephew and my soon to be stepson do. The article contains three links.

The link just below leads to the first article. The two other links are from embedded links in the article.

I suggest you go directly to the article b/c it illustrates some of the malware in question.

Take care,

Jay

PS I am posting this as a Public Serice, I'm not kocking Macs.

An AppleCare support rep talks: Mac malware is "getting worse"
    By Ed Bott | May 18, 2011, 5:21am PDT

Apple to support reps: "Do not attempt to remove malware" | ZDNet

Apple is actively conducting an internal investigation into the Mac Defender malware attack I wrote about yesterday

(here and here).

Note from Jay: Since the links from the article won't work from the text, I am including the links in order of how they are mentioned in the article:

Crying wolf? Apple support forums confirm malware explosion | ZDNet

AND

An AppleCare support rep talks: Mac malware is "getting worse" | ZDNet
    An internal document with a Last Modified date of Monday, May 16, 2011 notes that this is an “Issue/Investigation In Progress.”
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    It's because of market share increase. When not enough people used Mac, the virus makers didn't care. There's been a big increase so these virus making jerks now take notice.

I do have to say I'm unimpressed with Apple's response. MSFT offers full virus removal. Free.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/19/2011 at 12:24 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It's because of market share increase. When not enough people used Mac, the virus makers didn't care. There's been a big increase so these virus making jerks now take notice.

I do have to say I'm unimpressed with Apple's response. MSFT offers full virus removal. Free.
    Dear Diva,

How right you are.

For years the few Apple users I know all said "Apple's OS is impervious to Malware".

I kept thinking two things:
    1. sure it is, (not believing that for a minute).
    or
    2. that there weren't enough Apple users to bother creating Malware...which is what I always assumed.

The Irony is that the these Apple computer users I know claim the sales staff at Apple told them that, "Apple's OS is impervious to Malware". Which certainly made me NOT believe it.

I also agree with you, that Apple should be defending their OS with free support software, I had no Idea they were charging $ for it. Talk about the nerve of a bad tooth!

Take care,

Jay

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    AC: Indeed, a lot of it does seem to stem from hearing from the sales person that there’s built in antivirus, and they believe that’s what they’re seeing when it comes up.
    Ahhh yes, the "Geniuses" at their best!!

Exactly, now that more people are starting to use Macs, it's becoming more lucrative for cyber-criminals to target Macs. I think MSFT offers full free virus removal because they were under pressure to do so. Windows has the unfortunate reputation of being prone to viruses, which Apple exploited in the "I'm a Mac" commercials, so they offer virus removal to save face. Apple has not had to do that, so their response is of course going to be weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Windows has the unfortunate reputation of being prone to viruses...
    I would not say Windows is prone to viruses. I would say Windows is prone to being a target of viruses. From a technical standpoint, I would be surprised if OSX is actually more secure than Windows. Windows releases security updates nearly daily, as the evil virus makers of the world find more ways to break in. Mac does not have the benefit of being under that sort of high-intensity scrutiny, and IMO, is likely to have far more vulnerabilities just waiting to be exploited.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I seriously cannot wait for the day we realize macs are just as unsafe as pcs. That day, I think ill start drinking just to celebrate. That day will be a good day.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Dear Diva,

How right you are.

For years the few Apple users I know all said "Apple's OS is impervious to Malware".

I kept thinking two things:
    1. sure it is, (not believing that for a minute).
    or
    2. that there weren't enough Apple users to bother creating Malware...which is what I always assumed.

The Irony is that the these Apple computer users I know claim the sales staff at Apple told them that, "Apple's OS is impervious to Malware". Which certainly made me NOT believe it.

I also agree with you, that Apple should be defending their OS with free support software, I had no Idea they were charging $ for it. Talk about the nerve of a bad tooth!

Take care,

Jay

Take care,

Jay
    I was considering a move to Mac once again, like I did years ago, due to increased developer support. Unfortunately evil and/or inept MSFT(we know they have their issues too) wins my next laptop dollars. I can't believe Geniuses, even if only Mac users, would not be knowledgeable enough to know that particular scam hits Windows a lot and now it seems they're coming for Mac users. Or that Apple would bury it's head in the sand to that degree. Are they going to wait until users get scammed? Some independent virus removal software made for Mac will have to be used. Meanwhile we get a free online tool or MSE from MSFT. Sometimes MSFT comes out amazingly good along with their amazingly bad history. lol
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Exactly, now that more people are starting to use Macs, it's becoming more lucrative for cyber-criminals to target Macs. I think MSFT offers full free virus removal because they were under pressure to do so. Windows has the unfortunate reputation of being prone to viruses, which Apple exploited in the "I'm a Mac" commercials, so they offer virus removal to save face. Apple has not had to do that, so their response is of course going to be weak.
    MSFT doesn't always bury it's head the sand either. They plug found faults every month. Apple should be ashamed! That particular scam is well known. Plus Syndil is right. I believe there's a hacker "summit" every year in which OSX gets pwned within minutes. I've read the details on Ars Technica.

P.S. Yes I believe Windows gets pwned too, along with Chrome the last time.

Fortunately, as a user of both platforms, I have PLENTY of experience being phished and scammed on Windows computers to not fall for this....
  11.    #11  

Hi all,

I have been busy with other issues today, but it kept running thru the back of my mind that Apple is charging for Malware removal and I decided they have as much chutzpah, (Yiddish for "A Great Deal Of Nerve)* as Donald Trump!

* The best definition of Chutzpah is a translation from an old Yiddish proverb:

Chutzpah: One who kills his parents then asks for sympathy because he is an orphan

Take care,

Jay
    Actually I thought I read that document as they won't help you one bit with malware, even if you paid for Apple Care. But even so, with MSFT offering free tools online for everyone and no one even having to go into a store(unless they are very tech ignorant), I'm getting Windows again. I won't pay $2200 for "we won't assist you", when the competitor does.

Just my personal principles.

13.    #13  
    Actually I thought I read that document as they won't help you one bit with malware, even if you paid for Apple Care. But even so, with MSFT offering free tools online for everyone and no one even having to go into a store(unless they are very tech ignorant), I'm getting Windows again. I won't pay $2200 for "we won't assist you", when the competitor does.

Just my personal principles.
    Hi Diva,

That's even worse.
    Chutzpah x 1,000!

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Fortunately, as a user of both platforms, I have PLENTY of experience being phished and scammed on Windows computers to not fall for this....
    However, if this particular malware does somehow get onto your computer, you must remove it immediately!! This scam uses some kind of exploit to infect you with constant pop up to "buy" this anti-virus. It shuts down any attempt to remove or even stop it from running though, you have to boot in safe mode to install or use removal tools. You don't have to fall for the scam, the malware is the first scam already.

Found this on CNET:

How to remove MacDefender fake antivirus program | The Download Blog - Download.com
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/19/2011 at 06:19 PM.

However, if this particular malware does somehow get onto your computer, you must remove it immediately!! This scam uses some kind of exploit to infect you with constant pop up to "buy" this anti-virus. It shuts down any attempt to remove or even stop it from running though, you have to boot in safe mode to install or use removal tools. You don't have to fall for the scam, the malware is the first scam already.

Found this on CNET:

How to remove MacDefender fake antivirus program | The Download Blog - Download.com
    One poor guy put his cc details in and the malware said denied.. He put 5 diff cc .. Than called apple.. Poor guy, got no help from them

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    He's going to have to change all his cards now. I hate these thieves!! And like I said, no $2200(or even less) from me due to this. MacBook Pros only. It's likely I'll try the iPhone 5/4S(they seem to offer good support there). I'm sure others will pay the MacBook price, but I'm too put off by the reaction from Apple concerning this.

Yes, for years, the biggest reason Macs weren't as prone to get viruses was the virus makers went for who would give them the biggest bang for the buck.

However, there's more to it than just that.
    I'll see if I can find the info, but two reasons were/are: what is required for a virus to get installed on a mac, and how contained it remains if somehow it gets installed.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    linux anyone?

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
  19.    #19  
    Hi all,

Here is more on the subject. Please see the link for the entire article.

Take care,
    Jay

Modern Mac owners need to ignore the dinosaurs and get protection
    By Adrian Kingsley-Hughes | May 19, 2011, 6:12am PDT

Modern Mac owners need to ignore the dinosaurs and get protection | ZDNet

I can’t believe that we’re still having a discussion over whether or not the bad guys have begun targeting Mac users. I really can’t. I’m truly staggered by the fact that people who have been around computers for decades and who are supposedly keeping their finger on the tech pulse are still clinging on for dear life to the notion that Mac is somehow immune of invulnerable to modern malware.

John Gruber, the guy behind the Mac site Daring Fireball says that those who dare to suggest that there’s a problem are crying wolf. To back up his ‘claim’ (and I can’t put enough quotes around that word so I won’t bother trying) he pulls quotes from the internet going all the way back to 2005. His point seems to be that because someone made a prediction in 2005 that a wave of Mac malware was coming, and it didn’t materialize, then it can’t possibly happen in 2011 either because of some ancient lore that says that things never change and the past always equals the future.
    I understand but how is it different from the similar malware on PCs?

BTW, all the angst over having to pay to fix a borked computer is a bit overblown because I can't tell you how many people I know couldn't fix their own malware on PCs and brought in tech support to re-format their computers or re-install their OS.

Heck, I've done it for a few people (for free....) but there are a lot of people who are just not savvy enough to protect their systems, or fix them when they do get infected.

Sure MS offers a security solution for free but that harkens back to the days when IE was a hole-y piece of crap.

By this standard, Safari has had protection built in too.

Doesn't mean either computer is safe, esp to a novice user who clicks on stuff.

Found this on CNET:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast