Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Modern Mac owners need to ignore the dinosaurs and get protection | ZDNet

I can’t believe that we’re still having a discussion over whether or not the bad guys have begun targeting Mac users. I really can’t.

I think this is a very popular meme (much like 'all those people' who believe Nigerian scams or the $250 cookie recipe) but in practice, I don't know a single user who really believes their Mac is immune.

That's just stupid.

I don't doubt there are users who believe that, but there are dumb people every where not just among Apple users.

A good portion of those people who believe the rapture occurs tomorrow use PCs....just sayin'.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I understand but how is it different from the similar malware on PCs?

BTW, all the angst over having to pay to fix a borked computer is a bit overblown because I can't tell you how many people I know couldn't fix their own malware on PCs and brought in tech support to re-format their computers or re-install their OS.

Heck, I've done it for a few people (for free....) but there are a lot of people who are just not savvy enough to protect their systems, or fix them when they do get infected.

Sure MS offers a security solution for free but that harkens back to the days when IE was a hole-y piece of crap.

By this standard, Safari has had protection built in too.

Doesn't mean either computer is safe, esp to a novice user who clicks on stuff.
    Hi,

My only problem is where you have an Apple employee tell a customer that Apple OS is impervious to malware...in the past 2 days I have spoke to 4 people I know who have Mac's that are 2 years or less. Each of them were told by the Apple store sales staff some kind of variation of Apple OS is impervious to malware....yet article after article has said that isn't the case.

The issue is exactly as Ms Diva stated above, there weren't enough Mac users to bother creating Malware for until recently.

I so dislike liars! The lying portion of the sales staff is truly what disturbs me...it sounds like a scene out of the Play & Movie Glengarry Glen Ross. Then again, I have heard a few lulu's of lies from PC sales staff as well.

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I understand but how is it different from the similar malware on PCs?

BTW, all the angst over having to pay to fix a borked computer is a bit overblown because I can't tell you how many people I know couldn't fix their own malware on PCs and brought in tech support to re-format their computers or re-install their OS.

Heck, I've done it for a few people (for free....) but there are a lot of people who are just not savvy enough to protect their systems, or fix them when they do get infected.

Sure MS offers a security solution for free but that harkens back to the days when IE was a hole-y piece of crap.

By this standard, Safari has had protection built in too.

Doesn't mean either computer is safe, esp to a novice user who clicks on stuff.
    Mac Defender and it's ilk are often drive by downloads, you don't need to click on anything.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #24  
    I think this is a very popular meme (much like 'all those people' who believe Nigerian scams or the $250 cookie recipe) but in practice, I don't know a single user who really believes their Mac is immune.

That's just stupid.

I don't doubt there are users who believe that, but there are dumb people every where not just among Apple users.

A good portion of those people who believe the rapture occurs tomorrow use PCs....just sayin'.
    Hi I agree with you......

The 4 Mac users I spoke to DIDN'T believe for a minute that their computers were immune.,....they were however told that they WERE immune, by Apple sales staff.

As I stated just above it is the lying that bothers me....you are also correct that there are dumb people everywhere after all look at our own government!

BTW since you obliquely mentioned it, if the rapture does happen tomorrow, I personally will go eat my fedora!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    linux anyone?
    OSX is Linux, so no. Linux has benefited from the same obscurity as Mac, but that does not mean it is inherently more secure than Windows.

I know that's blasphemy to some of the Linux faithful, but hey, don't be a fan-person.

Is Linux Really More Secure Than Windows? - www.esecurityplanet.com
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    >>My only problem is where you have an Apple employee tell a customer that Apple OS is impervious to malware...in the past 2 days I have spoke to 4 people I know who have Mac's that are 2 years or less. Each of them were told by the Apple store sales staff some kind of variation of Apple OS is impervious to malware....yet article after article has said that isn't the case. >>

Well, we can compare stupid sales people too, if you'd like.

I hope they are not the minority but they sure wouldn't be the only sales people who lied to make a sale.

There are good and bad people/users/salesmen/religious prophets out there of all stripes.

There are so many other good fann-ish type things to argue about, this one seems to be a non starter....
  7.    #27  
    Hi

FYI.

Please see the supplied link for the balance of the article.

Thanks and take care,

Jay

Apple continues to tell support reps: do not help with Mac malware

By Ed Bott | May 23, 2011, 11:49pm PDT

Apple continues to tell support reps: do not help with Mac malware | ZDNet

How is Apple responding to the flood of customer calls about installations of the Mac Defender malware?

According to multiple tech support insiders, the company has doubled down on its policy of denying any help to affected customers. Meanwhile, despite evidence that a large number of customers have been affected by this issue, Apple has made no public statement and did not respond to two requests for comment.

My sources tell me call volume for Mac Defender-related issues continues to be high. One AppleCare support agent told me last week that 50% of calls in the previous week were related to this issue. A rep in a different location confirmed that number but said volume had dropped this week:

In the first days after Intego identified the issue I would say 50-60% of calls were driven by Mac Defender.

Now still within the 20-25% range….I think Google may be getting a handle on the gamed SEOSEOSEO $placements$ $and$ $poisoned$ $links$ $that$ $started$ $the$ $whole$ $fiasco$.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9.    #29  
    Hi all,

Here's more.

Please see the link for the rest of the article.

Take care,

Jay

Mac Defender malware variant doesn't require password
    MacGuard fake antivirus spotted by Intego
    By Ben Camm-Jones | Macworld UK | Published: 10:45, 26 May 11

http://news.techworld.com/security/3...sword/?olo=rss

Mac OS X users have been warned to be wary of a new variation of the Mac Defender 'scareware' that is said to be more dangerous than the original infection.

According to experts at security firm Intego, MacGuard is more dangerous than Mac Defender and several earlier variants including Mac Protector and Mac Security, as it doesn't require an administrator password to install.
    I think the floodgates are beginning to creep open. Wonder how an onrush of viruses will affect the Mac user base. I think that would take a lot of wind out of their sails.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    It will take the wind out of their bragging rights, that's for sure.

But these fake anti-virus people, whatever the platform, are scum IMO.

12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I think the floodgates are beginning to creep open. Wonder how an onrush of viruses will affect the Mac user base. I think that would take a lot of wind out of their sails.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It will take the wind out of their bragging rights, that's for sure.

But these fake anti-virus people, whatever the platform, are scum IMO.
    HI, I have to agree with both of you on this. The virus issue happens, it's a very unfortunate issue, but it happens. The horrible attitude of Apple is what disturbs me the most.

Take care,

Jay
    I'm hoping the fact that they finally acknowledged it and a fix means they got their head out of the sand. Yes Macs can be infected, very easily since Mac users generally have no anti-malware software.

I am still waiting for the onslaught of viruses. I don't disagree they exist and I don't disagree users should be vigilant.

But while almost every single PC user I know has been infected with spyware or malware, I don't personally know a single Apple user that has.

Again: I am not denying -- and have never denied -- that viruses exist, but if you're going by numbers its still not a huge problem in the Mac world.

And for YEARS people have been telling me that it is going to be.

Maybe now is the time, but more likely, these latests exploits will be fixed and life goes on.
    But you see that the Mac Defender and it's brothers are indeed real and have hit Mac users, right? Someone is clearly poised to take advantage of the increase in Mac users. Do not assume they won't try anything else if Mac Defender gets fixed. Someone already is using the "no password" method. If the increase in Mac users continues, you bet they will try something else.

Oh totally. And I expect any day now to get a call from my brother, telling me the kids did something to the iMac.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12