1.    #1  
    Hi all,

3D Printing is coming of age.

Take care,

Jay

With Help From Shapeways, You Can Print Your Dishes
    By NICK BILTON,May 12, 2011, 10:52 am
    Shapeways Objects printed with Shapeways’ ceramic 3-D printer.

Shapeways Offers 3-D Printing with Ceramics - NYTimes.com

Shapeways, a company that allows people to print 3-D objects, announced on Thursday that it will now let you print things in a ceramic material that is “food safe.” Until now, 3-D printers have primarily printed in plastics or other materials that you wouldn’t want to eat off of.

In a release, Shapeways said it hopes customers will take advantage of the food-safe material to create “ceramic tableware, including salt and pepper shakers, plates, mugs and more that actually can be used for eating and drinking.”

Peter Weijmarshausen, Shapeways chief executive, said ceramic 3-D printing will let people create highly personalized products for their home.

Although still on the fringes for many, 3-D printing has grown rapidly in recent years with people printing everything from prosthetic limbs to trinkets and memorabilia.

Ceramic 3-D printing works by adding multiple layers of ceramic powder to create an object, which is put in an oven to dry and harden and then fired in a kiln at high temperature. Finally, the object is glazed to make it smooth.

The cost of printing will range based on the size of the object; small figurines (which likely wouldn’t be used for eating) will cost $20 to print, and large fruit bowls will cost $100 or more.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I'll buy in when you can print food onto your plates.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    I'll buy in when you can print food onto your plates.

Hi all,

I grew up in Queens NYC and lived there in the same house for 38 years...the 1964-'65 World's Fair was walking distance to my house and we went often. (My uncle was an electrician working at the fair so we got free passes any time we wanted). We used to go after school or after dinner.

The GE pavilion was called The Carousel of Progress...it was later moved to Disney and was down here for decades, as it was here when I moved 45 NW of Disney 14 years ago, (it has since closed).

They showed a device that was supposed to take the place of a kitchen cabinet. You eat off of your dishes and placed the dirty dishes into this machine. It incinerated the food off the plates, melted the plates down and made new ones...

This 3D printer made me think of that. However, I want a food replicator as in Star Trek: The Next Generation, (I love to cook and bake, however, there are times it would be nice to have a machine do it for you)!

LOL.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group