1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I have to say that I agree with David on this one. Behemoths in the computer biz almost always destroy the firm they take over, (one exception is HP buying Palm).

I won't be surprised to see Skype join the ranks of those that have crashed and burned!

I consider myself a glass half full kinda guy, but MS' track record for such things isn't good.

Make sure you go to the link to read the entire article.

Take care,

Jay

MAY 12, 2011, 1:46 PM
    The Future of Skype

The Future of Skype - NYTimes.com

Microsoft reached a deal to acquire Skype earlier this week.

Well, you heard the news: Microsoft is going to buy Skype for $8.5 billion. Itís the most money Microsoft has ever spent for anything.

Analysts ó the ones who think the deal is a good idea ó say that Microsoft can use Skypeís voice and video technology to build into its products, like Windows and Kinect.

But thatís such a weird analysis, since Windows and Kinect already have voice and video built in. Hello? NetMeeting? Windows Live Messenger?
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    I consider myself a glass half full kinda guy, but MS' track record for such things isn't good.?
    Not really... heck, look at Live mesh... know there that came from?

But thatís such a weird analysis, since Windows and Kinect already have voice and video built in. Hello? NetMeeting? Windows Live Messenger?
    You don't really understand how the technology works, do you?

I'll admit, I did not either, until I researched how WLM, Lync, Netmeeting, etc worked.

The tech is much different than skype.

At $14 a user (or the number being kicked around), it might have been cheaper for MS to purchase than build their own. If they built their own, someone would have gotten skype and had a competitive advantage...

Then we don't know the direction MS is taking.... or how far ahead they have planned.

Heck, I love live mesh... use it daily. Because of it, I also use other Live properties.

I'm sure the inclusion of a product into a larger product set cannot be calculated. How many people would use "X" if "M" was not included. It is impossible to know... you can do the variables: least, likely and most (all that wonderful crap we learned in MBA classes), but who knows for sure. It is like predicting the future. lol

I'm interested to see what MS does with the tech... if they do what I think they could do with it (secure it and bundle with Win 8 or 9... wp7 maybe?), they will more than make their money back.

I do get your point, that MS could have easily built a skype... they could have, for more than likely less (unless skype ownes patents we don't know about, etc... so many variables).
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001