1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. SONY has a MAJOR problem 2 break ins in 1 week! Please see the link for the rest of the article....

Take care,

Jay

The ID Theft Prevention Tool That Sony Isnít Using

By RON LIEBER, May 6, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/07/yo...gewanted=print

On Thursday, Sonyís chairman and chief executive, Howard Stringer, finally got around to apologizing for the security breach that left the personal data of 77 million customers vulnerable to hackers.

And more than a week after the company first warned its customers about the possibility of identity theft, it at last provided details about the protection it was now offering them: a free one-year subscription to a surveillance service that searches for evidence that they may have become victims of identity theft and alerts them if anything turns up.

Hereís what Sony is not doing, though: offering to pay for something called a security freeze for any customer who wants one.

A surveillance service is reactive. By the time you get an alert from one, thieves may have already done a lot of damage.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    They may not know what they're doing with our info entrusted to them, and that is the bottom line!! So what if people cancelled their cards?! That somehow gets Sony off the hook?

And more Sony fail:
    Sony misses promised PlayStation Network and Qriocity restoration date, begs for more patience -- Engadget

I have an idea, quit making promises and just get your act together Sony!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    Hi all,

Diva as usual your right on the money! (No pun intended).

This is not a new problem...it only is made far worse as technology grows.

I am 55, when I was 18 (which seems like a million years ago, LOL), I applied for a Macy's credit card and was turned down, (this is when the department stores all owned their own credit cards, today it is farmed out to likes of GE Capital and Citibank)...

I was refused a card twice, (wait till you read this one), back in those days they only had to tell you why after you were refused twice and only if you asked in writing. The reason the claimed was that I already had one, (I didn't) as well as a card from Bloomingdale's and Sak's Fifth Ave.

It took weeks to get to the bottom of it all.

My legal name Jay Michael Silverman. My Mother's legal name is Jeannette Sylvia Silverman. Back then they had a limit on the number of letters one could use on a credit card, (for all I know they still do)....so my Mom had to have her name listed as J. S. Silverman.

The mixed up Jay Silverman for J. S. Silverman, (I was only 18 and still living at home, so we had the same address).

However, after the 2nd denial they sent a credit report and the report was so mixed up.

FOR EXAMPLE:

1. They listed me having a Macy's, Bloomingdale's and Sak's Fifth Ave FROM BEFORE I WAS BORN, (4 YEARS BEFORE TO BE EXACT).

2. In addition they also had my Social Security number about half way down the page, it said, "PLEASE NOTE A CHANGE OF SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER". My parents got my Social Security number a week after I was born, (back then, it was mandatory until you started working).

You cannot get a NEW social security number...the only way that happens is thru witness protection and trust me it isn't as if the DOJ is going to tell that to the credit agencies!

From there on out I started using my middle initial on all legal documents. I went to the DMV and had my drivers license changed to reflect my middle initial, which is "M", as in Michael and the credit agencies took care of the mess they made.

I also did get the 3 credit cards I asked for, under my Name not on my parent's accounts, (back then they didn't do that either)...

All of the letters where signed by a Mrs. Emeric. There was an Ironic part to all of this, when this started I had just watched the movie "Desk Set" with Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn.....In the movie Kate plays they head of a research department for a major firm.... Spencer plays an efficiency expert.

He installs a computer in her office that is called Emeric....even then the movie script was way head of it's time....

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Are you reading the reports? Sony may have not used up to date security!! It may be a smokescreen that this was a "sophisticated" attack!! The AG of NY doesn't think they should get off the hook so easily either!! Do you get that they are storing personal info and need to take proper security measures??

No they are not stuck and I believe you know that very well!!

Have fun being in denial:

Security Expert: Sony Knew Its Software Was Obsolete Months Before PSN Breach - The Consumerist
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/07/2011 at 03:12 PM.

Like your info being stolen and ending up who knows where and in what hands is not a consequence???

So no loss of customers? That's not exactly what these people think. Developers are probably not happy either. You had the release of several high profile games during the first days of the outage and there are new ones coming up soon.

Billion-dollar PSN outage may not be fully remedied until May 31

Why don't you put this or me on ignore then if it's so boring to you? Or does that function even work?

I'm not so sure. Developers already favor XBL. There's much more exclusive DLC for XBL. Maybe MSFT is somehow wooing them, but you have to admit, comparing the 2 platforms; if you want to game a lot, Xbox 360 is the winner. Sony's outage is already making some who can afford it move.

And you have governments breathing down Sony's neck. Along with angry posts in their blogs about Sony's non-info in their so-called updates from PS3 owners. That can't be good. This won't be going away that soon.

Sony's going to give away free games or content, big deal. That'll appease the kids who just want their online, but where's the email with the ID theft protection they mentioned?

I'm mainly speaking in terms of consoles, I should have said. The Wii sold more than both but wasn't played as much as the 360, which matters more in the end. I'd say PC is still a contender in general but developers are abandoning it for consoles due to people willing to pay for DLC on those(as in incomplete games being sold). Many PC gamers are old school and know a lot of that is a rip off. And consoles have dumbed down graphics, from what I've read. Then you have consistent removal of dedicated servers and mods for PC gamers.

But the public perception is still that XBL is better for console gamers and the PSN outage does not help. You get people rubbing it in with "you got what you paid for", forgetting that games are sold with online in mind for all consoles.

I'm not sure Sony will come out unscathed. Maybe next year people will forget. But I think the rest of the year and even Holiday sales will suck a bit. I read they think around the end of the month PSN will truly be on again. For onliners wanting to play all these new games, that is a big kick in the gut for $60. Not to mention developers must be silently screaming since many games are now sold with online as a major component. And it remains to be seen what these various governments will do.

P.S. Here's an article that addresses the developer problem. They likely can't sue but will they have long memories?

Is Sony liable to third parties for PSN outage? Ars explores the damage
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/10/2011 at 09:16 PM.