Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. The balance of this article is located at the supplied link.

Take care,

Jay

Sony PlayStation suffers massive data breach

Liana B. Baker and Jim Finkle, Reuters, 7:38 p.m. EDT, April 26, 2011

Sony PlayStation suffers massive data breach - OrlandoSentinel.com

NEW YORK/BOSTON (Reuters) - Sony suffered a massive breach in its video game online network that led to the theft of names, addresses and possibly credit card data belonging to 77 million user accounts in what is one of the largest-ever Internet security break-ins.

Sony learned that user information had been stolen from its PlayStation Network seven days ago, prompting it to shut down the network immediately. But Sony did not tell the public until Tuesday.

The electronics conglomerate is the latest Japanese company to come under fire for not disclosing bad news quickly. Tokyo Electric Power Co was criticized for how it handled the nuclear crisis after the March earthquake. Last year, Toyota Motor Corp was slammed for being less than forthright about problems surrounding its massive vehicle recall.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I've been following this for 2 days now, big Sony fail. They took 6 days to tell us our data has been breached, 6 days. Nice going Sony.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    Hi,

Yes they have major egg on their faces!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Lame excuses for the delay in info:

Clarifying a Few PSN Points – PlayStation Blog

Let's say that's true and it really took that long to confirm it. So how about a warning that you should be monitoring your credit card submitted to them, just in case??
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Any time you use a credit card is a risk. The chance of your information being compromised is MUCH higher at your favorite local restaurant, than from the Internet. That's not to say it doesn't happen. Sony is doing their part to get this resolved.

As a SMART consumer, you should be monitoring all of your credit/bank accounts regularly regardless.

Beyond that, the name/address/bday info being compromised is not disturbing to me. The same information is available on the Internet (for a very small fee, if not free) already. Have you ever bought a house? Bam. It's out there.

So when PSN comes back online change your password and security question, and live life.... responsibly.
    Ever hear of identity theft? Sony's breach is dangerous!! Enough of the excuses for poor old Sony supposedly doing the best they can!! Sony's silence is very disturbing and this Ars editor is right on the money!

PlayStation Network hacked, data stolen: how badly is Sony hurt?

Having your credit card info stolen is not the same as identity theft and is relatively easy to recover from. If you are worried that they have taken enough information to possibly apply for loans or other credit cards, you can put a fraud alert on your credit profile with the three major credit-tracking agencies. I've done this before myself. You only have to submit the fraud alert to one of the agencies--they will forward it to the other two. This is also a good way to get a free copy of your credit report from all three agencies. They are required to send you one when you file a fraud alert.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Do people read instead of making excuses for Sony??? They got enough info to try identity theft!! Name, birthdate, address, etc. Provided you didn't lie, that is.

From the article:

I called Beth Givens, the director of the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, a "nonprofit education and advocacy organization dedicated to protecting the privacy of American consumers," to get her take on the matter. "The key piece of data for identity theft is the social security number, and that has not been compromised," she told Ars.
    Identity theft is pretty much impossible without the SSN. But like I said, if people are truly worried about it (and not just crying wolf) then they should submit a fraud alert with the credit tracking agencies. Simple enough to do, and will prevent identity theft even if they do have the SSN.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I don't think that identity theft is the big issue here. It is very easy with the information to purchases goods. They would turn you card into tangible money as fast as possible. Being gift cards or online purchases. (trying not to spend to much to be noticed) I don't know of anything I've bought online that asked for my SSN.

Now we don't know if its related, but 2 days ago a buddy of mine, had his debt card declined. His bank stated it was froze because $280 was purchased in the UK at local stores and restraints. We live in USA (NY)!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Identity theft is possible if someone takes the time to search for you, provided your info is accurate.

In-Game - Why the PlayStation Network breach is scary

Sony REALLY had this coming, considering the way they treated some people who were doing innocent homebrew work.

Hopefully they'll realize not to mess with the wrong people again.
    Yes, accessing and stealing people's personal info is the way to show proper retribution for a company shutting down homebrew work. A company must forever be in fear of protecting their copyright lest some ****ed off hacker have a legitimate excuse to bring down their network. Please.

I'd keep a watch on my cards myself, and hopefully you've got some good ones. Someone charged some iTunes cards to me once and my credit card company called me before they even approved that mess. It was great.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    It could be the very act of the hacking to punish Sony. Customers are collateral damage unfortunately. Personally I don't have sympathy for Sony either, only the customers. For a company to make such a huge noise about security and take away features and sue people, then it's proven their own ain't secure? Especially concerning customers' paying info???

I've never been more glad to be a xbox user xD
    Good thing that I don't have a PS3. This will score better for the upcoming Wii 2.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  17.    #17  
    hi all,

The only game I have ever played is on my Centro, it Bejeweled.

I'm not much a a game player!

take care,

jay
    I'm a Wii owner myself. Never been a fan of consoles. I do like some of the games on the PS3 and the Xbox (driving games mostly), but not enough to spend that kind of money. But, IMO, Xbox is way worse. MS nickels and dimes you for everything. Worst of all is Xbox Live. They get a one-fingered salute from me. Can't believe people pay for that crap.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    True MSFT nickels and dimes on the 360 unless you buy the full system. They finally came to their senses and released one that needed no adapter. XBL has a charge if you want to play online. MSFT makes the users pay while Sony makes the developers pay. But still none of our info has been stolen through XBL. Who would you feel safer using right now?

Although they've had their moments too, concerning the Sidekick. I don't understand that mess!! Maintenance but did not create backups first? I still think they did that to ruin the Sidekick line for the Kin line and we see how that turned out!

P.S. I forgot about the dumb proprietary hard drives.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/27/2011 at 03:28 PM.

@Diva I think the whole PSN mess is hugely overblown. I've had CC info stolen before--very easy to deal with. So unless they were getting SSN info, it would be a non-issue for me. I think it's mostly a bunch of ticked-off people wanting to bash Sony because they aren't able to play their games! And if you think MS is somehow hack-proof simply because they haven't been hacked yet I think you're mistaken. Any time you provide CC info online, the potential for it to get stolen exists, regardless of you who are giving it to.

Anyway, I would never pay a corporation a monthly fee for the privilege of using the Internet connection that I already pay for. Yes, I know the arguments for Xbox Live, and I reject them all. I'll stick with my PC and Steam, thank you. Hell of a lot cheaper than any console, and get better controls (mouse + keyboard) to boot. If I want the casual/party gaming experience, I fire up the Wii. Can't wait for the Wii 2.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast