Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    As for the always on DRM, the newer games have this. True, older games didn't. But these big name publishers are starting to screw over PC gamers big time. Thanks Ubisoft, for one. Jerks!
    Ubisoft Quietly Kills Always-On DRM - Paul Tassi - Insert Coin - Forbes

Like I said, only a very small handful of games on Steam have always-on DRM, and it's definitely NOT because they are on Steam. Ubisoft and EA were the two major publishers to use the type of DRM, and Ubi has already done away with it and patched it out. EA has also gotten the message, and has backed down on the "always-on" part.

UPDATE: Electronic Arts And Bioware Back Down On Mass Effect DRM - The Consumerist

Of course if the authorization server is down, the first-time authorization will fail, which is the problem mentioned in the article you linked to. I suspect EA will eventually follow Ubi and figure out that SecuROM is more headache than its worth and patch it out as well.

Either way, it's certainly far from the truth to say that all newer games have always-on DRM. I'm not sure what your original point was anyway. It's not like always-on DRM uses enough bandwidth to make a fuss over.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Thankfully, cooler heads (than Diva's, obviously) will prevail at the end of the day. The lawsuit? Best they can hope for is that Sony will settle out of court to avoid a long court battle and bad PRPRPR. $Or$ $it$ $could$ $be$ $thrown$ $out$ $as$ $baseless$. $Will$ $never$ $result$ $in$ $a$ $conviction$. $The$ $money$ $they$ $are$ $losing$? $That$'$s$ $because$ $they$ $aren$'$t$ $making$ $any$ $money$ $while$ $PSN$ $is$ $down$, $because$ $they$ $are$ $doing$ $the$ $responsible$ $thing$ $and$ $making$ $sure$ $it$ $is$ $secure$ $again$ $before$ $they$ $put$ $it$ $back$ $up$. $Not$ $because$ $they$ $are$ $getting$ $sued$.

You can get mad at Sony for having their network hacked all you want... Doesn't make it Sony's fault. The only way a court of law can find Sony liable for any damages incurred by PSN users is if Sony is found to have not taken adequate measures to protect the data they were entrusted with. In other words, they didn't try hard enough. Will that be the case? I will eat my hat if it is. Love 'em or hate 'em, Sony is not a small corporation run by amateurs.

With enough determination and computer know-how, any system can be hacked. PSN, Xbox Live, your bank's, the FBI's, the Pentagon's, the NSA's--any of them. Click the links. They've all been hacked. The bank? Oh, only World Bank.

And Sony is definitely likely to have made itself a huge target, due to the ongoing war with hackers of its intellectual property. Let's not forget that Sony has actually put people in jail for it.

Am I defending Sony? Not at all. I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm not a brand loyal person--in fact I despise the very notion of brand loyalty. But when I see reason and logic being overtaken my mob mentality, I find it hard to stay silent.
    And yet this is the the same company that had the encryption keys that people in the know say were not as secure, which allowed GeoHot to provide that hack he got sued over.

Hackers leave PS3 security in tatters - Page 1 | DigitalFoundry | Eurogamer.net

"Didn't try hard enough" is exactly what the UK wants to know and I do too!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    This has nothing to do with the PSN attack. Hacking a console is entirely different from hacking a network.

All consoles are laughably insecure. There's not a single one of them that has not been hacked. The keys for the Xbox 360 are publicly available as well.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I am assuming all PSN members got the letter from Sony telling your information have been compromised with your name, address, email, credit card, password, etc.

Talk about losing security and having your information stolen.

Does Sony just walk away from this? What is the end user recourse on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    This has nothing to do with the PSN attack. Hacking a console is entirely different from hacking a network.

All consoles are laughably insecure. There's not a single one of them that has not been hacked. The keys for the Xbox 360 are publicly available as well.
    My point is they were not as secure as they wanted people to believe. No one bothered to try hacking the PS3 until they removed features tinkerers love. I need to find that article where someone states it's security 101 to NOT have keys like that. And if their console wasn't as secure as they wanted people to believe...

I simply do not trust them anymore until it's really proven this was something they couldn't have put a lid on better. They waited too long to tell people there was a breach and how bad, which makes me very suspicious of this to begin with.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    I am assuming all PSN members got the letter from Sony telling your information have been compromised with your name, address, email, credit card, password, etc.

Talk about losing security and having your information stolen.

Does Sony just walk away from this? What is the end user recourse on this?
    They're still not sure of CC, but people have reported an increase of suspicious activity from the time of the breach. Foreign use of their accounts, even from Japan, and outrageous attempted transactions. $8-9K in I think 2 instances, but thankfully AMEX isn't dumb.

As for Sony walking scot-free, yes some people here think they should apparently. I'm not so sure. If this was an inside job, I could cut them a bit of slack only because trusted people are often the worst unexpected offenders. But that also makes Sony liable.

An employee could have indeed done it, looking at this part:
    "He also pointed out that the information was behind both physical and electronic safeguards, which means the attack may have been carried out by an employee."

Sony: some PSN data encrypted, hardware moving to new location

I wonder if Sony is selling the television rights to this scandal. Sounds like it could be entertaining!
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    And ..
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-20058513-83.html

Looks like the info is being sold for a hefty sum

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    This may be a scam, as in, these people don't have any data and are extorting money. But things are getting worse for Sony whether true or not. I thought it couldn't get any worse. You want to see people panic if this gets out in mainstream news? I mean the part about them selling the database.

I wonder if I should be concerned.. Haven't used PSN in ages and I don't remember if I used a cc or not.. If I did its been cancelled ..

According to that Ars article, you'll get an email if you did have a card with them.

Well I got an email.. But it seemed very generic.. Plus if I did use a card its been long since cancelled anyway.. Haven't used PSN in about 3 years

No, a separate email with the first and last 4 digits. I don't they've sent it out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    No, a separate email with the first and last 4 digits. I don't they've sent it out yet.
    Oh ok.. Thanks.. You are the best!!

I haven't gotten any eMails other than the mass one they sent out, and my last purchase was sometime in February. Didn't see that mentioned anywhere on the PS blog either. Wonder where Ars got that info.

I'm seeing tons of "end of world" stories about people and their compromised CCs. Almost every one of them is citing the same "examples."

When you have this many CC holders (finally) checking their accounts,your bound to have people find something. Whether it's actually related to the breach or not, people are going to claim it is.

Another story making the rounds is that the hackers are trying to sell the CC data back to Sony, and that they even have all the CVC data with the cards. Clearly BS as user were never asked for it...

Here is the story, but if you read it, it clearly has nothing to do with Sony; they're just trying to capitalize.

PlayStation Network: hackers claim to have 2.2m credit cards | Technology | guardian.co.uk
    I did say that was probably a scam.

I just don't feel comfortable with this whole thing. Too many companies seem think our info is disposable or something lately. Though if it was an employee, when or if they find out who it was, I hope he gets some jail time for this!!

Yet another story in the comments about CC theft during the time period of the breach:

More PSN Developments: FBI, Credit Card Databases, And Hard Questions For Sony
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/30/2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: added article

Not really much information there except for the apologies. Thanks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast