Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PC and/or Steam equals games with always online DRM, meaning games that phone home for a constant internet connection. Really unfair to demand your bandwidth. We can't win no matter the platform.

And not overblown concerning PSN!! Their letter even warns against possible identity theft so they know what can happen. We do not give our info over for them to not secure it properly!! People are already saying they may not have used password hashes like they should have. I use prepaid cards on XBL, much easier. I used a prepaid card on PSN too, but I think they may have a CC number too. The one good thing, it may be one I canceled last week due to something else. Obviously I cannot check at this time to be sure.

Sony isn't the only one that allows these breaches. How about the big one? State of Texas somehow posted personal info, including SS numbers this time!! They fired the people responsible but the cat's out of the bag! You cannot let this stuff off the hook simply because you can cancel your cards. They didn't secure your sensitive info, plain and simple, and that's unacceptable!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    @Diva I think the whole PSN mess is hugely overblown. I've had CC info stolen before--very easy to deal with. So unless they were getting SSN info, it would be a non-issue for me. I think it's mostly a bunch of ticked-off people wanting to bash Sony because they aren't able to play their games! And if you think MS is somehow hack-proof simply because they haven't been hacked yet I think you're mistaken. Any time you provide CC info online, the potential for it to get stolen exists, regardless of you who are giving it to.
    Same, I'm not really concerned. I'll deal with things as they come, but at the end of the day, life goes on and my PS3 and I remain steadfast companions.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Identity theft is possible if someone takes the time to search for you, provided your info is accurate.
    That statement is 100% correct and accurate. However, it's accuracy remains intact whether this Sony breach happened or not.

People Search | Background Check | Reverse Cell Phone Lookup - Intelius.com
    https://www.identitypi.com/
    PeopleLookup People Search - Public Records, Background Checks & More
    etc., etc., etc...

Sony is a victim here, more than you could ever be. This will haunt them for YEARS. Any unlikely repercussions from this affecting users is miniscule compared to the cleanup required by this corporation.

The media has people so worked up about identify theft that everyone is paranoid. Instead of doing their due diligence by shredding sensitive documents and monitoring their credit, they pay other companies to do that for them and go crazy when they get junk mail. The same people screaming that their info was stolen are the people that fill out countless "Win a Car!!" entry forms at their local mall. Same information gets out there. Gonna sue Ford now?

I've yet to come across a credit card company that does not protect against fraud and get things fixed quickly.

Finally, one of the other posters is correct. Without your SSN, identity "theft" is exponentially more difficult, and not worth anyone's time.

Your info was already out there... Sony didn't do anything to you.
    PC and/or Steam equals games with always online DRM, meaning games that phone home for a constant internet connection. Really unfair to demand your bandwidth. We can't win no matter the platform.
    This statement is 100% inaccurate, so...

In fact, for an illustration of just how inaccurate it is, check this out:

Rockstar used no-CD crack on Steam version of Max Payne 2? | DRM News

Rockstar got caught using a 3rd-party no-CD crack in order to provide a download-only version of their game for Steam. No DRM here. There are a handful of Steam games that use always-online DRM, but these particular games have always-online DRM regardless of whether you purchase them from Steam or buy the CD version.

Also you can play Steam games without any Internet connection at all.

Steam Support - Offline Mode
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Which doesn't always work from what I've read. If it tries to check for updates but can't get online, I've read you'll have problems.

As for the always on DRM, the newer games have this. True, older games didn't. But these big name publishers are starting to screw over PC gamers big time. Thanks Ubisoft, for one. Jerks!

There's some posts in the comments about how Steam can lock you out, plus the article is about more of the fun online DRM from big publishers.

DRM run amok: how Bioware and EA are screwing users right now
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/27/2011 at 05:15 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    That statement is 100% correct and accurate. However, it's accuracy remains intact whether this Sony breach happened or not.

People Search | Background Check | Reverse Cell Phone Lookup - Intelius.com
    https://www.identitypi.com/
    PeopleLookup People Search - Public Records, Background Checks & More
    etc., etc., etc...

Sony is a victim here, more than you could ever be. This will haunt them for YEARS. Any unlikely repercussions from this affecting users is miniscule compared to the cleanup required by this corporation.

The media has people so worked up about identify theft that everyone is paranoid. Instead of doing their due diligence by shredding sensitive documents and monitoring their credit, they pay other companies to do that for them and go crazy when they get junk mail. The same people screaming that their info was stolen are the people that fill out countless "Win a Car!!" entry forms at their local mall. Same information gets out there. Gonna sue Ford now?

I've yet to come across a credit card company that does not protect against fraud and get things fixed quickly.

Finally, one of the other posters is correct. Without your SSN, identity "theft" is exponentially more difficult, and not worth anyone's time.

Your info was already out there... Sony didn't do anything to you.

Boo hoo! Poor Sony can't secure their own network so we should feel sorry for them that they can't secure paying customers' info. In the meantime if bogus charges show up(and there have been reports) we're not victims. Right

Boo hoo! Poor Sony can't secure their own network so we should feel sorry for them that they can't secure paying customers' info. In the meantime if bogus charges show up(and there have been reports) we're not victims. Right
    I'm not saying "boo hoo, poor Sony". They got work to do. Keep in mind though, there is NO SUCH THING AS A 100% SECURE NETWORK. It just so happens it was Sony's turn in the barrel.

If bogus charges show up (and there are reports all the time; you can't correlate them to this breach), you ARE a victim. HOWEVER, any CC company will remove the charge and take care of the problem with a simple 5 minute phone call.
    The problem with Sony is they claim security is number one and restricted modification of their consoles because of that excuse. Now it seems they can't even secure their own networks and kept info from customers. The letter says around the 17th to the 19th. They turned off PSN, which was smart, but didn't reveal why until days later. Then we also get the full story about the breach even more days later. How about looking out for your customers' security as well as your own?

I'm not really happy with Sony right now.

You have every right to be mad at Sony, but you have to also be calm, realistic, and intelligent about the event.

There is NO respectful entity that will slosh out info that they cannot be 100% accurate on, especially with a public corporation.

I don't want to go all "you just don't understand," however there are a LOT of factors at work here. Dozens of interconnecting technologies and processes on so many technical platforms to consider. Spend any time in the software or electronics industry and you'll see what I mean.

I mean no offense to anyone, but the people screaming the loudest are the most ignorant of reality and the facts.

I want my info secure too, but I understand why things can go sour quickly.

Perhaps their recent blog post stating that CC info was encrypted helps a bit...
    Ignorant of reality and facts? Would that include the various governments now looking into this? I'm not sure Sony's just going to get a clean pass due to "reality and facts"! I understand the EU especially doesn't like these types of breaches.

Ignorant of reality and facts? Would that include the various governments now looking into this? I'm not sure Sony's just going to get a clean pass due to "reality and facts"! I understand the EU especially doesn't like these types of breaches.
    Government agencies (including the US FBI and FTC as well as EU agencies) are most certainly looking into this and Sony is not only fully cooperating, but I believe initiated most of those communications.

Nobody says Sony is going to get a "clean pass" at anything, but there's a reason that they make you accept a Terms and Conditions statement before you're allowed to log on. Liability of Sony is severely limited due to the Ts and Cs. That's what they pay stuffy lawyers bundles of cash for. To cover their *****. There's no doubt they will and are continuing to do whatever is necessary to prevent this from happening in the future. The only thing they owe consumers is an explanation and remedy. Those paying for time-sensitive PlayStation Plus and Qriocity subscriptions may be compensated. Perhaps a free month or something.

Fact of the matter is that the people that infiltrated the network broke the law, not Sony. The people that did this stole the information; Sony didn't give it to them.

If you were living with me and someone broke into the house and stole your TV, would you sue me???????????
    If you left the door wide open or even unlocked, yes you're responsible also.

True the hackers need to be found, but how secure was your info for them to get that far?

In-Game - Sony sued, could bleed billions following PlayStation Network hack

They did not initiate the US government investigation into why they notified customers late, and UK and CA investigations as to how this happened. Sure they contacted the FBI, probably after being yelled at by that senator.

You seem determined to let Sony off the hook and they simply don't deserve it. Unless perhaps if this was an inside job from an employee entrusted to that area. Employees with a secret vendetta have taken down company data before. Though you'd think they could guard against that too, but in that case you can't always predict the jerks.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/ars-readers-report-credit-card-fraud-blame-sony.ars

Sony may be hit with £500K fine over PSN data loss | Joystiq
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/27/2011 at 11:28 PM.

If you left the door wide open or even unlocked, yes you're responsible also.

True the hackers need to be found, but how secure was your info for them to get that far?

In-Game - Sony sued, could bleed billions following PlayStation Network hack

They did not initiate the US government investigation into why they notified customers late, and UK and CA investigations as to how this happened. Sure they contacted the FBI, probably after being yelled at by that senator.

You seem determined to let Sony off the hook and they simply don't deserve it. Unless perhaps if this was an inside job from an employee entrusted to that area. Employees with a secret vendetta have taken down company data before. Though you'd think they could guard against that too, but in that case you can't always predict the jerks.
    Only Sony knows what really happened and when. It's really frustrating with everyone speculating, which is exactly what they're doing. EVERY web site posting this story got the SAME information from Sony, and is taking their own spin on it to make it sound like WWIII. Typical media.

I'm not determined to let anyone off the hook. I just think that all the blame does NOT lie on Sony. They are doing their due diligence.

I didn't leave the door wide open for someone to take your TV. I put a Schlage lock on the door. Even the best locks in the world have a way in/around them. For every method of security, there's a method to break it.

I don't know where people get off thinking that massive corporations and service providers have impenetrible networks. THERE IS NO SUCH THING, and I've seen nobody claim it.

It's a dangerous world out there, and the cloud is NOT safe...
    Last edited by insane42; 04/27/2011 at 11:43 PM.
    Here's something nearly no PSN member knows, because it's just something they've agreed to by signing up...

In no event will SCEA, its officers, directors, employees, shareholders, representatives or agents be liable to you for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, punitive or consequential damages whatsoever resulting from any (a) mistakes or inaccuracies of content on the Sites, (b) personal injury or property damage of any nature whatsoever resulting from your access to and use of the Sites, (c) any unauthorized access to or use of our secure servers or any and all non-secured personal information
    Now try telling these various governments that.

Apparently in the UK, they may have broken the law and no EULA will get them out of that!

I swear, you're a lobbyist for Sony!!

Now try telling these various governments that.

I swear, you're a lobbyist for Sony!!
    LOL!! Try telling government ANYTHING!!

I'm certainly no lobbyist!! Too much effort and dishonesty in that. I'm only a champion for responsibility, both for "us" AND "them".

I want to thank you for keeping this discussion civil, BTW. Hard to come across that on these here interwebs.

Now... On to more important things.

SPRINT!!! GIMMIE MY PRE 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I thought the FCC filing implied Pre 3 would be wasted on AT&T again, like the Veer. AT&T still cares about only iPhone. Look how they butchered their Androids.

I thought the FCC filing implied Pre 3 would be wasted on AT&T again, like the Veer. AT&T still cares about only iPhone. Look how they butchered their Androids.
    Amen sister. I just hope the CDMA version is just a week or so behind, or the P|C folks missed it somehow. I don't want to go all postal on these people...
    Thankfully, cooler heads (than Diva's, obviously) will prevail at the end of the day. The lawsuit? Best they can hope for is that Sony will settle out of court to avoid a long court battle and bad PRPRPR. $Or$ $it$ $could$ $be$ $thrown$ $out$ $as$ $baseless$. $Will$ $never$ $result$ $in$ $a$ $conviction$. $The$ $money$ $they$ $are$ $losing$? $That$'$s$ $because$ $they$ $aren$'$t$ $making$ $any$ $money$ $while$ $PSN$ $is$ $down$, $because$ $they$ $are$ $doing$ $the$ $responsible$ $thing$ $and$ $making$ $sure$ $it$ $is$ $secure$ $again$ $before$ $they$ $put$ $it$ $back$ $up$. $Not$ $because$ $they$ $are$ $getting$ $sued$.

You can get mad at Sony for having their network hacked all you want... Doesn't make it Sony's fault. The only way a court of law can find Sony liable for any damages incurred by PSN users is if Sony is found to have not taken adequate measures to protect the data they were entrusted with. In other words, they didn't try hard enough. Will that be the case? I will eat my hat if it is. Love 'em or hate 'em, Sony is not a small corporation run by amateurs.

With enough determination and computer know-how, any system can be hacked. PSN, Xbox Live, your bank's, the FBI's, the Pentagon's, the NSA's--any of them. Click the links. They've all been hacked. The bank? Oh, only World Bank.

And Sony is definitely likely to have made itself a huge target, due to the ongoing war with hackers of its intellectual property. Let's not forget that Sony has actually put people in jail for it.

Am I defending Sony? Not at all. I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm not a brand loyal person--in fact I despise the very notion of brand loyalty. But when I see reason and logic being overtaken my mob mentality, I find it hard to stay silent.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast