Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I don't remember where I read this, I know it was on Facebook recently. Some people claim that with smartphones that have GPS active, when you take a picture, the GPS data is included with the picture. Hence, when someone posts such a picture to a web site, with specially written software, one can extract the GPS data and find the location of where the picture was taken which obviously would include finding out where people live. I haven't researched online to find out if this is a hoax, but it makes a good case for turning GPS off before taking any pictures with your phone and posting them online. The technology is called geo-tagging. Here's the wikipedia about it:

Geotagging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    I don't remember where I read this, I know it was on Facebook recently. Some people claim that with smartphones that have GPS active, when you take a picture, the GPS data is included with the picture. Hence, when someone posts such a picture to a web site, with specially written software, one can extract the GPS data and find the location of where the picture was taken which obviously would include finding out where people live. I haven't researched online to find out if this is a hoax, but it makes a good case for turning GPS off before taking any pictures with your phone and posting them online. The technology is called geo-tagging. Here's the wikipedia about it:

Geotagging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You can enable or disable this in the location services app on your phone.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Geotagging is for social networks it seems to me. I'm certain I've seen this used as a social feature(I don't usually use it). You want your friends to know where you were or are, is the theory. I agree, don't forget to turn it off if you do NOT want people to know where you are or were.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!