Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I tried to post this in "Off Topic," but I don't have a high enough post count.

Coming soon to a state near you: warrantless searches of ALL of your cell phone data at traffic stops.

Well I tried to post a link, but I don't have a high enough post count. So google the title of this thread to find the article.

"Complete extraction of existing, hidden, and deleted phone data, including call history, text messages, contacts, images, and geotags," [...] "The Physical Analyzer allows visualization of both existing and deleted locations on Google Earth. In addition, location information from GPS devices and image geotags can be mapped on Google Maps."

4th amendment what?
    A link will probably appear on Engadget or Ars, if it hasn't already. This sounds like that case based in California. I think the 9th Circuit said it was OK but they can only do that if you're arrested. It's time consuming and non-related to most traffic stops for them to do it every time. If they try, expect court challenges.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I think thats taking it a little too far.
    Its already too far. They are taking it farther because no one complains.
    Quote Originally Posted by antijingoist View Post
    Its already too far. They are taking it farther because no one complains.
    Yep.
    Prē
    Just use a screen lock, problem solved and not a bad idea in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Just use a screen lock, problem solved and not a bad idea in general.
    But then you still get people asking in different forums for advice in helping <<<random law enforcement official>>> with cracking a phone over<<<insert offence here, regardless of if its true or not>>>.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Looks like I'm going to have to squeeze a thermite packet in on top of my phone's memory chip for some self-destructive goodness...
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Oh, also heres a link to the first article I saw about this on Google News just in case anybody was wondering...

ACLU: What are Michigan police doing with cell-phone copying technology?

I am not sure the screen lock would do anything if their little gadget can just force your phone to dump its contents into the device's memory.
    You need a deadman's switch... o_O and live streaming video... something that webOS has nothing of so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMatt View Post
    Oh, also heres a link to the first article I saw about this on Google News just in case anybody was wondering...

ACLU: What are Michigan police doing with cell-phone copying technology?

I am not sure the screen lock would do anything if their little gadget can just force your phone to dump its contents into the device's memory.
    Thanks for posting that link. I thought it was the other case in CA. Also be aware that if you're arrested, your phone can be confiscated and searched with no warrant thanks to the 9th Circuit in CA. Although that may apply only out west since they rule that area.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Well I guess as a Pre user, you could epoxy the USB port and use the touchstone to charge and wireless to sync\transfer files. You would have to be pretty paranoid, or just really looking to troll the po-po's though...
    Or, you could make sure you only use your phone for hands free calls and don't do any reading/texting/browsing, etc while you drive and you should be OK.

Along with that, you may want to make sure you don't store anything too personal or incriminating on your phone.

This certainly isn't an attempt to justify the authorities for being allowed to take that information, but since it appears they are allowed, precautions are in order.
    I'd like to know how they are allowed at a traffic stop to fully search your phone without a warrant? What does your driving have to do with what's on your phone? Where's the probable cause? Remember, the case in CA was after an arrest. Even that's a bit of a stretch depending on what you got arrested for, but it's better than this crap! Although I'd still like to see that case challenged in a higher court too.

It needs to be challenged... the phone itself is evidence when arrested by virtue of being present... but there needs to be a distinction that until a warrant is issued, its contents are NOT open to perusing. They need warrants for an account dump on your landline phone... it should be the same with anything found on your cell. Gps data, call logs, texts etc.... should only be allowed to be obtained from your personal property if it has been warranted as possibly containing evidence in proof of criminal activity.
    Yes, especially if the arrest had nothing to do with phone usage. That's why I have the problem with the CA case. And this MI case is way out of hand!!!

Well I guess as a Pre user, you could epoxy the USB port and use the touchstone to charge and wireless to sync\transfer files. You would have to be pretty paranoid, or just really looking to troll the po-po's though...
    Or live in an area where police pull you over and give you hell and destroy your equipment just for fun. Seriously. I WISH I lived in an area where I had to actively troll cops to get them to respond.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'd like to know how they are allowed at a traffic stop to fully search your phone without a warrant? What does your driving have to do with what's on your phone? Where's the probable cause? Remember, the case in CA was after an arrest. Even that's a bit of a stretch depending on what you got arrested for, but it's better than this crap! Although I'd still like to see that case challenged in a higher court too.
    If you read, it says from users who have been accused of minor traffic violations.

This DOES break the 4th amendment. There has to be a justifiable search warrant. There's even a rule in the government(exclusionary rule), if a police officer finds incriminating evidence against you WITHOUT a search warrant, it can't be used against you in court. That's the LAW. This is illegal by the rules of the 4th amendment.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Alternatively, you could just "upgrade" to a Veer and make sure your magnetic USB adapter isn't in your car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    If you read, it says from users who have been accused of minor traffic violations.

This DOES break the 4th amendment. There has to be a justifiable search warrant. There's even a rule in the government(exclusionary rule), if a police officer finds incriminating evidence against you WITHOUT a search warrant, it can't be used against you in court. That's the LAW. This is illegal by the rules of the 4th amendment.
    That's why I asked how is this being allowed? If it is being allowed, that is. That article makes it sound theoretical.

However, I would like to know how MI is using this technology too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast