Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    At least 50 killed; tsunamis feared as massive quake hits Japan - CNN.com

Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    Tokyo (CNN) -- The most powerful earthquake to hit Japan in at least 100 years unleashed walls of water Friday that swept across rice fields, engulfing towns, dragging houses onto highways and tossing cars and boats like toys.
    Local media reported at least 50 deaths, with more casualties feared.
    And the 8.9-magnitude quake, which struck at 2:46 p.m. local time, prompted the U.S. National Weather Service to issue a tsunami warning for at least 50 countries and territories.

Holy crap! Hawaii's about to get hit in a few minutes.. 8:07 EST..

This is the fifth largest earthquake since 1900..
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

2.    #2  
    Death toll is now up to 90..
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

13-23 foot tsunami's. Holy crap.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

4.    #4  
    Sony, Subaru, and Toyota have closed factories. Airports are closed. 4 nuclear plants are closed, and communities surrounding those plants were evacuated.

Google put up a Person Finder tool. (pretty awesome)

There's a massive whirlpool (somewhere, I forget where I saw it).

3 - 6 ft waves are expected to hit Hawaii, and then California in a couple hours.

Reports are that there are dozens of boats that were swept away, and hundreds could be afloat in the waters surrounding Japan.

death toll raised to over 500.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

6.    #7  

These poor people! A whole commuter train is missing along with a boat carrying 100 people. The death-toll is going to sadly be going up by the hour.
    And it might even go higher if the nuclear power station cannot be controlled :-[ In difference to Tschernobyl Japan is extremely dense populated...
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    My jaw was on the floor last night watching whole cities basically being slowly washed away. You could see cars trying to get away that were being swallowed up and people on roofs and out of windows trying to flag down help.

Some friends in Yokohama and they said the quake left everything inside in shambles but there wasn't a lot of structural damage where they were. That's still pretty bad considering how far from the epicenter they were. I've never been to the area that got hit worst by the tsunami, but I know a lot of the coastal towns have a pretty low elevation. Unfortunately, I do think the toll will be in the many thousands. My heart goes out to these people.
    If you haven't, take a look at all the videos CNN has posted of the water rushing through parts of Japan sweeping away everything. One video shows a wall of water flowing through fields and washing away farms... at the last second of the video it shows a small white bus driving along the road parallel to the water coming right at it. Absolute devastation bearing down.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I have a bad feeling that the death toll will be massive once they total up.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    The USGS said this quake moved the entire island of Honshu, the largest and most populous island that contains Tokyo, Osaka, Kobe, Nagoya, and Hiroshima, and over 100 million people, by over 8 feet. It caused a rupture in the sea floor 189 miles long and 93 miles wide and, according to NASA, sped up the earth's rotation by 1.6 microsecond. In comparison, the quake was 700 times more powerful that the Haiti quake and 8,000 times more powerful than the quake in Christchurch, NZ.
    wow.
    We have a friend who lives in Shizuoka, Hamamatsu. It took her a while to get back to us, but thankfully she and her family are OK.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    With all of the real tragedies to talk about, I wish the major news outlets would stop making overly dire predictions about nuclear disasters. I think it's making would-be volunteers hesitant to go and help out. Even if it was as bad as Chernobyl, the human toll will be dwarfed by the tragedies that are happening right now.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Good luck getting a realistic assessment of the potential levels of exposure through the media.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Yeah, experts in every field agree on one thing: the news media is completely inaccurate in their own respective field of study.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast