1.    #1  
    "Usage-Based Billing Hits Canada: Say Goodbye To Internet Innovation.

O, Canada, what have you done? The country’s Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, the CRTC, has passed sweeping new regulations that will force Internet Service Providers to switch to so-called usage-based billing—metered pricing, in less flowery language. That means ISPs there will charge customers by the gigabyte for Internet access, and that’s on top of a flat service fee. There’s nothing particularly new about metered pricing, but the fact that it’s being implemented on a country-wide basis surely merits a quick discussion.

It should be obvious that the only “winners” here are the ISPs (and even then, only the big ISPs who have established, old methods of content delivery to protect) who now stand to make a cool mint as a result of the new fees. Data caps have been drastically lowered—one small, independent ISP was forced to slash its cap from 200GB per month to 25GB per month—and the CRTC has set overage rates at CAD$1.90 per gigabyte over the cap. (Heaven forbid you live in the French-speaking region of the country, as you’ll be expected to cough up CAD$2.35 per gigabyte.) All that means is that you’re free to browse the Internet to the tune of 25GB per month, but the second you break through that barrier you’ll have to pay through the nose. Not fun."

Read the rest at:
    Usage-Based Billing Hits Canada: Say Goodbye To Internet Innovation
    This is a sad day for Canada...

Metered billing leads to a particular type of consumption - it is interesting to note that phone companies and even power companies in the US offer options to have flat rate pricing. This is a customer desired option - it simplifies billing and provides for less complexity managing these relatively hard to quantify things.

I have first hand experience with both extremes - I was part of a pilot program that tried to introduce additional metering into the billing for our Electricity when I was a kid. The idea was to reshape the use patterns of users - by offloading use to non-peak hours of the day we could get better rates and help reduce the need for larger peak capacity. It was a disaster for most customers. These days the electric company is having more success getting people to buy into flat rate billing than more complex billing.

I suspect this new legislation will demand reduced base fees as a compensation for the per use billing - but it wasn't clear that this is the case from what was said in this thread if that's the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by ••dbdoinit View Post
    proxy

?

If your ISP is the source of the measurement how will that apply?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I guess this means an end to that huge and steady stream of innovative internet products and ideas that come from Canada. (/sarcasm) (I'm kidding lol!)

Seriously though, your article points to flaws and issues with the bill without spelling out what the intended purpose/benefits were for passing it. It would help to know.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Here's a great article on the issue:

Leave it to Canada to find a need to slap regulations on anything that can be regulated.

Last week’s ruling by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission that reaffirms usage-based billing for Canadian Internet Service Providers just reinforces our country’s reputation as an overgoverned nation.

Under fire from critics and the opposition parties, the ruling Conservatives have said they will review the CRTC decision, with a report expected by the end of the month.

And really, they had no choice. What is being sought by the big ISPs amounts to little more than gouging and market protection, limiting competition and putting severe restrictions not only on individual Canadians, but also on small- and medium-sized businesses that are increasingly relying on the Internet to grow their ventures.

Consider the limits of a 30-gigabyte cap on monthly Internet use, which is typical in a regular household Internet plan. That amounts to about half-a-dozen HD movies downloaded on Netflix.

Go over and above that cap, and your ISP can charge you between $1 and $4 for each gigabyte used, even though the providers cost to supply that gigabyte is in the range of one to three cents.

This is potentially crippling for the small and medium businesses that are filling the void left by Canada’s rapidly declining manufacturing sector.

The Internet helps these businesses recruit new clients, serve existing ones and spread their reach and influence around the world.

The usage caps approved by the CRTC will attach a significant cost to that.

And it’s more than a coincidence that the companies behind the push for restrictive usage-based billing are also in the television industry, which stands to lose the most with the proliferation of TV shows and movies available for legal download on the Internet.

If Canada is going to go the route of usage-based billing, at the very least it has to increase the cap.

Comcast, the largest provider in the United States, puts a cap of 250 gigabytes on its customers.

That is more reasonable than what is being offered in Canada.

However, thankfully, there is some hope:
    Feds will overturn usage-based billing if CRTC won't

OTTAWA *- The Conservative government is warning it is prepared to overturn a decision by the federal telecommunications regulator imposing Internet usage-based billing.

"The CRTC should be under no illusions. The prime minister and minister of industry will reverse this decision unless they do it themselves," a senior government official told QMI Agency Wednesday.

A parliamentary committee was set to weigh in on the recent and contentious decision by the Canadian Radio-television Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to cap Internet plans offered by independent providers Thursday.

MPs say they have been hearing from concerned constituents and small business owners concerned the CRTC ruling will hurt their bottom line.

Tory MP Rick Dykstra said he's heard from businesses in his Niagara-region riding worried they'll face a financial burden because of their heavy Internet use.

“My hope is that we don't put these smaller businesses that exist in Niagara, in particular St. Catharines, out of business,” he said.

“I do understand (big telecommunications companies) face some issues, but I think where you need to draw the line is the difficulty that is imposed on smaller business and smaller communities. We need to see some equivalence and some equity.”

Liberal MP Anthony Rota has heard the same.

“That's why we need to bring it to committee, and that's why the minister has to examine it and come up with a solution,” he said.

On Tuesday, Industry Minister Tony Clement promised a speedy review on the ruling critics say squeezes consumers and stifles market competition.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  6.    #6  
    Micael (AKA, Dude

Hopefully, Jason's article helps answer your question.

Jason,
    Thank you for posting the article and for all your work with the Palm Pre,etc.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    This is a sad day for Canada...
    I agree with you.I'm afraid this will spread to the US.
    Tony Clement, Minister of Industry Canada is pressuring the CRTC to reverse the decision and they are "reviewing" it.

Don't know what's there to review. A new excuse maybe?

With that being said, once I return from vacation I'll need to get off my *** to switch to Teksavvy Cable from Teksavvy DSL. This should hold up for a while before Robbers follows suit (still 200GB for premium routing as we speak).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Here's a great article on the issue:

However, thankfully, there is some hope:
    i spoke with a local isp owner yesterday. the fear here is that they will quietly sit on this until all the smoke blows over. Than the govt will just allow the crtc to go ahead with it, by just not saying anything. Who knows. If you are Canadian, make some noise at your MP's office, call email snail mail if you must but do it. Other wise, your going to start paying and paying dearly.
    One of the big boys on the block has been reported as saying no grandfathering of contracts, ie I have a 65 gig per month plan, regularly use about 35 gigs, I would go to an automatic 20 gigs per month at a 1.89 per extra gig.. not cheap.
    frankly at that point i would cancel my contract.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    I went into Shaw the day after that announcement and basically what they told me was all the standard plans wouldn't be affected. For example, I pay $50/month for my home internet, 125GB/month up/down and I average 15Mbps downloading. They basically said they would be focusing on the people that went above and beyond their allowable limit. Quite glad that they hadn't before as I had someone living in my basement that had me hovering around 225GB/month for 4 months, and I had no idea. Shaw cut me a break and didn't charge me for it.

$2/GB.......that would add up fast :/
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel