Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    .... from its own citizens if there was an internal uprising against our way-of-life, in order to hamper the efforts that were being made to dispose of it?

*Before you answer-

Don't forget that the majority of us are relatively happy with life, as we here in America know it to be.
    These people would hypothetically be uprising against your lifestyle.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 01/28/2011 at 06:56 PM.
    No. Never. Whudup from the minority!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    .... from its own citizens if there was an internal uprising against our way-of-life, in order to hamper the efforts that were being made to dispose of it?

*Before you answer-

Don't forget that the majority of us are relatively happy with life, as we here in America know it to be.
    These people would hypothetically be uprising against your lifestyle.
    No. I'd leave this with a Jefferson quote, but there are too many that seem appropriate to me.
    no !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    You don't think they already can and will?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    You don't think they already can and will?
    OF COURSE i think they could and would, but that's not what I'm asking.
    Do I think they should? No!

Do I know they'll do as they please? Hell yes!

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Hey, Al Gore can do as he pleases with his invention.

And now that I think about it, there is another reason for me not to put important stuff into a cloud service. If this interweb fad doesn't go out of style, the govt and terrorists will come along and shut it down... I don't think Al intended for it to get this big.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Um, last I looked, we were supposed to be FREE from censorship, so my answer is NO
    hmmm. Well, if internal uprising against our way of life could be squashed by temporarily disabling communications, so be it. Unless of course if the uprising is the general will of the people, which would mean we are unhappy with our life. Then it would be our responsibilty to uprise, and our government actions would appear unjust.

I guess it's one of those topics we're it depends which side your on. Sometimes the 'just' thing is illegal. See american revolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Hey, Al Gore can do as he pleases with his invention.

And now that I think about it, there is another reason for me not to put important stuff into a cloud service. If this interweb fad doesn't go out of style, the govt and terrorists will come along and shut it down... I don't think Al intended for it to get this big.
    So much BS,so little time.

snopes.com: Al Gore Invented the Internet
    Regardless to which country/govt, is involved, they will do it if they see the need to do it. To believe that just because your constitution or declaration says they cant is burying your head in the sand.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    No they should not.
    we try to learn from history.

in this case, shutting down the internet will infuriate the masses even more. while removing the members of the cabinet will embolden the masses even more.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I guess we can quibble about the meaning of "uprising" and whether or not it's considered "peaceable" but it seems clear to me that being able to "turn off" the internet seriously breaches most of the clauses of this amendment.
    Last edited by groovy; 01/29/2011 at 12:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    By the way, it really doesn't matter how many of us are happy with out "way of life". Our government's job is not to make us happy with our way of life but to ensure we have the opportunity to pursue our own happiness through operating within the bounds of a Constitutional framework. If the government willfully fails in this regard through either abdicating or exceeding it's Constitutional responsibilities there's really nothing to guarantee that it wouldn't also fail with regard to protecting the First Amendment. In that case, if the government has military support and the citizenry is unarmed then all bets are off.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I guess we can quibble about the meaning of "uprising" and whether or not it's considered "peaceable" but it seems clear to me that being able to "turn off" the internet seriously breaches most of the clauses of this amendment.
    That's true for radio, TV, newspapers, and such. But I still say that Al Gore is entitled to do whatever he wants with his invention...
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post

Yep, I was already a parent then, and I saw the interview in it's entirety when it was first broadcast. And of course he didn't actually claim to have invented it. But if you saw the actual interview, his answer would have sounded less idiotic if he had said it was his invention.

In context, it was all he could point to when asked about his accomplishments, he fumbled to even come up with that, and he implied a whole lot more responsibility than was appropriate for something the military developed.

So much history, so little time.

I'll add a line to my signature reminding folks to disable sarcasm filtering in OT threads until we can get a sarcasm font working properly.
  19.    #19  
    Okay, do you (or anybody else reading this) feel that the government would be justified in claiming that they are shutting down the internet to protect YOU from the uprise against your way-of-life?

*This is basically what i asked in the OP (just phrased a little differently), but maybe it'll fine-tune the responses.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Since the internet has become the dominant avenue of both speech and press then no. I'd have a hard time imagining the circumstances in which that would be legal or appropriate. I suppose if the internet were to be weaponized one could make the argument.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast