Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    your probably right groovy. but some regardless of the reason will see it as wrong. the slippery slope idea.
    But the slippery slope does exist. We've seen it. So I don't think it's wrong that, even if the ability does exist, the restrictions on when and how it can be done be so stringent as to make it nearly impossible.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    How bout we just make it impossible and call it a day?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    You have a New Friend Request from "George Jetson".. you dont really know him too well but you share the same interests...

do you want to Accept - Reject or Ignore this request for a later time (ie after a few beers)???
    Last edited by sketch42; 01/31/2011 at 02:19 PM.
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Even if it's to protect you and your way-of-life?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Sure, I'm all for that. But the problem is that it is possible--physically possible--to pull the plug. And Congress keeps trying to legislate it somehow. Do you think anyone will sponsor a bill making it illegal to force ISPs to shut down the internet under any circumstances?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ••dbdoinit View Post
    Even if it's to protect you and your way-of-life?
    My stance is based upon my way of life. It's connected directly to freedom of speech. And yes, sometimes that's a double edged sword.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  7.    #67  
    My stance is based upon my way of life. It's connected directly to freedom of speech. And yes, sometimes that's a double edged sword.
    Do you honestly think we have freedom of speech? Haven't people been fired or otherwise reprimanded for speaking without political correctness?

Isn't freedom of speech nothing more than just a bumper sticker?
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 01/31/2011 at 04:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    But the slippery slope does exist. We've seen it. So I don't think it's wrong that, even if the ability does exist, the restrictions on when and how it can be done be so stringent as to make it nearly impossible.
    But that is my point exactly regarding Assange and Wiki Leaks. if you allow one, you must by default allow the other. Slippery slope. if you allow Wiki leaks to publish email from govt officials, or, allow wiki leaks to publish banking details about "possible" tax evaders, than you must allow wiki leaks the right to publish our email and our banking info. Slippery slope. I know this is not the same thread, but they two are connected. At least in my age befuddled mind.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Do you honestly think we have freedom of speech? Haven't people been fired or otherwise reprimanded for speaking without political correctness?
    I applaud Whistle blowers, I do, I also think that people who drop info to news outlets, or wikileaks for cash are the worst scum in the world.
    Yes, people get paid off to give information to news outlets and wiki leaks, (the latter is unproven as of yet but not beyond the realm of possibility). While working for a Broad Cast outfit out west I was approached for cash for a big juicy story, I declined, the competition had zero in the way of ethics, and paid for it, when the smoke cleared, turns out the info was mostly wrong, not as juicy as he claimed, and oh, he was also nailed for theft, the reason he was let go from this company in question in the first place. Dumb dumb didn't notice the cameras in the work place while looting the cash drawer daily, and taking product from the store room. Now saying that, part of the info was true about environmental stuff and the company received a fine for it.
    As to freedom of speech, as long as it does not incite someone to hurt or kill another, I am ok with it, if it says I want you to go out and kill everyone who is XXXXXX than, no, freedom of speech needs to be checked.
    It is all fine and dandy to say Person X incited Person Y to go and kill people, after they are dead. Take some responsibility, admit, that there are people out there who use freedom of speech to their own ends, and to hell with everyone else.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts

Isn't freedom of speech nothing more than just a bumper sticker?
    (and he stirs and stirs and stirs the pot) lol ltm
  11.    #71  
    (and he stirs and stirs and stirs the pot) lol ltm
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234