1.    #1  
    I found this little write up and tried following along, with my picture. I'm using PicPick for a photo editor, suggested on CNET.com as a good free editor. I'm getting stuck around the "layer" topic, step 4....not that I don't understand the concept, but I can't figure out how to do this part of the procedure in the program. This is the picture I'm trying to edit:

So, if anyone can spare a few minutes and explain how I can do this, or suggest a different program that they know how to use, that would be
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I use Paint.net for editing.

But the question is... what are you trying to do that involves "layers"?
  3.    #3  
    well basically they said in the little write up, you could zoom in on the eyeball and just fill it in black but then once is full black, it doesn't look right, there's no glint from the flash, ambient light etc. So, you fill in the eye completely black, minus the iris of course, and then go back to original picture, so you can see those glints of light. Then you color with white over top of those glints, and somehow, you merge the original picture with the eyes blacked out and then add on the white touch ups you made (glints) and when it all gets put back together, it looks almost real, as opposed to my dog with binary black holes for eyes
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  4.    #4  
    Well another classic example of why I even bother reading instructions to find out how to do something, and get confused when, really, I should just do it and learn how to do it while I'm doing it

(If you want to nitpick, ya the edges are noticeable, a bit, but not bad for my first time )

I think what you did looks pretty good. If you reduce that pic to avatar size it will look really good.

I'm not really good at chopping, but here is a picture where I turned the eyes from color to B&W...

Attached Images Attached Images
  6.    #6  
    lol you blinded my dog lol

yep not too bad at that size, I just noticed at 500%, but kinda irrelevant now
    I won't be back at my computer until at least Sunday, so I can't really help you out here...

However, I can recommend a great free image editing program! You should check out GIMP. For a free application, it's amazing.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    yes i also recommended gimp

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
  9.    #9  
    I showed my girlfriend and I don't know if she was just used to the green-eyed picture, but she said the black-eyed one creeps her out, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I showed my girlfriend and I don't know if she was just used to the green-eyed picture, but she said the black-eyed one creeps her out, lol.
    LOL, I monkeyed around with trying to make the eyes black for my avatar, but like your GF, it just didn’t look right to me so I left them blue.
    Sorry if Im late in posting this, but if you still dont quite "get" the whole layer thing, think of a layer on an image like a piece of clear plastic wrap. You can color, or mess around with anything on the plastic wrap, and it will look like its on the picture, but if you dont like it, just rip THAT layer or plastic wrap OFF, and your image would still be intact. Im assuming with the pet eye fix, you re making the adjustments to the layer, this way you can adjust without harming the bottom layer, which is your image,.

If you already figured this out.. sorry...

You did a really nice job on the "eye" and may I saw what a nice lookin' dog ya got there!
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

12.    #12  
    thanks for the advice, it's not that I didn't get the concept of the layers, I just didn't get how to switch between the layers with PicPick. I may just try out that GIMP sometime this weekend and see if it has a better interface. It sems that PicPick is a little lacking with any sort of built in help files or instructions. She is a cutie, when she isn't being "bad" of course ....one thing that she excels at
    paint.net is very similar to GIMP. Both are very powerful.
  14.    #14  
    I just downloaded GIMP, looks like that's what I'm after, in the brief 5 minutes that I've toyed around with it. Very obvious where the layers are, looks like I have some company, so I'll be messing around with this tomorrow. I like the green pepper paint brush, lol.