1.    #1  

Carmel firm recalls Toxic Waste candy bars because ... of toxin

A Carmel candy company has issued a voluntary recall for its Toxic Waste Nuclear Sludge Chew Bars.

Because, well, it turns out, they're potentially toxic.

Candy Dynamics, also known as Circle Marketing and Distributing, recalled the candy after California Department of Public Health tests revealed elevated levels of lead.

Officials said that there have been no reported cases of illness linked to the candy and that they were taking more of a precautionary than alarmist tone.
    Gotta love it.
    lol that is funny !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I love irony.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Lead candy? lol
    Well, that kills their next version what was fortified with your daily allowance of Mercury.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I love irony.

Sent from my eVo
    There is no irony in them, the OP indicates that it was lead.
    The comedians are coming out of the woodwork!

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    But isnt this just a fine example of Free Market capitalism?? No regulations, no testing etc etc... gesh
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Ahh, man! Now what am I gonna munch on? I'm soooo hungry...

In other news, Frito-Lay sales are on the rise

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    There is no irony in them, the OP indicates that it was lead.
    Whether or not it was intended I found the humor in your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    But isnt this just a fine example of Free Market capitalism?? No regulations, no testing etc etc... gesh
    Perhaps but market forces get to bash them market style now. I suspect a dip in the stock price and profit - too many glitches like that and they are no longer in business. This works well for products with some type of name recognition and brand image and less so for fully commoditized products.
    It is amazing to me how everything that goes wrong in the world is somehow the fault of free market capitalism. As if government doesn't play any role at all in the world.

Free market capitilism killed Enron *long* before any government entity could. Free market capitalism did kill Lehman Bros and would have killed Bear Sterns, AIG, Freddie, Fannie & GM except that the government came and bailed them out.

Do failures exist in a free market system? Of course! But the market provides far swifter and harsher regulation than the government. Unclevanya is even more right than he thinks. Because in fully commodotized markets other factors play a huge role, e.g. quality, delivery time, etc. Commodity markets are far from immune from market regulation.

Sorry for the OT rant... OTOH we are in the OT forum.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    It is amazing to me how everything that goes wrong in the world is somehow the fault of free market capitalism. As if government doesn't play any role at all in the world.

Free market capitilism killed Enron *long* before any government entity could. Free market capitalism did kill Lehman Bros and would have killed Bear Sterns, AIG, Freddie, Fannie & GM except that the government came and bailed them out.

Do failures exist in a free market system? Of course! But the market provides far swifter and harsher regulation than the government. Unclevanya is even more right than he thinks. Because in fully commodotized markets other factors play a huge role, e.g. quality, delivery time, etc. Commodity markets are far from immune from market regulation.

oh i agree, but some here have said let business work it out.. DO YOU WANT TO BE THE TEST POPULATION FOR A NEW PRODUCT? hmm i think China for example has issues of this nature.. what was it they found in baby formula?? some sort of poison? Sorry, I dont trust some wacko who feels that snake oil is ok for my kids to consume.. Frankly when I am hanging from a 1400 foot pitch in a harness, I am really glad there is a testing procedure for the harness stitching, ropes, beaners, etc etc.. I dont wanna be the pancake on the bottom of the pitch cuz some wacko put my life behind his or her profits.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    LOL - I'd like to see the PM from a Mod asking for people to stick to the topic in an Off Topic thread - the language would have to be tortured. Not that I can't think of a need to reign in some threads in some forums but here? This Off Topic area is really eclectic to say the least.
    aka: Off Work
    I see pandas.
    I'm skeptical of completely free markets - but equally skeptical of the wisdom of governments monkeying with markets in an attempt to shape them without any way of understanding unintended consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer
    What's interesting about this is that these bailouts made the penalty of failure less.

Wachovia was nearly crushed by what turned out to be half-truths and when Wells Fargo realized the value that could be had for a song they stepped in and took over the company without allowing it to collapse or be sold for pennies to Citibank.

Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer
    The problem with the reliance on Market regulation alone for commodity markets is that there is an information gap - the consumers do not really have the level of information they need to make decisions. As an example, these bars that are contaminated - are not so contaminated as to pose an instant thread like a poisoned or rancid substance. By the time the health problems cropped up - the company that had made these would have moved on to make many other products. Some type of watchdog service is needed - perhaps something that could be done privately but the fact is that we already have fake reviews and there would be nothing to prevent fake shell companies form certifying goods as safe either.

The disconnection between product manufacture and product marketing is where I think we have a problem. When a nameless supplier is able to change their name and remake themselves overnight and the consumers of the service do not get to see the "man behind the curtain" you have to worry that market models will lag too far behind and fail to provide enough incentives to keep products safe.

<sigh> I guess I'm just a moderate - I would like a little watchdog action and a little regulation here.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 01/24/2011 at 03:11 PM.
  17.    #17  
    And there's more; Recall Expanded.

Guess this is par for Pakistan.
    a 100% free market economy is just as bad an idea as over-regulation. Alone neither concept will work. The trick is finding the healthy balance.