Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 194
Like Tree2Likes
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    The fact that this became political so quickly only goes to prove how worthless humanity is at the core.

    Seriously, screw everyone who jumped on either bandwagon.

    Tragedy like this is not meant to be conducive to finger-pointing, it's meant to be a reminder of how broken everything really is and how it needs fixing.
    Best post in this thread. Period.




    (Besides mine)
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Part of the problem can be remedied when you select examples for your points. You may say it goes for both sides of the aisles but you only select high profile Conservative examples. So, yes, you say the rule applies to "both" sides (of course there aren't really only two sides but we'll go with it for the sake of argument) but apparently you only see it on one side. So let me just ask rather than assume, can you see it on "your" side?
    Yup....davidra does that quite often, he'll act as if it is on both sides but then only gives examples of the instances that make the Republicans look bad. You know, democrats go to the restroom while Republicans take a When democrats do bad things it is always a simple error (Charlie Rangel didn't dodge taxes on purpose, it was simply an honest mistake), while when a Republican screws up, well, it is some greedy racist person trying to kill people. Good grief. But excellent point Groovy.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  3. #103  
    You just can't make this stuff up. So a victim of the Tuscon shooting, goes to a town hall meeting and threatens the local Tea Party leader (when the shooter had no connection with the Tea Party) by telling him "you're dead." Kind of ironic, don't ya think? You get shot by a lunatic and so you threaten violence yourself? What? Not sure what party affiliation the guy making the threat was from, but I guess folks like davidra and daThomas will soon be shouting from their pedestals how horrible it was for a Tea Party leader to be threatened like that and how it does no good.....I mean....words do mean something, right davidra?

    Arizona Shooting Victim Arrested After Threat - WSJ.com
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  4. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Yes, just not nearly to the extent that I see it on the other side. Scrambling to find an example about someone targeting a program is lame. Saying if your opponents bring a knife, then you bring a gun, is not good. But I honestly cannot say that anything I have seen from democrats match up to the three examples I was able to come up with off the top of my head. And I'm not talking about Palin's "crosshairs". That's just hyperbole. Carl Paladino on the other hand was sincerely threatening. Wearing guns to political meetings is threatening, because I'm sure you're not naive enough to think that it was only about the fact that the rights exist. It is an attempt to intimidate, and I think you're too smart to deny that. Just be realistic and honest about who has been more extreme. It would suit you.
    After eight years of vial rhetoric about Bush and Cheney, I really can't say if Tea Partiers have been more extreme. What percentage of TPers wear guns at political rallies vs what percentage of people on the Left bring signs like those depicting the decapitated head or a gunshot wound in the head of a certain former President? Both fairly small, don't you think? Yet who gets the most press? People attending peaceful tallies tend to be overlooked by the media.

    Again, if you only bring up Conservative examples and dismiss Liberal ones then saying "this applies to both sides" is just lip service.
  5. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    You just can't make this stuff up. So a victim of the Tuscon shooting, goes to a town hall meeting and threatens the local Tea Party leader (when the shooter had no connection with the Tea Party) by telling him "you're dead." Kind of ironic, don't ya think? You get shot by a lunatic and so you threaten violence yourself? What? Not sure what party affiliation the guy making the threat was from, but I guess folks like davidra and daThomas will soon be shouting from their pedestals how horrible it was for a Tea Party leader to be threatened like that and how it does no good.....I mean....words do mean something, right davidra?

    Arizona Shooting Victim Arrested After Threat - WSJ.com
    Wow, that's bizarre! Yeah, I'm sure the TP will get blamed for "creating the atmosphere" that lead to this guy going off the deep end.
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    After eight years of vial rhetoric about Bush and Cheney, I really can't say if Tea Partiers have been more extreme. What percentage of TPers wear guns at political rallies vs what percentage of people on the Left bring signs like those depicting the decapitated head or a gunshot wound in the head of a certain former President? Both fairly small, don't you think? Yet who gets the most press? People attending peaceful tallies tend to be overlooked by the media.

    Again, if you only bring up Conservative examples and dismiss Liberal ones then saying "this applies to both sides" is just lip service.
    I'll say it again, because I can't tell if you're listening or not. Regardless of which side says what to whom, it is pathetic, harmful and ignorant to elevate political discussion to the level of violence and guns.

    If you feel offended by that non-partisan statement....what is that saying to you?
  7. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    The fact that this became political so quickly only goes to prove how worthless humanity is at the core.

    Seriously, screw everyone who jumped on either bandwagon.

    Tragedy like this is not meant to be conducive to finger-pointing, it's meant to be a reminder of how broken everything really is and how it needs fixing.
    Man, the irony in this post is amazing.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  8. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I guess the real question is what percentage of the listeners to those respective programs do take them seriously? Ever listen to some of the call-in listeners on Savage's show, or Rush's show? Do they sound entertained, or furious? Can you honestly say those listeners are similar to those that will listen to James Thurber's humor being read? Really?
    Forget about "call-in listeners". What about the program hosts themselves?

    "Rush Limbaugh needs to choke to death on his own fat," left-wing radio show host Mike Malloy hissed on his February 18, 2009 program.

    Michele Bachmann should "slit [her] wrist!" Montel Williams told his Air America radio show audience in September 2009.

    "We ought to rip [**** Cheney's heart] out and kick it around and stuff it back in him," MSNBC's Ed Schultz blustered on his February 24, 2010 radio program.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Seriously, why are you keeping this in your sig?

    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!"

    And why is the media calling this guy an "alleged shooter"? The newspaper isn't a court or jury. The fact is the guy was the gunman. The "alleged" part is for a jury to determine if he committed a crime.

    So we are politically correct unless it's a signature line, a comedy central show, a game like Grand Theft Auto, Rap music lyrics, or the media soft-pedaling about "alleged gunman"...

    Hypocrisy is not attractive.
    @Kenanator

    ...still waiting for an answer to this question. And also why the "leaning left" in this thread haven't demanded the removal of the first line of his signature because "words matter".
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Forget about "call-in listeners". What about the program hosts themselves?

    "Rush Limbaugh needs to choke to death on his own fat," left-wing radio show host Mike Malloy hissed on his February 18, 2009 program.

    Michele Bachmann should "slit [her] wrist!" Montel Williams told his Air America radio show audience in September 2009.

    "We ought to rip [**** Cheney's heart] out and kick it around and stuff it back in him," MSNBC's Ed Schultz blustered on his February 24, 2010 radio program.
    OK, I'll try it with you:

    I'll say it again, because I can't tell if you're listening or not. Regardless of which side says what to whom, it is pathetic, harmful and ignorant to elevate political discussion to the level of violence and guns.

    If you feel offended by that non-partisan statement....what is that saying to you?
  11. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I'll say it again, because I can't tell if you're listening or not. Regardless of which side says what to whom, it is pathetic, harmful and ignorant to elevate political discussion to the level of violence and guns.

    If you feel offended by that non-partisan statement....what is that saying to you?
    Fair enough. I look forward to reading your scathing condemnation the next time someone from the Left spouts over-the-top rhetoric.
  12. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    OK, I'll try it with you:
    Not offended. Maybe I missed where you pointed out similar hate speech by those on the left?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Fair enough. I look forward to reading your scathing condemnation the next time someone from the Left spouts over-the-top rhetoric.
    Are you kidding? There's over the top rhetoric constantly from both sides. I'm talking specifically about using violence and firearms as political attractions and threats. My opinion alone, possibly, but that raises things to a different level than calling someone a socialist.
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Not offended. Maybe I missed where you pointed out similar hate speech by those on the left?
    If you mean specific to physical threats and the use of guns and violence, I'll let you point them out, as some already have, and I think they suck too.

    By the way, love your new avatar. It's not every conservative that would put a major supporter of Move On in their avatar. Congrats!
  15. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Are you kidding? There's over the top rhetoric constantly from both sides. I'm talking specifically about using violence and firearms as political attractions and threats. My opinion alone, possibly, but that raises things to a different level than calling someone a socialist.
    And you can't see how this very statement dismisses the over-the-top rhetoric coming from the Left?
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    And you can't see how this very statement dismisses the over-the-top rhetoric coming from the Left?

    No, I don't. I just said that I didn't consider calling someone a socialist over the top. If a democratic candidate threatened someone with guns or violence, I would disown it. They probably have, and feel free to make me aware. You get to make your own definitions of over the top. That's mine.
  17. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    No, I don't. I just said that I didn't consider calling someone a socialist over the top. If a democratic candidate threatened someone with guns or violence, I would disown it. They probably have, and feel free to make me aware. You get to make your own definitions of over the top. That's mine.
    Wait wait wait. What I miss? Which candidate on either side threatened someone with guns or violence? I mean, other than the Obama quote (which he apologized for soon after).
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Fair enough. I look forward to reading your scathing condemnation the next time someone from the Left spouts over-the-top rhetoric.
    Groovy....notice he kept quiet regarding the guy who said "you're dead" to the Tea Party leader? That's because he doesn't mean what he says....it just sounds good and makes him feel good about himself. That's what democrats do....they say the right thing because it makes them feel good, but then don't follow through. It's just what they do. Now....let's all hold hands, sing kumbayah, and feel good about each other.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  19. #119  
    It's really interesting watching you three squirm away from making the simple statement that you reject any candidate (note the word "candidate") who raises the possibility of the use of guns or violence in a campaign. You just can't say it, can you?

    I can.
  20. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    It's really interesting watching you three squirm away from making the simple statement that you reject any candidate (note the word "candidate") who raises the possibility of the use of guns or violence in a campaign. You just can't say it, can you?

    I can.
    Saying it doesn't mean anything if you ignore it whenever it's most expedient.

Posting Permissions