Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I'm 14.
    As anyone older than this knows, it is very important to have really close friends at this age even friends at all. I have both of them, all of my friends know that I am somewhat of a geek but none of them know how much I truly am. When my friends come over to hang out and I instinctively open Precentral when I open my browser (I know that's pathetic) my friends are either:
    • Confused
    • WOW just comes out of their mouth

Sure I have some friends who who visit Engadget once in a while but when I am instinctively visting this and TUAW when they are here I have some explain' to do. So my question is, how do I explain my geekiness to them. Oh, and yes, these are really good friends of mine and we always have a lot in common. They just don't know the geeky side of me.
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
    show them things that would make a difference to them - something they wish they could do.

don't worry about telling them what goes on behind the scenes unless they ask. The secret is to be able to show, and if you explain, it has to be in simple terms they will understand. Being 'geeky' is only a negative if you make them feel stupid and sound like you are speaking a foreign language. IMHO.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Show them what your Geek powers can do for them! I usually end up telling my not-as-geeky friends how much cooler they can make their phones by doing certain things to them. For example jail breaking the iPhone and Over Clocking the Android phones. Once they are into it and are smart enough to look up and execute these minor hackeries themselves they may actually be interested in visiting Precentral and using the TiPB and Android Central buttons on the top of the webpage haha.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    show them things that would make a difference to them - something they wish they could do.

don't worry about telling them what goes on behind the scenes unless they ask. The secret is to be able to show, and if you explain, it has to be in simple terms they will understand. Being 'geeky' is only a negative if you make them feel stupid and sound like you are speaking a foreign language. IMHO.
    So, are you saying that I can show them things like cards that are just really awesome and helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    Show them what your Geek powers can do for them! I usually end up telling my not-as-geeky friends how much cooler they can make their phones by doing certain things to them. For example jail breaking the iPhone and Over Clocking the Android phones. Once they are into it and are smart enough to look up and execute these minor hackeries themselves they may actually be interested in visiting Precentral and using the TiPB and Android Central buttons on the top of the webpage haha.
    A lot of my friends have jailbroken their iPod touches. They just don't know much more than that. But I definitely see the advantages in showing them ways that being geeky can improve THEIR life.
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
    if they have iphones, you can show comparisons, like taking a pic and posting it straight to facebook. Then have them show you theirs doing the same thing.

then have them play a game that is also on the pre, like angry birds so you can both play at the same time. Use a third phone to text both of you. Have them call both, too.

then show them that you have had a youtube video and another game running the entire time. Switch to them to show them playing as they come in to full view.

their is a jailbreak for iOS that mimicks the cardview metaphor, so they can even get a little of the feel of the Pre.

install one of the Mac-oriented themes. They can't do themes.

and then if you really want to end with a bang, write a simple webOS app so you can show them an app and say 'i wrote that'. Bonus points if you can get it into the preware or palm catalog!
    OP-

Don't be ashamed of anything you enjoy in life (unless it's perverted and illegal).

I don't think reading Precentral and tweaking your phone fall into those categories, so don't worry about your so-called friends.

REAL friends like you as you are.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ••dbdoinit View Post
    OP-

Don't be ashamed of anything you enjoy in life (unless it's perverted and illegal).

I don't think reading Precentral and tweaking your phone fall into those categories, so don't worry about your so-called friends.

that sounds like geek talk to me. jk
    dbd is right, and the other advice is great, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Erckul View Post
    that sounds like geek talk to me. jk
    dbd is right, and the other advice is great, too
    says the guy with erckul for a name indeed learning about your phone to make the most of it is a great idea, I've had my phone for almost a year now and am still learning things here and there. As for turning on P|C when you turn on your computer, I don't always come here first, but it's not far from the top of the list.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Give your friends a history lesson. The geekiest guys in the country in the 1980's were millionaires and billionaires in the 1990's.

Seriously, though, dbd is right. Unless you're a major jerk you don't really have to explain anything. Certainly, having an serious interest in smartphones is nothing to hide.
    My son is almost 16, he wouldn't worry about explaining geekiness, he'd just go on with whatever he was doing. However, if someone asks, he is always happy to show off his Pre.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by ••dbdoinit View Post
    OP-

but our beloved politicians do perverted an illegal things all day ... and they arent ashamed?!?!?
    I don't think visiting this site equals increased geekiness.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    if they have iphones, you can show comparisons, like taking a pic and posting it straight to facebook. Then have them show you theirs doing the same thing.

then have them play a game that is also on the pre, like angry birds so you can both play at the same time. Use a third phone to text both of you. Have them call both, too.

then show them that you have had a youtube video and another game running the entire time. Switch to them to show them playing as they come in to full view.

their is a jailbreak for iOS that mimicks the cardview metaphor, so they can even get a little of the feel of the Pre.

install one of the Mac-oriented themes. They can't do themes.

and then if you really want to end with a bang, write a simple webOS app so you can show them an app and say 'i wrote that'. Bonus points if you can get it into the preware or palm catalog!
    Haha, all this is useful if he wants to show his phone is better than other people's. But he just wants his friends to not think of his geekyness as a bad thing and instead work with him and geekyfy their lives a bit more.

And I dont have an iPod, but I did jail break my sister's and you CAN theme them the same as the Pre using Cydia (which is similar to preware for the iPhone/iPod). But other than Cydia apps that Apple doesn't allow and the themes you can install I dont know how easy/hard/annoying/fun it is to geek out with an iOS or Android device.

To the OP: Your friends (like my friends) will at first think your putting too much effort and time into a phone. But once you show them how crippled all phones/laptops/computers are before patching/hacking/tweaking they will appreciate your smartness and if they care about getting the most out of their devices they will ask for your opinions on what to buy, whats possible with their device and so on. At that point you convert them to WebOS users! lol

Besides, Geeks should befriend geeks! No culture Mixing! (I am totally joking about that last one, my girlfriend does not know the difference between a smart phone or a feature phone. But she totally adores my ability to make technology better haha). Its like a super power!
    op, I think you can just say that you are intrested in technology and how learning and playing with these things is fun for you.
    Just tell em that your researching ways to be prepared for when google becomes self aware, and android phones start attacking their owners. Lol.

I visit sites like this because I'm fascinated at how far and how fast technology is moving. That's a simple response, and a hard one to argue.
    Stop caring what other people think and enjoy yourself. As far as making others understand, just show them your geek powers and how they are beneficial.