Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Alright, so I have a weird problem/situation on my hands. I have a custom built computer that I built a few years ago. It's getting a little older considering how technology works these days. Granted, it's still a perfect computer in every way shape and form. I'll list the specs below so someone could possibly pin point the problem out.

But here's the problem, I come home from work yesterday and my computer won't turn on when I move the mouse. So, ok that's fine, I restart it. But when I restart it, usually I get a beep when it's booting up, nothing. I fully turn it off then back on, stilll nothing. I wait a little bit and see if the monitors turn on with the BIOS screen but still just black. Everything had been working the day before yesterday, at night so it happened when I was sleeping sometime because I didn't happen to check it in the morning.

So here I go troubleshooting my computer, I know my computer and something isn't right here. So I begin by reseating everything, taking out unnecessary things that might be causing a problem. Nothing happens until I reach my hard drives. When I unplug my [2] drives my computer beeps and boots to the bios and everything is dandy (except I don't have any drive to boot from). But when I plug it back in, it breaks again.

Removing the power from the drives lets the PC boot, but just removing the SATA plugs doesn't do anything. So from what I've narrowed it down to is maybe the molex to dual sata power adapter?

One more side note, I just bought and installed my new graphics card. I upgraded from a Nvidia Geforce 8600GT to an AMD Radeon HD 5770. ( I love this card )
    Could that be giving me an issue? It's been nearly two weeks since I've had the card... no issues with it at all.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I had to get all the details in. Here are my specs.

Processor: Intel Xeon E3110
    Mobo: Asus P5KC
    PSU: Ultra X-Connect 400-Watt
    RAM: OCZ Gold Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
    Hard Drives: 2 x SATA 500GB
    Graphics Card: AMD HD 5770 1GB
    Sprint Love
    Removing the power from the drives lets the PC boot, but just removing the SATA plugs doesn't do anything.
    Sounds to me like a power problem. Try using different power supply.
    I bet your PS was not up to the new graphics card. They draw serious power these days.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I bet your PS was not up to the new graphics card. They draw serious power these days.
    I checked out the recommended and it was around ~350-380 w.. and like I said, my computer is getting somewhat old. So you think the power supply is just not giving enough juice out anymore?

Also, how is best buy on returns? ltm. Because I don't want to buy a new power supply and it not actually be the power supply. (Only store around me that has computer parts I can test with before buying online)
    Sprint Love
    Before we go too far down the power supply route, was the comp working in its latest configuration (new graphics card and all) for at least some amount of time, or did it conk out right after the upgrade?

See if you can swap the old card back in, or pull the card out altogether and use the motherboard's on-board video if you have it.

Also try just plugging one hard drive or the other (without the molex to dual sata power adapter if possible) and see if you can get to the BIOS/POST screen that way.
  6.    #6  
    Yes, I've had my new graphics card in for about a week and a half or more. And just the other day is when my computer crapped out on me.
    That's what baffled me about this situation.

Also, I only have a molex to sata splitter, my cables are modular and those are at my house not my apartment. (I'll be home Saturday though so I can check when I get there)
    Sprint Love
    Ok, how about leaving the new video card in for the moment, and just hooking up one drive (leave the other unplugged completely, both power/data). Unless there is an internal short or something in the molex adapter, it shouldn't be much of a variable when connected to only one drive. If no luck, try again with only the other drive.
  8.    #8  
    I did try that already, and using just one doesn't work.
    ok lets keep eliminating more variables.... next, did you still have your old video card? or perhaps does the motherboard have built-in video?
  10.    #10  
    I still have my old card, Nvidia Geforce 8600GT but I haven't tried that yet. When I get off work I will. If it happens to boot, then that would be a psu problem probably right?
    Yeah that would point to the PSU more if the old card works with everything else plugged back in. I'm curious to know because I'm still a little unsure that insufficient power is the issue. Unless you're JUST at the limit of your PSU output, adding a single hard drive wouldn't typically "break the camel's back" so to speak.
    Last edited by sq5; 12/17/2010 at 09:51 AM.
    (My first instinct also tells me to further investigate the hard drives / SATA controller themselves too, since removing those from the equation brings the machine back online.)
    Last edited by sq5; 12/17/2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Read that you already tried just disconnecting just the SATA data cables.
    Granted, the AMD HD 5770 does call for a 450watt PSU, but that's usually to handle max load. It's not drawing that much power at bootup. Besides, you were running fine like you said. If the old video card gets everything working again though, then the PSU is probably to blame.
    Last edited by sq5; 12/17/2010 at 09:42 AM.
    I have to agree w/ most replies... You need a higher rated power supply.
    yes get a 700 watt psu and you'll be golden. A few more gigs of ram wouldn't hurt either .
    Did we ever find out if the OP tried the old video card? It sure sounds like either a power issue or the new card died, which happens occasionally. Power issues could perhaps exacerbate any borderline component on the video card.

Also check to see if any of the capacitors on the motherboard are popping out of the top. There was a period of time when that was common because tens of millions of defective capacitors found their way into every board maker. If the right capacitors failed, it could prevent POST or prevent another component (like video) from working. I ran in to this once where it didn't show up until I had enough programs open to require every memory slot to be used, and then boom. Memory tested good in other rigs, etc. After a long time troubleshooting, I noticed two capacitors that were not easily visible had ruptured. Swapped in an identical MoBo, problem solved.

It will be interesting to see what the OP reports back to be the actual solution from all the ideas posted here.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Did we ever find out if the OP tried the old video card? It sure sounds like either a power issue or the new card died, which happens occasionally. Power issues could perhaps exacerbate any borderline component on the video card.

Also check to see if any of the capacitors on the motherboard are popping out of the top. There was a period of time when that was common because tens of millions of defective capacitors found their way into every board maker. If the right capacitors failed, it could prevent POST or prevent another component (like video) from working. I ran in to this once where it didn't show up until I had enough programs open to require every memory slot to be used, and then boom. Memory tested good in other rigs, etc. After a long time troubleshooting, I noticed two capacitors that were not easily visible had ruptured. Swapped in an identical MoBo, problem solved.

It will be interesting to see what the OP reports back to be the actual solution from all the ideas posted here.
    Sorry, I'm at working and have been trying to reply to this thread on my phone. Finally back at the office now and can reply with regular typing.

And I haven't tried my old card yet, still been at work. I definitely will try this when I get back home.

Also, I already checked all the capacitors briefly to see if there were any that were popped. All of them seem fine.

I will try the old card after work and report my findings. But it's pointing more towards a new PSU. Speaking of which, can anyone suggest a new modular PSU? That is relatively cheap, I don't want to go overboard here. I am a broke college student.

To all: I appreciate all the feedback you've given me!
    Sprint Love
    I've had good luck with NewEgg's house brand - Rosewill
  19.    #19  
    And here's what I've found out:

It is a power issue.

I plugged installed my old card and it booted up perfectly normal, just like it used to.
    One thing I did notice this time that I didn't before is that the hard drives even SOUND different when booting.

Looks like I'm going to have to find a new PSU.

Thanks everyone.
    Sprint Love
  20.    #20  
    I was thinking about this:

Newegg.com - Rosewill Libertas Series LIB-650 650W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Full Modular, ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.92,SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active PFC, Compatible with Core i7, i5 Power Supply

Any opinions? I really wish I could get something that has some nice LED's in it like the one I have now, but I don't want to pay more for that.
    Sprint Love
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast