Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Seems a lot of people in Cross-Platform Chat love this expression. Funny that "Hotcakes" is the word, a McDonalds reference, for sure. I've heard of pancakes, and flapjacks elsewhere, but nowhere can you buy "Hotcakes" except for McDonalds. They aren't even that good unless you're 5. So let's dig a little deeper, and see just how well these "Hotcakes" really sell. I spent a lot of time looking and this is the best I could find:

10 Most Popular McDonald's Menu Items of All Time

10. McGriddles Breakfast Sandwich
    9. Double Cheeseburger
    8. Premium Salads
    7. Chicken McNuggets and Chicken Select Strips
    6. Apple Dippers and Baked Apple Pie
    5. Egg McMuffin
    4. Happy Meal
    3. Snack Wrap
    2. Big Mac
    1. French Fries

Hmm....no hotcakes......imagine that. Maybe they should change the idiom to "those things sell like French Fries"?

Mod: feel free to move this post over to that forum, so they can see this too ( not sure if they can see Off-topic or not )
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    And on another note, I spotted a bug on a rug, and it did NOT look snug.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Seems a lot of people in Cross-Platform Chat love this expression. Funny that "Hotcakes" is the word, a McDonalds reference, for sure. I've heard of pancakes, and flapjacks elsewhere, but nowhere can you buy "Hotcakes" except for McDonalds. They aren't even that good unless you're 5. So let's dig a little deeper, and see just how well these "Hotcakes" really sell. I spent a lot of time looking and this is the best I could find:

10 Most Popular McDonald's Menu Items of All Time

10. McGriddles Breakfast Sandwich
    9. Double Cheeseburger
    8. Premium Salads
    7. Chicken McNuggets and Chicken Select Strips
    6. Apple Dippers and Baked Apple Pie
    5. Egg McMuffin
    4. Happy Meal
    3. Snack Wrap
    2. Big Mac
    1. French Fries

Hmm....no hotcakes......imagine that. Maybe they should change the idiom to "those things sell like French Fries"?

Mod: feel free to move this post over to that forum, so they can see this too ( not sure if they can see Off-topic or not )
    I'm lovin it! Lol .... Pun intended!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    And on another note, I spotted a bug on a rug, and it did NOT look snug.
    That's your avatar

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Technically McGriddles ARE hotcakes it you think about it...
  6.    #6  
    You started it. If you want to get technical.... McGriddles are egg mcmuffins with hotcakes in lieu of mcmuffins. You get a half point, but the saying isn't "selling like mcgriddles" is it?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    The term hotcake is regional (just like flapjack). McDonalds did not coin it.

Re: Sell like hot cakes
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    LOL - Just got an email back from the folks at Continental Mills (makers of Krusteaz Pancake mix).

Total units sold is about 65 million of varying sizes. Average pancakes (hotcakes) per package is 40. 65 million multiplied by 40 equals 2.6 billion pancakes per yer. lol. I think that kicks McDonald's in the proverbial pants....

That excludes any other pancake mix. I know that on average I probably have 4 pancakes a month, or 48 per year. Multiply my average by 250 million + potential pancake eaters in the US, and you get 12 billion pancakes.... I bet that even outsells the Whopper, Big Mac, and the Wendy's double combined.

In conclusion, I think selling like hotcakes still works.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

I wouldn't say McD's synonimous with hotcakes however, it does bring up another interesting point about how company names or products become universal. "Coke" is probably the best example as it is a term used for all 'cola' beverages regardless of manufacturer.

Other popular ones are:

Google - for any websearch even if Google is not used. "I Googled it on Bing search"

Xerox - to mean a copy regardless of equipment brand. "Xerox 100 copies of this on that Canon copier over there."

Ghost - to make an image of software. "Start up Acronis and make a ghost of that file server."
  10.    #10  
    All good points, however, maybe it's different down south, but in Canada, it's either pancakes or flapjacks. I've never heard anyone call them: battercake, flannel cake, flannel-cake, flapcake, griddlecake, hot cake(aside from McDonalds) even though it's in the dictionary.
    Wonder what they call them at IHOP?

I think I'll just stick to my Sausage McMuffin.
    All good points, however, maybe it's different down south, but in Canada, it's either pancakes or flapjacks. I've never heard anyone call them: battercake, flannel cake, flannel-cake, flapcake, griddlecake, hot cake(aside from McDonalds) even though it's in the dictionary.
    Wonder what they call them at IHOP?
    Delicious...
  12.    #12  
    You sir, win a prize
    would you prefer: "Selling like half priced crack in the hood on Welfare check day"?
  14.    #14  
    I sure would(at least that's semi-believable)....now pass that on to all them ............never mind that thread got closed yesterday.
    Hot cakes has been a word much longer McDonald's ever served breakfast.
    It was a specialty of Lisa Douglas, check out nick at nite Green acres, although she pronounces it "Hots Cakes"
    SELL LIKE HOT CAKES - "Hot cakes cooked in bear grease or pork lard were popular from earliest times in American. First made of cornmeal, the griddle cakes or pancakes were of course best when served piping hot and were often sold at church benefits, fairs, and other functions. So popular were they that by the beginning of the 19th century 'to sell like hot cakes' was a familiar expression for anything that sold very quickly effortlessly, and in quantity." From "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997)

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cornme...es/Detail.aspx

Last edited by sketch42; 12/14/2010 at 03:22 PM.
  17.    #17  
    well there ya go..... Learn something new every day
    Selling like pork lard and bear grease... that's about as funny as a screen door on a battleship....

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here....

19.    #19  
    Damn you Biff.....damn you
    I thought I told you never to come in here.... we'll it's gonna cost you. How much money you got?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast