Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe.
    Otherwise known as:
    How the Martians helped the US government to steal media coverage from WikiLeaks.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I can't really blame them. There's not a lot else they can do but hope it blows over quickly.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I can't really blame them. There's not a lot else they can do but hope it blows over quickly.
    There's probably a WikiLeaks article about ET somewhere, about to be leaked.
    I'm sure in real life, that little bugger didn't get his 1 phone call.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    There's probably a WikiLeaks article about ET somewhere, about to be leaked.
    I'm sure in real life, that little bugger didn't get his 1 phone call.
    If he had, it'd have been...

"This Death Star is fully op-erational!"

The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  5.    #5  
    You mean the Pyramid wasn't built?
    ET just parked it there?
  6.    #6  
    'alien' bacteria that survives in arsenic

Astrobiology findings: 'Alien' bacteria that lives on arsenic found in Californian lake opens up search for life on other planets | Mail Online

OK, what we're gonna throw at them to kill them?
    Pink marshmallows?
    Great. Now that totally opens the door for parasitic insectoid aliens with acid for blood. Who's joining the Space Marines?

edit: was just on space.com and saw that (above) headline. Funny how they need to make an announcement that they are going to make an announcement. I found this interesting article :http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/secret-giant-planet-sun-companion-1011201.html there as well. I've heard similar, albeit purely hypothetical, "stories" of a said planet "Niburu" aka "Planet X". Sometimes the best part on that site are the brainiacs argueing over the articles. Imagine Einstein and Hawking getting into a fist-a-cuffs over whether the Cosmological Constant shifts from the 4th dimension to the 8th while approaching lightspeed in a wormhole... It's fairly comical
    Last edited by sledge007; 12/01/2010 at 09:13 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Great. Now that totally opens the door for parasitic insectoid aliens with acid for blood. Who's joining the Space Marines?
    Let's send in dbd.
    Any apology isn't worth much unless someone makes a meaningful sacrifice.
    we always knew that california is full of space cadets, especially hollywood. I guess this proves that some of them really are from another planet.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 12/01/2010 at 09:32 AM.
    Let's send in dbd.
    Any apology isn't worth much unless someone makes a meaningful sacrifice.
    send the llamas as well.. they can spit on the aliens,, that might work to stop em for a bit.. lol
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    If he had, it'd have been...

"This Death Star is fully op-erational!"

damn is that where i parked my space ship.... lol
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    send the llamas as well.. they can spit on the aliens,, that might work to stop em for a bit.. lol
    Unless they consider it a valuable energy source and spread their orifices wide open.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    'alien' bacteria that survives in arsenic

Astrobiology findings: 'Alien' bacteria that lives on arsenic found in Californian lake opens up search for life on other planets | Mail Online

OK, what we're gonna throw at them to kill them?
    Pink marshmallows?
    Game over man! Game over!

Nuke them from space!
    see?? elvis really isn't dead, he did just go home! thank you MIB!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shmutt1980 View Post
    see?? elvis really isn't dead, he did just go home! thank you MIB!
    We're supposed to be somehow comforted?
    I know the announcement said there would be an announcement (lol) but I found something to tide you over:

SPACE.com -- Reality Check: NASA Blurb Sparks Runaway Speculation About Possible Alien Life

Reality Check: NASA Blurb Sparks Runaway Speculation About Possible Alien Life
    By Mike Wall
    SPACE.com Senior Writer
    posted: 01 December 2010
    05:31 pm ET

The announcement of a NASA press conference slated for tomorrow (Dec. 2) has set the Internet abuzz with rumors that scientists have discovered extraterrestrial life.

NASA announced Monday (Nov. 29) that it will hold a press conference Thursday to discuss new findings "that will impact the search for extraterrestrial life." Participants include several scientists involved in the hunt for life beyond Earth, as well as researchers studying extreme forms of life on our own planet.

These details sent speculation into overdrive on the Internet. One prominent rumor is that microbial life has been found on Titan, Saturn's largest moon.

One early exponent of that rumor was blogger Jason Kottke, who speculated about the possibility of Titan life on Monday.

The NASA press conference will discuss a study being published at 2 p.m. EST (1900 GMT) Thursday in the journal Science. The research is embargoed until then. Under the embargo system, some science journalists get an advance look at papers, under the agreement that they will not reveal the findings until the research is published.

The swirl of speculation led many reporters to contact the American Association for the Advancement of Science, which publishes Science, asking if the embargo is still in effect.

"We did get about a dozen inquiries from registered reporters, who were confused," Ginger Pinholster, director of public programs at AAAS, told SPACE.com.

In response, AAAS sent an e-mail to journalists, informing them that the embargo has not been lifted.

"That's standard protocol for something like this," Pinholster said. "It's just a pre-emptive note."

So are the bloggers onto something? Will scientists make an Earth-shaking announcement tomorrow? Perhaps not, since science journalists have already thrown cold water on some of the most breathless rumors. [10 Alien Encounters Debunked]

Kottke, for example, has updated his blog post to include a tweet from The Atlantic's Alexis Madrigal.

"I'm sad to quell some of the @kottke-induced excitement about possible extraterrestrial life," Madrigal's Nov. 30 tweet reads. "I've seen the Science paper. It's not that."

To find out exactly what the researchers have discovered, everyone will just have to wait for the press conference. Pinholster, for one, will probably be glad when the facts come out and the speculation stops.

"Some of the coverage has been almost comically erroneous," Pinholster said. "I'm hopeful that we'll see many more responsible stories coming out after the embargo lifts."

And yet again.....scrolling through the 3 pages of comments is almost a better read than the article itself.... too funny

If you're too lazy to look at some of these comments, these 2 are rather funny and nice dig @ Apple:

JasonFontaine wrote:

You are witnessing the Facebook/Steve Jobs effect of NASA. Make an announcement about an announcement several days BEOFRE announcement to generate buzz. Keep it just cryptic enough to get internet rumors started.
    Cue big smile, lots of interest - and sarcastic look on faces as to why this announcement - announced several days before in headline scratching form - is really about something totally off-topic.
    Why not simply announce the finding without the announcement to announce what it is you are intending to announce without confusing everybody? Right? It's not like you're showing a new iPhone...or enabling a Friend Request....where's the DISLIKE button when you need it?
    .Reply | Recommend (1) | Report Abuse
    posted 02 December 2010, 7:27 am ETMikeWiggins wrote:

In an attempt at being neutrally analytical, I offer the following (if I say things you already know, my apologies):

1. If NASA is making an announcement, it seems that any announcement will be tied into data being received by NASA satellites/probes/etc.

2. Life does not need to be photographed. It can be inferred by spectroscopic analysis. But with all the probes that are still out there, none have been associated with complex organic compounds that MIGHT be indicators of proto-life. And I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that orbital probes such as Cassini are not able to detect this type of evidence. So that leaves the probes that HAVE made contact with a "foreign" surface. With one exception (Hayabusa), the most amount of soil analysis has been done on Mars by three separate probes. So, in my analysis, the arrow is pointing to Mars.

3. Only two of the Martian landers (Viking and Polar Lander) actually dug into the surface of Mars.

4. It takes an ungodly amount of time to analyze ANYTHING to make sure any discoveries that have been made are indeed scientifically correct and verifiable.

Conclusion: I am GUESSING that the Mars Polar Lander did indeed find something of interest such as organic compounds or even evidence of a subsurface "moss" (for lack of a better word).

In actuality, there are probably new pictures of the "Spirit" Mars Rover showing that the reason it can't move is that it is sitting on cement blocks and is missing its wheels!
    Last edited by sledge007; 12/02/2010 at 08:59 AM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    wikileaks has only released 500 of the 250 000 documents they have. Push comes to shove, they take a break for two weeks, and continue where they left off.
    Found the BIG story, in a nutshell it says: (they found a new micro-organism in Mono Lake, CA, that thrives on arsenic)

The DNA molecule is shaped like a spiral ladder. The "rungs" of the ladder are comprised of pairs of nucleotides, which spell out the genetic instructions of life. The sides of the DNA ladder, referred to as its backbone, are long chains of alternating sugar and phosphate molecules. A phosphate molecule contains five atoms: one of phosphorus, four of oxygen. No phosphorus, no phosphate. No phosphate, no backbone. No backbone, no DNA. No DNA, no life.
    GFAJ-1 apparently didn't read the manual.
    When Wolfe-Simon starved GFAJ-1 cells of phosphorus, while flooding them with arsenic, far more than enough arsenic to kill most other organisms, it grew and divided as though it had been offered its favorite snack.

more info

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/arsenic-bacteria-alien-life-101202.html
  19.    #19  
    It doesn't thrive on arsenic.
    It just considers it to be an acceptable substitute for phosphorus, which is as scientifically logical as unlikely.
    Until now.

All this means is getting ET home will be even more expensive as options for his planet of origin have now nonupled.
    nonupled.......fantastic word.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast