1.    #1  
    It is technically a foundation, a non profit organization website, which will allow people to make donations for the cause. Is purchasing an SSL certificate for this site a good idea?
    If i have to purchase then which one is better for such a site?
    yes. I suggest verisign.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    yes, the transfer should be encrypted. If you want to offload the whole process, you could use a third party like Paypal.

If you're looking for a cert at a good price, rapidssl has them for about US$20.
    The whole process of accepting online payments requires a lot more than just a secure website. Better to use a 3rd party payment handler like Paypal, Google checkout, Worldpay etc.

If you are intent on doing it yourself, talk to your bank/payment processor before you do anything with the website and make sure you can comply with their requirements for allowing online payments.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    OP... send me a PM if you have questions about on-line payments (it's what I do for a living). I have several members here at P|C set up for payment acceptance. It isn't a hard process and can all be done from processor's side so you don't have to worry about it. If you try and worry about encryption on your end, you will have to do all the PCI Compliance work yourself also (nightmare and expensive).

You don't have to go and purchase a certificate if you utilize a service designed for accepting donations.

PM me and I'll give you a hand so you don't have to worry about that side of things.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/26/2010 at 01:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    OP... send me a PM if you have questions about on-line payments (it's what I do for a living). I have several members here at P|C set up for payment acceptance. It isn't a hard process and can all be done from processor's side so you don't have to worry about it. If you try and worry about encryption on your end, you will have to do all the PCI Compliance work yourself also (nightmare and expensive).

You don't have to go and purchase a certificate if you utilize a service designed for accepting donations.

PM me and I'll give you a hand so you don't have to worry about that side of things.
    what percentage do these processors charge ?? are charges based on a flat percentage -- or are there per transaction fees in addition to a percentage ??

Are these issues and costs the same with for-profit enterprises, as for non-profits ??

Do political candidates and campaigns have any additional hoops to jump through, both in terms of reporting, and (therefore) processing costs ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    There may be the option of a shared cert on your website hosting service.

To install an SSL cert your website will need a dedicated IP which your webhost may charge additionally for.

How are you going to process the donations? On the fly through a service like Verisign or manually with your merchant acct?