Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    So your observations that "that's not the way the world works" is beside the point because I'm saying how it should work.
    You weren't saying "this is how the world should work" when you defended Yardie's assumption that Jewish people favor war with Iraq.

because I'm saying how it should work
    OH MY GOD! Did you actually post that? Really, I think I don't need you to tell me how the world should work. No matter how sincere or well-intentioned you may be.
    Originally posted by Toby
    Excuse me while I spit liquid all over my monitor.
    Heh, heh. Funny.
  3.    #303  
    Originally posted by John Nowak

If war is not a morally charged issue, what is?
    In this case, your notion of whether or not it is "right" to overthrow Sadam is not cause for me judging you to be a good person or not. So in this case, in my mind, there is no moral weight to your decision on this war. However, if you say "we need to go to war to kill all arabs" well, then, that's a different story.
  4.    #304  
    Originally posted by K. Cannon

You weren't saying "this is how the world should work" when you defended Yardie's assumption that Jewish people favor war with Iraq.

OH MY GOD! Did you actually post that? Really, I think I don't need you to tell me how the world should work. No matter how sincere or well-intentioned you may be.
    We've since moved from the world of statistics to morals. Answer me this: if no one ever thinks about how things should be, how do we ever progress? If you a constantly ruminating over the present, you'll be doomed to never progress. What did Mr. Shaw say about seeing things as they are?
    In this case, your notion of whether or not it is "right" to overthrow Sadam is not cause for me judging you to be a good person or not. So in this case, in my mind, there is no moral weight to your decision on this war. However, if you say "we need to go to war to kill all arabs" well, then, that's a different story.
    Why the distinction?
    We've since moved from the world of statistics to morals.
    But wasn't that your original point you kept harping on, one that I said I didn't agree to--that there was a distinction between assuming something about someone and it being factually wrong and assuming something about someone and it being morally wrong. And me saying assuming someone about someone based on their religion is just wrong wrong?

You never really answered my question: If J. Happel was personally offended by your assumption, do you think that it was wrong?

me this: if no one ever thinks about how things should be, how do we ever progress?
    You can think about how things should be all you want, there, Slick. Just don't presume to tell me how I should think things should be.
  7.    #307  
    Originally posted by John Nowak

Why the distinction?
    Because I believe the argument of protecting people (Kurds, Kuwaitis, etc) is a noble aim, genocide is not. I trust you agree.
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 10/18/2002 at 01:06 PM.
  8.    #308  

But wasn't that your original point you kept harping on, one that I said I didn't agree to--that there was a distinction between assuming something about someone and it being factually wrong and assuming something about someone and it being morally wrong. And me saying assuming someone about someone based on their religion is just wrong wrong?
    The distinction I've been making all along is it depends on what you are assuming. If it is a morally neutral fact, why is it (morally) wrong? If it is not, of course it's (morally) wrong. Don't go assuming being Jewish implies greediness. Obviously not!

You never really answered my question: If J. Happel was personally offended by your assumption, do you think that it was wrong?
    I did answer your question: "If he offended by the notion that someone is under the impression that more Jewish people favor war than don't, I think he needs to rethink his views.... Remember, in my framework, wanting war against Iraq is no more offensive than prefering orange M&Ms." There are things that people shouldn't be offended by. For instance I'm not offended if you are surprised I like classical music. Because I realize that in making the assumption that I don't, you weren't thinking "oh he's a bum because he doesn't like classical music." My claims here are nothing spectacular but yet it keeps being twisted into somehow saying I support judging people before I meet them. Indeed judging is the last thing one should do as it requires a whole host of information. Judging is not the same as hypothesizing.

What this has come down to is that I refuse to ignore things that have been ignored by others because by recognizing them they couldn't avoid judging people.

You can think about how things should be all you want, there, Slick. Just don't presume to tell me how I should think things should be.
    You're right, and of course you never once said how things should be done. All you do is rehash reality. You hold no opinions whatsoever.
    You may consider it be a morally charged issue but I don't.
    Then you are clearly not sane.
    I'm sorry you look down on someone because of their view on this issue.
    I'm not looking down upon anyone for the view upon this issue.
    That must cause a lot of problems.
    Why would it?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    We've since moved from the world of statistics to morals.
    I think you're the only one who ever belabored the delusion about being purely in the world of statistics.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  11.    #311  
    [B]Then you are clearly not sane.[B]I'm not looking down upon anyone for the view upon this issue.Why would it?
    I'm clearly not sane? Why's that? If you think someone is a good/bad (in any degree, not necessarily binary) person because of their views on Iraq, it would cause problems because the data on the case is such that reasonable, moral people can come down on either side of the issue. I try to enjoy the presence of reasonable/moral people. If I were to dislike a great number of them, I'd feel bad. That is the problem to which I refer.
  12.    #312  
    I think you're the only one who ever belabored the delusion about being purely in the world of statistics.
    When making academic argument (such as the logic behind the science of statistics) you indeed live in a theoretical world. Newton lived in a theoretical world, and I wouldn't want to call him a failure, do you?
    [...] You never really answered my question: If J. Happel was personally offended by your assumption, do you think that it was wrong?
    I want to see that survey too, BTW. The one that showed that we can determine someone's position on the middle east by knowing if they're jewish.
    That's right. I'm the only one allowed that right. ;~~~~
  14.    #314  
    [B]I want to see that survey too, BTW. The one that showed that we can determine someone's position on the middle east by knowing if they're jewish.
    Ask what's his name. I never claimed one existed. I simply claimed the logic behind a statement was sound.
    I'm clearly not sane? Why's that?
    Because you seem to have trouble distinguishing fantasy from reality.
    I did answer your question
    Please humor me. Please answer it again. It is a yes or no question.

"If J. Happel was personally offended by your assumption, do you think that it was wrong?"
  17.    #317  
    Because you seem to have trouble distinguishing fantasy from reality.
    Again, it comes down to seeing things as they are and seeing things as they should be. Reality is just that: where we are today. Where we are headed is fantasy. Civil rights in the 50's? Fantasy. Abolotion in the 1850's? Fantasy. I'm not claiming to be Abe Lincoln or Martin Luther King Jr. but to put me down because I am trying to better the world seems like a waste of time.
  18.    #318  

Please humor me. Please answer it again. It is a yes or no question.

"If J. Happel was personally offended by your assumption, do you think that it was (morally) wrong?"
    No.

I already answered this twice! It isn't somethign that should be mulled over. If someone is offended by the color of my sneakers, that's just too bad. Likewise with every other issue in this world with no bearing on someone's worth as a human being.

PS I changed your quote for clarification.
    When making academic argument (such as the logic behind the science of statistics) you indeed live in a theoretical world.
    You really do have trouble reading, don't you? The logic behind the science of statistics was never in question.
    Newton lived in a theoretical world, and I wouldn't want to call him a failure, do you?
    Newton didn't live in a theoretical world.
  20.    #320  
    [B]You really do have trouble reading, don't you? The logic behind the science of statistics was never in question.Newton didn't live in a theoretical world.
    What do you mean the logic behind stats was never in question. Answer me this: Knowing the presence of a trait in a population will allow you to predict with above chance accurary (50%) its presence in a random member of that population.

If you answer is as before, you will say no. And you will be contradicting the logic of statistics.

Newton did live in a theoretical world, simplified of the concepts of relativity.