Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1.    #1  
    In the Iraq thread I made a little jab about Canada's voting system. I think I need to balance that with some praise. Canada really is a great country. The US and Canada share values, a border and so much more. Watching a PBS special on Canada's response to September 11th I realize how true that is. Because we share so much, any "war" on terror finds us on the same side. Sure, we may not always agree immediately on what the right answer is, but eventually we will settle on the right way; I'm sure.

    Of course this all goes for the EU as well. I just haven't made fun of their elections yet.

    Seriously, here's to one boat.
  2. #2  
    Why thank you so much, but yes our voting system does need some work.

    The thing I like about Canada is that we managed to gain a great amount of respect and power while having active army of only 10,000 or so....I mean it's like the ultimate message of world peace.
    Alex.
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
  3. #3  
    And 9 out of 10 times the "right" way end up being the American way.. sigh.


    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    In the Iraq thread I made a little jab about Canada's voting system. I think I need to balance that with some praise. Canada really is a great country. The US and Canada share values, a border and so much more. Watching a PBS special on Canada's response to September 11th I realize how true that is. Because we share so much, any "war" on terror finds us on the same side. Sure, we may not always agree immediately on what the right answer is, but eventually we will settle on the right way; I'm sure.

    Of course this all goes for the EU as well. I just haven't made fun of their elections yet.

    Seriously, here's to one boat.
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by yardie
    And 9 out of 10 times the "right" way end up being the American way.. sigh.
    the "right" of "might."
    you be quiet yardie! or the US will destroy your country! and the only reason given will be "he was lookin' at us funny."
    I never figured I'd ever think of my own country as a bully.
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by Yorick
    [...] I never figured I'd ever think of my own country as a bully.
    As far as bullies go, we're pretty mild.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by Yorick

    the "right" of "might."
    you be quiet yardie! or the US will destroy your country! and the only reason given will be "he was lookin' at us funny."
    I never figured I'd ever think of my own country as a bully.
    Forcing your will is not automatically a bad thing (the North forced its will on the South in the American Civil War, the Allies forced their will on the Germans in WWII, etc, etc). President Bush, in today's NYT:

    "America's greatest opportunity is to create a balance of world power that favors human freedom. We will use our position of unparalleled strength and influence to build an atmosphere of international order and openness in which progress and liberty can flourish in many nations. A peaceful world of growing freedom serves American long-term interests, reflects enduring American ideals and unites America's allies. We defend this peace by opposing and preventing violence by terrorists and outlaw regimes. We preserve this peace by building good relations among the world's great powers and we extend this peace by encouraging free and open societies on every continent."
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 09/11/2002 at 11:29 AM.
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by Yorick
    and the only reason given will be "he was lookin' at us funny."
    There's always the Texas "He needed killin'" defense...
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by yardie
    And 9 out of 10 times the "right" way end up being the American way.. sigh.
    Golly -- all you have to do is be wrong about the Russian Federation accepting an expansion of NATO and missile defense, be wrong about Europe being able to handle Yugoslavia on their own, and be wrong about detante being the best way to handle the Soviet Union, and suddenly people stop listening to your advice. How weird!

Posting Permissions