Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 377
  1. #141  
    Interesting. Practically the same letter. Looks like yours is older than the one I got sent, reference the 2006. I've never seen that version, and the email I got was sent to me this past summer.

    interesting rebuttal on that too at the end. Funny how they leave that Proverb in French, "Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose." -- The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    Last edited by sledge007; 11/27/2010 at 11:19 PM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2’ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  2. #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I went out of my way to find that. Would you care to elaborate on that because I didn't see anybody slander
    any French Canadians and I got a couple of good friends from there too.
    It was an 'other people call them ignorant' sideswipe from earlier in the thread. Anyway it's not important.
  3. #143  
    my xwife is a quebecer. while we are not together, i would never ever slander a french canadian, an it is important.. you brought it up... i went back as well and see nothing i wrote or anyone else that slanders the french of canada..
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
  4. #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    sorry I didn't see where you were from on the mobile app



    not sure what exactly you are getting at there....they DO have civilians....no one said they didn't.


    ok fair enough...all I was saying is the way your words were put together, it sounded slanted that way to me. You say pride in your country, I have pride in my country



    of course they don't. They have been fighting for hundreds and thousands of years... They, compared to us, are dirt poor. They live with next to nothing. Those that help them, do so for their own interests, not for the "greater good". Do you think if Iraq had no oil, if Afghanistan had no poppies, we would be there? I'm willing to wager had neither of those been there, our interests would be severely less.




    I agree with you on that statement, to a degree. They should be allowed to do their own thing, but they should also attempt to assimilate into our culture.




    To answer your question, your traditions and mine are no less important. You are NOT required to say Happy Holidays, that's the great thing about our country...say what you want. I don't say Happy Holidays, it's Merry Christmas and that's about it.

    I guess the reason why I must have thought you were American was you kept bringing up 9/11. I don't recall how many terrorist attacks there have been in Canada. Pretty sure it's close to none. Not trying to take anything away from the severity and loss from what happened either.

    So you want an eye for an eye, whose army were you planning on sending? Ours...lol. What exactly was our contribution when the US first invade Iraq? 3 frigates? You mention those drones, pretty sure Canada doesn't have any of those. Our F-18's are looking at getting replaced with something else, our actual ground force army, is minimal, not to mention exhausted from Afghanistan, our Navy minimal, our Air Force minimal. I guess it's easier to volunteer someone else's army, I'm assuming the USA's, than our own.

    Your turn
    ummm merry christmas is at the municipal, provincial and federal levels is frowned upon big time. several small towns have removed christmas trees from town hall due to issues with groups complaining about it not representing them or their beliefs. as to the canadian armed forces, well we need to step that up.. big time... i like others in here, lost a good friend on 9/11.. my employer refuses to follow the happy holiday thing, he insists its merry christmas when phones are answered.. and greetings are given.. the "political correctness" is what gets me and many others.. i also have family that is either presently serving in afghanistan or has in the very recent past... yes, an eye for the proverbial eye is what our present enemy believes in, to believe we can placate this present enemy with a helping hand is plain foolish and short sighted. Some of the feuds have been going on in Afghanistan for centuries... and will continue for a long time to come. I agree, the russian invasion should have taught us a huge lesson.. it didnt,, we are over there killing and dieing.. time to get out.. however, an old saying,, "a good defense is usually a great offense".. why wait for them to come here,, when you can take the fight to them.. I have no relish to see calgary or toronto or any other town or city go thru what mumbia went thru or any other town or city in pakistan, afghanistan or iraq.. long before we went into iraq and afghanistan, they were attacking civilians and military.. or does that not count...
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
  5. #145  
    Look at the current Korea conflict. US could of course follow China's example and try to de-escalate the whole matter. But noooooo, let's park the USS George Washington outside the door, and wait till someone farts. Then we can throw crap at them.

    If some North Korean terrorist chooses to set off a nuclear device in Manhattan, we could start a thread about what could diminish the threat of terrorism?
  6. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #146  
    Republicans think we should keep combat missions in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Yemen indefinitely and also start new wars with Iran and North Korea.

    ...While talking about cutting government spending and being fiscally responsible, but never considering taxing the rich more.

    Just watched Noam Chomsky: Who Controls the Message. Pretty cool hour long interview, I recommend watching it if you don't have anything better to do.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  7. #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    Republicans think we should keep combat missions in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Yemen indefinitely and also start new wars with Iran and North Korea.

    ...While talking about cutting government spending and being fiscally responsible, but never considering taxing the rich more.

    Just watched Noam Chomsky: Who Controls the Message. Pretty cool hour long interview, I recommend watching it if you don't have anything better to do.
    I don't know that turning this into a Republican VS Democrat debate is in anyway a good idea.

    The fact is we are not in this mess from one president's international mistakes.
    Not because of one party's failed international mistakes.

    We're in this miss because of 50+ years of failed international policy mistakes.
  8. #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    The fact is we are not in this mess from one president's international mistakes.
    Not because of one party's failed international mistakes.
    That is not a fact. That is your opinion.
    Lots of people think the Bush administration is the worst thing that happened to the world in ehr... 50 years, and are willing to blow up a lot of innocent people to make their point.
    They don't share your opinion.
  9. #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    That is not a fact. That is your opinion.
    Lots of people think the Bush administration is the worst thing that happened to the world in ehr... 50 years, and are willing to blow up a lot of innocent people to make their point.
    They don't share your opinion.

    Umm.... couple of comments to this...

    First off, there is absolutely NO WAY you can blame the Bush administration for terrorists hating us.

    9/11 happened very shortly after the start of his presidency started and many many many many many other terrorists attacks against Americans occurred prior to the Bush administration.
    [I can name the U.S.S. cole, attacks on American embassys in Africa (among other places), and the first attack on the world trade center, off the top of my head...although I know there are PLENTY of other occurrences.]

    So, no, that is in NO WAY my opinion. That is FACT.



    Moreover, while I don't support either of the wars.... something like 85 - 90% of Americans were in favor of both wars at the time.

    Funny part is, the Democrats voted for the wars too.
    Although they were less unanimous with the Iraq war of course, there was little IF ANY opposition to the Afghanistan war.


    Note: I'm not trying to suggest that I support the Bush administration because I really don't, but just because I don't like/agree with something doesn't mean I'm going to ignore reality.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 11/28/2010 at 06:58 AM. Reason: spell correction
  10. #150  
    @ Mattykinsx: Are you forgetting about the earlier Bush administration? USS Cole bombing was 12 October 2000. George Bush Sr. president of the USA 1989-1993. That was years before 9-11.

    @GuyfromNam: That situation in Korea is not a good one, it never has been. I've talked to and been friends with vets that were in that war, and not saying any other war was less terrible, but those guys certainly went through hell (1950-53). I really hope they can find a way to, if not resolve(don't think that will happen any time soon), de-escalate the situation.

    @xForsaken: I see you were involved with search & rescue. On what level, were you military?
    I was military straight out of high-school, infantry assault pioneer (infantry/combat engineer), in 3 years, ended up flipping a 5 ton MLVW on a highway and busted my hip...written off by the military. Those were different times back then 1992-97. The biggest thing Canada was involved with in those times were peacekeeping in Cyprus, and then the start of the Yugoslavian Civil War. I was slated to go over to Croatia for a 6 month tour, but the situation changed from UNPROFOR mission to a NATO mission, they put a hold on sending more troops while they re-grouped and I, in the meantime, got injured, and my career pretty much ended there (aside from the last 2 years in re-hab). I don't have any family of mine serving anywhere so can't relate so much, I was the first(and last) to enlist since my grandfather was in the RCAF. You think Canada should step up the military, you may or may not be right.


    http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/584493
    Military's recruiting efforts fall short
    Published On Mon Feb 9 2009EmailPrint(30) Share Rss ArticleComments (30)
    Eighteen-year-old Ryan Cass speaks to Sgt. Gord Kowalishen at the Canadian Forces’ recruiting office in North York on Dec. 10, 2008.

    RENΙ JOHNSTON/TORONTO STAR
    Allan Woods
    OTTAWA BUREAU
    Ads by Google
    What's My House Worth?

    HouseValues' free service helps you
    determine the value of your home.
    www.HouseValues.ca
    OTTAWA–The military has tempered force projections and launched massive recruiting drives but it still can't increase its numbers enough to meet repeated government pledges, a new report finds.

    While the rest of the country trembles in fear of layoffs and unemployment numbers soar, the demand for soldiers, technicians and other specialists in the Canadian Forces outpaced actual growth for yet another year, the Department of National Defence said in an annual report to Parliament.
    It had planned to boost the regular forces to 65,537 in 2007-08 but could only get its numbers up to 64,403.

    "Although the department was very close to meeting their overall recruiting target for ... 2007-08, attrition, at 9 per cent, exceeded projections and CF strength consequently did not increase as expected," the DND performance report said.

    The annual exodus from the ranks of the Canadian Forces, which has been increasing since 2003, is becoming a yearly embarrassment for the Conservative government, which came to power in 2006 promising to boost the number of regular forces by 13,000 within five years.


    That was just a snippet of the article, they are talking of raising the total amount of troops by 13,000 over 5 years. Our military is in no way, shape or form in any sort of readiness for a full, dedicated combat role(I'm talking on it's own with no support) We have an exhausted military from Afghanistan, people just aren't signing up in the numbers needed, the military itself has shied away from enlisting "kids" straight out of high school(like I was) because (finally) they clued into the fact that 17-18 year olds(for the most part) are not street-wise, think they are invincible, and do not have enough common sense in them to be a professional soldier. They have totally re-modelled the way they run basic training ( I have a friend of mine who enlisted with me back in the day, returned to civy life, and re-enlisted a few years back), no more Full Metal Jacket style of basic training, no more babysitting the recruits, not as much yelling, etc, it is TOTALLY up to the recruit if they pass or fail, if they don't want to be there, the military doesn't want them there. Why waste tax-payers money on that?

    I'm sure things have improved slightly, but when I was in, there were a lot of stupid things.... There were radios that weighed 25 pounds (circa Vietnam issue 77 sets)(they had encrypted cell phones, but let's make the guys carry an extra 25 pounds in the field anyways), the combat boots they gave us were crap, the rain gear gave us, if you didn't silicone them, didn't work. When we first got to Afghanistan, we had olive drab uniforms, it wasn't until AFTER we were already deployed that we came up with a new digital camo pattern.

    You say we need to step up our military, and although we have come a long way from 20 years ago, there's still a long way to go before it's "stepped up"
    Last edited by sledge007; 11/28/2010 at 08:04 AM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2’ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  11. #151  
    I'm not saying I blame any Bush administration for anything or everything.
    I'm not the one carrying bombs, so my opinion doesn't really matter.

    I'm saying the guys with bombs do. And you're absolutely right, there were guys with bombs that hated the US before Bush even ran for office. But somehow the hate became more intense during his administration.

    Let's just say the global terrorist threat was "bearable" up until a certain point, even negligible to the larger part of the world, until one day it wasn't

    I'm not turning this into the Dem vs Rep thing; not a US citizen (and they all look the same from where I'm standing ) and no expert on the matter. I'm just giving you what some people think and say in Europe, as outstanders.
  12. #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Are you forgetting about the earlier Bush administration? USS Cole bombing was 12 October 2000. George Bush Sr. president of the USA 1989-1993. That was years before 9-11.
    He wasn't referring to H W.

    And even if you want to speak about that, it's still much more in-depth than just two presidency's and you're fooling no one, but yourself, if you believe it isn't.

    This has been going on for a long, long time. Much beyond any president of the last generation.


    Taking land away and giving it to the Israelis was probably the first major error for the west.
  13. #153  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I'm not saying I blame any Bush administration for anything or everything.
    I'm not the one carrying bombs, so my opinion doesn't really matter.

    I'm saying the guys with bombs do. And you're absolutely right, there were guys with bombs that hated the US before Bush even ran for office. But somehow the hate became more intense during his administration.

    Let's just say the global terrorist threat was "bearable" up until a certain point, even negligible to the larger part of the world, until one day it wasn't

    That's crap.
    First of all, the terrorist threat was NEVER "bearable" it was just ignored until a major U.S. event happened.
    Many, many, many non-U.S. related terrorist events happened previous to 9/11.

    There's two reasons the "hate" [as you say it] became more intense during his administration.

    A) They realized that they can actually do damage [as evidence of 9/11]

    B) and more importantly, people actually started to fight back. They p*ssed the U.S. off to the point where they decided to actually do more than bomb a factory that wasn't known to be abandoned for months prior [what was that, Kosovo]. Of course the hate is more now, because we're actually going in and killing them.
  14. #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Thanks for that.
    No offense man but it is.

    I wonder what all the people that died, previous to 9/11, via terrorists attacks would say to
    Let's just say the global terrorist threat was "bearable" up until a certain point, even negligible to the larger part of the world, until one day it wasn't
    The only thing that was happening was the terrorist situation being put on "ignore."
    That is, until 9/11
  15. #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    He wasn't referring to H W.

    And even if you want to speak about that, it's still much more in-depth than just two presidency's and you're fooling no one, but yourself, if you believe it isn't.

    This has been going on for a long, long time. Much beyond any president of the last generation.


    Taking land away and giving it to the Israelis was probably the first major error for the west.
    That was actually a reply to your post #159 and yes, I know it's been going for a long time prior to that.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2’ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  16. #156  
    I really don't see an end. I don't think the powers that be want an 'end'. But i'll save the conspiracy theories for another thread. At this point we're in a darned if we do, darned if we don't situation. But I say, we gradually abandon 100% of all of our military involvement in the middle east (including support of Israel) and use our power to protect our borders AT HOME. Preemption seems to be equivalent to provoking. I have no problem with Israel, but It's time we stop meddling in the political affairs of others. There are too many issues here in the US for our tax payer dollars to be spent fighting someone elses wars. Furthermore, our military campaigns there are amounting to nothing more than an attempt to kill a culture. There are some things we will never see eye to eye on, and we probably need to accept that. Democracy, should be imposed by the people, not by foreign powers. It will only be stable when the people themselves are willing to fight and die for it.
  17. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #157  
    (Sorry if I made it sound like I was trying to make it Republicans vs. Democrats, I dislike Democratic politicians almost as much as I do Republican politicians.)

    Bush didn't give a damn about terrorism. His primary focus throughout his administration was Iraq and Saddam - finishing what daddy started.

    Both Clinton and Bush (Jr.) had opportunities to deal with Al Qaeda and Osama during their presidencies before 9-11 but didn't do enough to prevent an attack on US soil.

    Good read: Cindy Sheehan: NIEs: Waste of Time? | BuzzFlash.org

    But still, dealing with one terrorist organization without changing the attitude that made them angry towards us doesn't fix the problem - different groups will form as a resistance to western imperialism until we stop trying to control the world.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  18. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    But still, dealing with one terrorist organization without changing the attitude that made them angry towards us doesn't fix the problem - different groups will form as a resistance to western imperialism until we stop trying to control the world.
    And if we minded our own business the threats would end? Do you know the first US President who had to deal with an unpopular war over a similar type of threat? If you do, can you tell me what foreign policy practice had dredged up such anger?
  19. #159  
    @Jlegacy did you really say something about us changing what made them mad?

    by that logic, when your daughter or sister wears a skimpy dress, gwtting raped is HER fault. Seriously, you lost points on that.
  20. #160  
    All we need to do is GET RID of the "rules of war" and let our troops just do their job.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions