Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 377
  1. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Yes, "they" are. And we have a pretty good idea who they are. They are not your seven year old son or your 90 year old grandmother from Dubuque.
    What about a 90 year old man?

    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I wonder what will happen when a devout muslim woman has to chooe between a full body scan and an intrusive pat down.
    Good question.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Terror is a state of mind. The only control over us that terrorists have is the control we give them. In order to defuse the threat of terrorism we need only to refuse to be terrorized.
    I agree, even though it's not an easy task. (refuse to be terroized) :/
  4. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Let's tell that 10 year olds in school. "Just say you refuse to be teased."
    Then we need to stop acting like 10 year-olds and understand that we live in a dangerous world where nothing is guaranteed. Yes, economic prosperity depends on a certain amount of security. But, as we've seen in the recent past, too much security (or perceived security) breeds laziness.

    If someone wants to bleed your economy to death because (a) you don't accept his one and true God (blahblah), (b) you've supported Israel in the Palestinian conflict since ever, or (c) allegedly conquer countries to take over 3 of the world's top 10 oil reserves, there's little you can do except waste billions in security.
    Just one small example, Morocco is 98% Muslim, does not side with Israel, and has not participated in any significant way in the two recent wars.
  5. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    What about a 90 year old man?

    That's a good point. Maybe we should employ the pinch test along with the groping. Seriously, though, I think there were many other lapses in security that went along with this one.
  6. #66  
    I will use the following analogy that I have always used since "then".

    Group A:

    Break into your house, rape and kill your wife and kids, dog, etc.

    Group B:

    Smoke weed, drink, and beat their wives and girlfriends.

    You find your family dead, arm yourself, round up your "posse" and proceed to bring the pain to **GROUP B**. But wait! You say. Group B had kidde pr0n, we had to stop them. What's that you say? Your friends, boyfriends, sisters, uncle saw the kiddie pr0n? Well, then it MUST be there...

    So now you've "eliminated the threat" of Group B. Be proud, after all the one who raped and killed your family is still free, plotting to do more next time, bur at least those guys won't be smoking weed and beating their wives.


    Last edited by cobrakon; 11/23/2010 at 01:55 PM.
  7. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #67  
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by tman9476 View Post
    You can't give hugs with nuclear arms.
    Somehow, I don't think hugging a terrorist is going to solve the problem!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post
    We were not in Vietnam originally to fight against the North Vietnamese. We were actually there to help the French in Indochina. It was only after we were attacked by the Viet Cong that we chose to respond. Prior to that, we were specifically not allowed to battle South Vietnam's enemies.

    My post was in response to someone else's claim that we should keep our nose out of things that have nothing to do with us. We didn't go looking for a fight with the Viet Cong, they came after us.
    I read up a little on it, and kinda looks like you're right. We didn't spend a whole lot of time on Vietnam in high school as both World Wars were more important to Canadian history than Vietnam, for obvious reasons. Thanks for the insight.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I'm aware of that. Nevertheless, there are a lot of immigrants from Morocco in Holland, Belgium, Germany and France, and that's where a lot of the terrorist thread in Europe is coming from...

    Also, Morocco's position does not alter extremist targets and motives, so what's your point?
    i would point to the home grown version of this little group. yes many are from the middle east, many more are born and raised right in our own countries. Canada has had a few. I look to a recent report where several (5 i think) french people were kidnapped. The statement, your attack on the muslim nation must be stopped, you can have these people back when you stop the ban on head scarves etc etc in France.
    In a portion of Toronto, it came very close to having Shairia law being the law of the land. At the last minute, clearer heads prevailed. Canada is a melting pot, with many diverse people, many diverse religions, much like the states. Ultimately, this is Canada, and Canadian values must hold sway.
    I personally do not want to see some poor young woman being stoned to death in down town Toronto because some yo yo says his Koran says so.

    Im pretty left wing compared to many here, but even I draw the line on this. If you want it just like at home, bloody well stay there. This is not Iran, Iraq, Syria, or any other bloody country over there. This is (insert your western country here), and we have our values. Attack me or mine, than, prepare to get carpet bombed. Sorry but that is just how I feel about it.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Smoke weed, drink, and beat their wives
    I don't know about you but last time I had a fair amount to drink and smoked a doobie, I either a) raided the fridge and cupboards and passed out or b) got the spins and passed out.

    I can't ever recall feeling violent after smoking a joint (by itself).

    I can't say the same about alcohol, that will fuel rage faster than anything.

    So let's leave the weed out of that equation

    (sorry for the tangent, I couldn't resist, now back to our regular scheduled programming )
  12. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I'm aware of that. Nevertheless, there are a lot of immigrants from Morocco in Holland, Belgium, Germany and France, and that's where a lot of the terrorist thread in Europe is coming from...

    Also, Morocco's position does not alter extremist targets and motives, so what's your point?
    My point is Morocco is, itself, the target of extremist attacks. If, as you said, our problem is our foreign policy then one would expect that a country that has very little in common our foreign policy would be not be a target of those same extremists.
  13. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Somehow, I don't think hugging a terrorist is going to solve the problem!
    Depends on how hard you hug them.
  14. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    i would point to the home grown version of this little group. yes many are from the middle east, many more are born and raised right in our own countries. Canada has had a few. I look to a recent report where several (5 i think) french people were kidnapped. The statement, your attack on the muslim nation must be stopped, you can have these people back when you stop the ban on head scarves etc etc in France.
    In a portion of Toronto, it came very close to having Shairia law being the law of the land. At the last minute, clearer heads prevailed. Canada is a melting pot, with many diverse people, many diverse religions, much like the states. Ultimately, this is Canada, and Canadian values must hold sway.
    I personally do not want to see some poor young woman being stoned to death in down town Toronto because some yo yo says his Koran says so.
    I thought the refrain was "the US is a melting pot, Canada is a mosaic." Of course, you're right. Canada is, and must remain, a melting pot with the Canadian culture and ethos at the center.

    Im pretty left wing compared to many here...
    We're not through with you yet!
  15. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    I will use the following analogy that I have always used since "then".

    Group A:

    Break into your house, rape and kill your wife and kids, dog, etc.

    Group B:

    Smoke weed, drink, and beat their wives and girlfriends.

    You find your family dead, arm yourself, round up your "posse" and proceed to bring the pain to **GROUP B**. But wait! You say. Group B had kidde pr0n, we had to stop them. What's that you say? Your friends, boyfriends, sisters, uncle saw the kiddie pr0n? Well, then it MUST be there...

    So now you've "eliminated the threat" of Group B. Be proud, after all the one who raped and killed your family is still free, plotting to do more next time, bur at least those guys won't be smoking weed and beating their wives.


    Dude, that's messed up! Did they have to kill the dog?
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Canada is, and must remain, a melting pot with the Canadian culture and ethos at the center.
    Actually, Canada not so much. otherwise how do you explain that Quebec is always trying to secede, and insist on the French language being co-equal, even in other parts of canada.

    Language is often more devisive than politics or religion (ever hear the tower of babel story?).

    They continue to attempt sucession, and to keep themselves separate as "french canadians". Ironicall, people in France look down on "french canadians" as being ignorant and unsophisticated - and undeserving of the term "french" in calling themselves french-canadian.
  17. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Actually, Canada not so much. otherwise how do you explain that Quebec is always trying to secede, and insist on the French language being co-equal, even in other parts of canada.

    Language is often more devisive than politics or religion (ever hear the tower of babel story?).

    They continue to attempt sucession, and to keep themselves separate as "french canadians". Ironicall, people in France look down on "french canadians" as being ignorant and unsophisticated - and undeserving of the term "french" in calling themselves french-canadian.
    Good points, but even Quebec has a distinctly Canadian character and the Quebecer cultural influences extend far outside the province. Heck, you can get poutine at any Calgary McDonald's.
  18. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Living in Holland with a Moroccan guy as my best friend, I wasn't aware of any recent attacks. I may be wrong. He's not very political.



    Obviously, islamic extremists have more than enough reason to terrorize moderate states or their own moderate government.

    To get back on topic, quite a few people in the Arab world just hate the US for all sorts of reasons, which do not necessarily need to be true. Of those people, less than 0.0001 percent wants to hug you wearing a bomb vest.

    You can talk statistics and not take drastic security meassures, but will that have a positive impact on global economy?
    Yes, I think if the security measures were proportional to the threat it would have a positive impact on the global economy. Broad-brush measures and zero tolerance policies, on the other hand, often hurt more than they help.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post
    Oh that's right...a dictatorship is waaaaayyy better than democracy. You're both wrong on this one.
    And it is our job to topple all governments that have "dictators?"

    "Team America World Police" was NOT a documentary film...
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

    "I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
  20. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    "Team America World Police" was NOT a documentary film...
    I know, dammit! I know!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions