Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Are you looking for offensive or defensive ways, dbd?

Defensively, I'm thinking that we need to profile. I know, totally npc, but it's either that, or treat everyone as if they're a potential terrorist.

Offensively, I'm all for stealth and black ops for taking them out quietly. Pounding them with bombs only makes them scattered and angry.
    i dont disagree micael, either works for me, i would suggest both, the carpet bombing when we want to make a point, as in you messed with country X, now they are messing with you, or quietly, having them roll outta bed in the morning to find out they ummmm expired in their sleep.. lol.. the isreali (sp) mossad prior to getting caught, was exactly the course that is required, plausiable deniablity.. can you prove it was us?? do you have any proof at all, no you dont, so its just as likely it was one of your enemies in the middle east that did this too you.... hmmmm .. i am not for profiling as it is used here, by police forces, however, we are not talking about some yo yo who car jacks, we are talking about some ***** that wants to wipe out a large portion of the the western world.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post
    Please please PLEASE! Give us one example of an unnecessary situation that we should have left alone where there was ZERO, NADA, NOTHING to gain by getting involved.
    The second Iraq war...
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    The second Iraq war...
    You beat me to the punch. Plus more, but I'd rather keep this thread the way it is.
    Terrorism solution: Kick and forget taking names, just read the dogtags, later!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I'm not an expert or anything but I'm pretty sure is not the best way to stop the threat of terrorism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    The second Iraq war...
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    You beat me to the punch. Plus more, but I'd rather keep this thread the way it is.
    Oh that's right...a dictatorship is waaaaayyy better than democracy. You're both wrong on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I'm not an expert or anything but I'm pretty sure this is not the best way to stop the threat of terrorism.
    But, in recent years, it has become the one preferred by the U.S.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    But we have to be nice to all... Terrorists have feelings to... And their NOT terrorists they're Freedom fighters
    Remember Rambo III? And whose side were we on? The Muhajadeen....or the terrorists. It was conveinient at the time because the Russians were the bigger threat. Same as when in the 80's when Iran was the threat and we backed the Iraqis. Foreign policy needs to change and needs to be shown to the rest of the world that it has changed. When these people that live in caves and shacks made out of mud see the affluent lifestyle that we, the Western world live in, they are probably a little on the P.O.'ed side. Granted you are what you make of yourself, but if you are born into poverty, with little food, little resources, little help from the rest of the world and no other hope but when you die, it'll all be better... there aren't too many options are there?

I'm not agreeing, or condoning their actions, but there HAS to be a better solution than dropping bombs. Iraq was a joke and the whole world knows it. The whole pretense of WMD & Osama bin Ladin...completely fabricated as an excuse to invade and for what? What was really accomplished?.... A LOT of people died, on both sides.... Comparable to shooting fish in a barrel ( and if you watch Mythbusters... A lot harder than you think )... We got rid of big, bad Saddam, who wasn't the best dictator by any means, but certainly had control over all the freelance radicals. I wonder what the REAL state of that country will be once the final withdraw has finished..

Take or leave what you like, I did serve my country for 5 years, back in the '90's, I carry the scar, the surgical steel and the Veteran's licence plate with pride.

Hopefully (and they say this all the time) that lessons will be learned, those that died didn't do so in vain, and we'll never forget.

You can't fight fire with fire,(although you can put out a gas-well with an explosion), it just makes a bigger fire.
    one

red

button!
    I see pandas.
    This is how you do it.

...I think not, this would cause more enemy on yourself.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    But, in recent years, it has become the one preferred by the U.S.
    Sadly, true, but it's our own fault. We have a "do something" mentality and we elect politicians who cater to that. So, any time any little (or big) thing happens we feel like we have to do something about it. One more little step, one more little inconvenience, one more small intrusion in our lives... and the death by a thousand cuts continues.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Terror is a state of mind. The only control over us that terrorists have is the control we give them. In order to defuse the threat of terrorism we need only to refuse to be terrorized.
    Basically we need to step it back quite a bit. We need to realize that our freedoms come with less "security" and simply live with it rather than giving up more and more freedoms to FEEL more "secure".

If we change the way we live because of the threat of terrorism then, "The terrorists win". And right now, they ARE winning...
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Terror is a state of mind. The only control over us that terrorists have is the control we give them. In order to defuse the threat of terrorism we need only to refuse to be terrorized.
    I get what you're saying, but this just effects our mindset and how me live our lives. Meanwhile, they are plotting to blow us up.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post
    Please please PLEASE! Give us one example of an unnecessary situation that we should have left alone where there was ZERO, NADA, NOTHING to gain by getting involved.
    Vietnam
  16.    #56  
    I'm glad Groovy posted this link: http://blogs.news.sky.com/foreignmat...2-a7725d0e3869

In the year after we got hit due to our complacency nine years ago, this is what the talk was... That they wanted to follow-up with small-scale economical "attacks" that would cripple us slowly but surely.

This approach provides a two-fold benefit for them:

#1 - Dramatic low cost to them relative to our losses.

#2 - Small, low-visability, "attacks" can cause a "divide and conquer" effect; because certain political groups will claim we need to something immediately, while others will claim that we're over-reacting.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/23/2010 at 12:37 PM.
    We were not in Vietnam originally to fight against the North Vietnamese. We were actually there to help the French in Indochina. It was only after we were attacked by the Viet Cong that we chose to respond. Prior to that, we were specifically not allowed to battle South Vietnam's enemies.

My post was in response to someone else's claim that we should keep our nose out of things that have nothing to do with us. We didn't go looking for a fight with the Viet Cong, they came after us.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    This is how you do it.

...I think not, this would cause more enemy on yourself.

You can't give hugs with nuclear arms.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I get what you're saying, but this just effects our mindset and how me live our lives. Meanwhile, they are plotting to blow us up.

Yes, "they" are. And we have a pretty good idea who they are. They are not your seven year old son or your 90 year old grandmother from Dubuque.
    I wonder what will happen when a devout muslim woman has to chooe between a full body scan and an intrusive pat down.
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast